Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Plaid or Not to Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've made the decision to go all-electric as my wife has been a Tesla for 4 years. I am going to go Model S route.

I have two vehicle is mind... One is a Plaid and Another A Long Range. Details below:

Option 1:

2021 Tesla Model S LR
15,000 Miles
White with Black
19" Tempest
Price: $89,000

Option 2:

2021 Tesla Model S Plaid
18,000 Miles
Midnight Silver with Black
21" Archanids
Price: $109,500

A large consideration is re-sale value. Vehicles are NOT investments, however I change vehicles every 6-9 months so I want to buy the vehicle with the biggest market and sellability. I drive less than 10K miles per year (WFH). Curious to thoughts on the best route to go and "better deal"

Honestly, I think this is a much easier question to answer these days if the price difference isn't a significant one due to the fact that the range is not that detrimental on the performance variant. If the price Delta were of significant importance to you my guess is this decision would be much easier over $20,000 as that's not an insignificant sum of money.

You may see a slightly flatter depreciation curve on the Plaid due to notoriety & scarcity for resale but when the entry point is $20,000 higher it also means that said delta will be a little bit steeper in the beginning. My guess is that the net of these two factors will cancel out when you get ready to resell or trade.

Years ago it was a significant difference between the range of similar vehicles so I think the decision was more difficult. Now, you get a performance car with range that's nearly 400mi which is significantly more than what was considered the range version of the car only a few short years ago. Hell, choice in wheels alone between those two different cars can make up the difference in range whereas you couldn't do that previously even with extreme examples of both due to the significant difference.

Are there other differences between those cars? In other words, does one have a color combo you like a little bit more? Are they both local? Maybe more important of a question from a financial standpoint is what autopilot software does each one have?

Don't get me wrong, on paper those performance numbers between the Plaid & LR are substantial. But in day-to-day use you're not going to be pinning the accelerator pedal to the floor after some time of ownership. This is when the other differences become more apparent but still not worth the price Delta to me anyway. I like to get cars about three or four years old once that depreciation curve starts to flatten out more.

Being as you brought up the financial aspect of cars and seem to have that near the top of your list I would keep depreciation front of mind as you make your decision if you're buying used anyway.

All that said, I'm not sure I would buy either one. Still too much depreciation to be had and it's also the first year of what is effectively a refreshed car or the closest thing to a new generation Tesla Model S since they came out a decade ago. I would argue that this is technically a Gen 3 since the 2016.5 refresh would be a second generation car by traditional vehicle standards given the number of updates. This one is even more significant than that one was as the previous one was largely a re-skinning with a few feature adds. For my financial standpoint, there's some really sweet deals on 2019s and 2020s as people are anxious to get out of them for the all-new car when the performance differences are negligible at best. The 2019 introduced the Raven which had an upgraded suspension in a couple other nice features over the dated SaS suspension in terms of ride quality and most likely long-term reliability. Time will tell on that last part but the ride quality improvements will be something that does stand out from day-to-day use.

Of course your YMMV but that's how I approach most larger financial decisions. I make small sacrifices to have something with a lower likelihood of depreciation. Historically, regardless of make, the largest new vehicle depreciation will be year one, followed by year two then year three. By year 4 that line starts to taper more & you can generally find gems if you're willing to look.

If you disagree with everything I said and end up with either one of those 2021 Model S's, well... That doesn't suck either. ;)

Reactions: SilverGS
On the 19" vs 21" debate - the 21" will handle better, and the 19" will be more comfortable and less likely to have a flat. I would not call either one inferior - they are optimized for specific desires.

If you want absolute maximum performance, then Plaid is definitely the way to go. At the same time, you may be more than happy with the performance of the LR, which exceeds 99% of the cars on the road today and has a bit more range. Both are excellent choices.

Other than a spoiler, some minor trim differences, they are pretty much the same car other than the HP difference. The LR is no slouch and has ~700HP. The vast majority of the time I can never use the power it has let alone if I had a Plaid. The 21's do make a big hit in the range department and has the drawbacks others mentioned.

I think in general the Plaid resale will be more affected by competing EVs that are quicker or if Tesla comes out with something better. Keep in mind that the LR version is a little bit slower than the outgoing performance version to 60 mph but is quicker than it from about 40-50 mph on up.

If Tesla had unlocked the launch ability on the LR, it would be a solid 2 second 0-60 car. Instead the make it launch slower than it is capable of. It still is a 10 second 1/4 mile car with trap speed of about 130 mph. So you still have the performance of a Lambo in a 5 seat car.

The suspension is the same between the cars so no upgrade there and they really should have put better brakes on the Plaid if you are going to run it hard. On my LR, it can easily push them to the limit if driving the car hard like I would on the track. For normal driving they are fine.

Every day, with the crappy roads I have, I am glad I am rolling on the 19's. Ride compliance is a lot better and the car still sticks pretty well and they are all season and not terrible in snow. Also a lot cheaper to replace. Both cars are likely going to need tires soon but more likely on the Plaid.

Also keep in mind, a lot of the people who bought the Plaids likely hammered the crap out of them with a lot of hard runs. Then again you might have found one where the first hard launch scared the crap out of them and then never tested again.

