Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Plaid, or not to Plaid....that's a good question!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fully agree with you... have only bought one new car in my lifetime, about when I bought my first new computer, 386

The savings have enabled me to be able to afford one now.

Being retired, said savings are in my emergency cash fund, but it does no good there making 0.60% which is taxable.

Can get a car loan for 0.99%, or signature loan for 2.2% from my CU.

The perspective of many here is they don't want to wait for a new car much less a used one three or so years out, so I won't try to change anyone's mind on that.
To me time is far more valuable than money. Three years is a long time to wait for a car you want today.

Yes, but what if you looked at it from being on the other end of the transaction? ;)

I have a 20 year old son that is about 80% physically disabled. He can drive safely, but not for long periods of time.

I'm actually buying the Plaid to set him up in his own business. I'll help him get an LLC going, and supply my Plaid and my Model 3 Performance to him as assets owned by the LLC, so he can depreciate them on the business's taxes. I'll have clean title on both, so I can sell both cars to him, have them titled in the business's name, and set him up on a zero percent "loan" to pay me back for them.

He is then going to rent out both cars on Turo. Yes, I know going into this that both cars will be subject to renter's abuse. It's unavoidable and part of "the business."

But it gives him an opportunity to actually have a job, make money, give him business experience.. basically, it gives him an opportunity to have some sort of a life other than just sitting in the house all day dealing with constant pain.

The entire family is backing him up on this... I'll teach him the keeping the books side of the business (I've owned small businesses before), and help with deliveries and pickups. The wife is going to handle logistics (we're getting a dedicated cell phone just for the business), and my daughter is going to handle vehicle cleaning. My son will pitch in as much as possible.

I'm not saying you need to go to this extreme, but renting your Plaid out on Turo a few days per month can really help take the sting out of the price difference between a LR and a Plaid, but you do need to understand that the car *will* be abused.
Tell me when he opens a branch in LA, I'll be waiting.

You know the Tesloop story I am sure.

Really impressed with your plan, and best of luck to you and your son!

I got great amusement reading these posts. There are some serious gymnastics involved substantiating which model to buy. It's simple really. Life is short. Get the car you want and get enjoyment from it. Period. Don't obsess. Don't pull a hammy trying to get it to make financial sense. You can convince yourself of anything and sometimes, even convince yourself it makes financial sense. Except for very rare occasions, cars are depreciating assets and rarely does it make sense to buy the more expensive model. But if it puts a smile on your face, it's the right car for you. Now go buy the Plaid and drive the hell out of it! Cheers!

Yes, but what if you looked at it from being on the other end of the transaction? ;)

I have a 20 year old son that is about 80% physically disabled. He can drive safely, but not for long periods of time.

I'm actually buying the Plaid to set him up in his own business. I'll help him get an LLC going, and supply my Plaid and my Model 3 Performance to him as assets owned by the LLC, so he can depreciate them on the business's taxes. I'll have clean title on both, so I can sell both cars to him, have them titled in the business's name, and set him up on a zero percent "loan" to pay me back for them.

He is then going to rent out both cars on Turo. Yes, I know going into this that both cars will be subject to renter's abuse. It's unavoidable and part of "the business."

But it gives him an opportunity to actually have a job, make money, give him business experience.. basically, it gives him an opportunity to have some sort of a life other than just sitting in the house all day dealing with constant pain.

The entire family is backing him up on this... I'll teach him the keeping the books side of the business (I've owned small businesses before), and help with deliveries and pickups. The wife is going to handle logistics (we're getting a dedicated cell phone just for the business), and my daughter is going to handle vehicle cleaning. My son will pitch in as much as possible.

I'm not saying you need to go to this extreme, but renting your Plaid out on Turo a few days per month can really help take the sting out of the price difference between a LR and a Plaid, but you do need to understand that the car *will* be abused.
You’re an amazing father.

I got great amusement reading these posts. There are some serious gymnastics involved substantiating which model to buy. It's simple really. Life is short. Get the car you want and get enjoyment from it. Period. Don't obsess. Don't pull a hammy trying to get it to make financial sense. You can convince yourself of anything and sometimes, even convince yourself it makes financial sense. Except for very rare occasions, cars are depreciating assets and rarely does it make sense to buy the more expensive model. But if it puts a smile on your face, it's the right car for you. Now go buy the Plaid and drive the hell out of it! Cheers!

A good trade study can guide you to see if you are on the right track, or not. I have done lots of these in prior lives, not for everyone I know.

Let's say all you care about is 0-60 speed vs 5 year cost to own, compared to an average old MS.

According to my calcs, the LR is a looser. 24% faster, but 78% higher cost.

Color/CF Plaid with 21's is 52% faster and 52% higher cost.

Surprisingly, the CT trimotor is 31% faster and 35% more. It seems to be the winner, if only it was a available.

My last century ICE is 78% slower and 60% cheaper. Keeping it as the family trash hauler and for sentimental reasons.

Great thing you are doing for your kid. EV's handle abuse better than most any high performance ICE.
Consider measuring your tires before and after rental. Charge an extra premium for above normal wear. Will tend to keep people from just ragging out the car.

I did not get an updated insurance quote for Plaid, so that might be higher than I assumed...but even so, I don't see the LR competing well on speed per dollar.
When I got my Plaid I just sent my insurance agent the VIN and asked him replace the pre-refresh 2021 LR+ which had been sold. No change in insurance rate for me even though I was expecting it.

When I got my Plaid I just sent my insurance agent the VIN and asked him replace the pre-refresh 2021 LR+ which had been sold. No change in insurance rate for me even though I was expecting it.

Same for me with the P90D and the Model 3 base vs Model 3 performance. Somehow the insurance underwriters don't differentiate between base models and performance models for cost. Maybe risk is the same?

But...I'm sure you included FUSC...lol
Kinda. Back in 2013, there were so few SC and none on the routes I mostly traveled, that it was a non-issue. However, fuel costs savings did win my wife over. At the time, I was driving about 900 miles per month and the cost savings of electricity over gas made it a lot easier conversation.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Kinda. Back in 2013, there were so few SC and none on the routes I mostly traveled, that it was a non-issue. However, fuel costs savings did win my wife over. At the time, I was driving about 900 miles per month and the cost savings of electricity over gas made it a lot easier conversation.
I just like never having to frequent a gas station in the cold or rain. Don’t miss that at all!