Reactions: drunkenbuda
I've made the decision to go all-electric as my wife has been a Tesla for 4 years. I am going to go Model S route.

I have two vehicle is mind... One is a Plaid and Another A Long Range. Details below:

Option 1:

2021 Tesla Model S LR
15,000 Miles
White with Black
19" Tempest
Price: $89,000

Option 2:

2021 Tesla Model S Plaid
18,000 Miles
Midnight Silver with Black
21" Archanids
Price: $109,500

A large consideration is re-sale value. Vehicles are NOT investments, however I change vehicles every 6-9 months so I want to buy the vehicle with the biggest market and sellability. I drive less than 10K miles per year (WFH). Curious to thoughts on the best route to go and "better deal"
$20,000 is a pretty big difference but if you can afford I would go with Plaid 100% sure.

As someone who has the LR but drove the Plaid (rental) for a few days, my personal opinion is - definitely go Plaid.
Let's say you go LR, then some time later a friend gives you their Plaid for a test drive...next thing you know, you fall in love with the insane kick in the back you get every time you step on the Plaid, and your car now feels like a toy, while the Plaid feels like a Batmobile. Of course, if you don't care about the acceleration that much, go for the cheaper option but if you do - definitely Plaid, the difference feels insane!

I’m not in any way trying to be offensive to those that choose the LR. But i bought the plaid for the performance, nothing else. There’s way better cars out there than the LR for the price. But nothing comes even close to the Plaid acceleration wise.
No offense taken, but just for the record I must disagree that there are better cars than LR for this price tag...depends on what you value of course, but I am a tech geek so nothing comes even remotely close to Tesla in terms of software capabilities...the closest I've seen is Rivian but still not as mature (software wise...build quality wise they are far superior imho).

205lbs lighter is a lot of weight to me, not to mention if he wants range he will need to purchase 19's with tires.

2nd thought, don't buy the LR. Go for the Plaid. 😁
Speaking in terms of relativity, of course. That 205lbs on the bike in your avatar would be like a 50% increase in weight and make night & day difference in performance. On something like a 5,000lb Model S however, it's about a 4% difference in weight. This difference relative to the total weight won't even be noticeable in any appreciable way that you plan to use the vehicle for. The affect on range is nominal (something easily regulated like tire pressure will have a far more significant impact on this) and anyone who's concerned about a 4% difference in weight for other performance aspects will likely be more interested in the Plaid anyway. That thing is just a savage among docile toddlers.

• Funny
Reactions: iyordanov
No offense taken, but just for the record I must disagree that there are better cars than LR for this price tag...depends on what you value of course, but I am a tech geek so nothing comes even remotely close to Tesla in terms of software capabilities...the closest I've seen is Rivian but still not as mature (software wise...build quality wise they are far superior imho).
Depends whether you’re more interested in a car or a computer.

As someone who drove an LR loaner for two weeks while my Plaid was getting serviced, there is no comparison. I really missed my Plaid, as did my daughter. You won’t really notice a difference during normal driving and acceleration, but you just don’t get that gut punch in the LR like you do in the Plaid when accelerating. If I were you, I’d get the Plaid, buy 19” Signature Wheels, put on the stock Pirelli P Zeros, and sell the 21” Arachnids. You won’t recoup the entire cost of the new wheels and tires, but you’ll get lighter wheels and better range than the 21“ Arachnids. Then again, you’re spending over $100k on a car; I don’t think a few grand will break the bank. I put the factory Pirellis from my stock 19” Tempest wheels on 19” Signature Wheel SV104s and my butt-dyno noticed better acceleration and handling. Andrew with Tesla Plaid Channel on YouTube races with the stock 19“ wheels and tires and says the Pirellis are a close second to the Michelin PS4s he raced with on his MS Performance. The performance of the Plaid is worth every penny.

As someone who drove an LR loaner for two weeks while my Plaid was getting serviced, there is no comparison. I really missed my Plaid, as did my daughter. You won’t really notice a difference during normal driving and acceleration, but you just don’t get that gut punch in the LR like you do in the Plaid when accelerating. If I were you, I’d get the Plaid, buy 19” Signature Wheels, put on the stock Pirelli P Zeros, and sell the 21” Arachnids. You won’t recoup the entire cost of the new wheels and tires, but you’ll get lighter wheels and better range than the 21“ Arachnids. Then again, you’re spending over $100k on a car; I don’t think a few grand will break the bank. I put the factory Pirellis from my stock 19” Tempest wheels on 19” Signature Wheel SV104s and my butt-dyno noticed better acceleration and handling. Andrew with Tesla Plaid Channel on YouTube races with the stock 19“ wheels and tires and says the Pirellis are a close second to the Michelin PS4s he raced with on his MS Performance. The performance of the Plaid is worth every penny.

I have also watched Tesla Plaid Channel on YT and noticed he prefers the stock 19s vs 21 Arachnids for the drag strip. This is ofc on a prepped surface, and I have seen people mention that the 21s might be faster on the street, simply because the PS4S tires provides better grip than the P Zeros on the 19s. But you have found the stock P Zeros to give enough grip for a Plaid launch? I have yet to see a direct comparison between the two regarding acceleration.