TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

To plug in og not to plug in, that`s the question!

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by taraquin, Feb 26, 2014.

1. taraquin

taraquin Member

Untill recently Tesla adviced me to not plug in unless I had to charge due to errors etc when the charging completed (live in Norway), but a recent softwareupdate fixed this and now it just says charging complete etc. I know taht Tesla advises me to have the car plugged in at all times, but the circuit at home is a bit unstable, which still gives errors on rare occations. If the temperature is between 0-25C (always in shadows) and the car is not directly in the sun, keeping the car plugged in overnight seems to do nothing, even at a lot colder temperatures nothing happends which makes me wonder if it really makes a difference to keep it unplugged or not? I want my battery to have the longest lonevity possible, but if it doesn`t matter if I plug in or not I`d rather keep it unplugged... Any opinions?

2. taraquin

taraquin Member

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

More or less: A plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla. If the circuit is unstable, and you can't fix it, just lower the amps.

4. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

Warmer weather here in Virginia, USA but I don't always rest my car plugged in. Warm weather (> 15C) I'll charge up every 2 or 3 days. In winter I tend to plug the car in every night, but I haven't noticed that much difference in warm up times on the battery, etc. I do like to use shore power to pre-heat the car though in winter.

5. Freeride

Freeride Member

I`ve been concluding to myself that the reason Tesla wants us to always plug in is:

1) Protect the battery from bricking. Yes it doesn`t do this overnight, but it`s the same as holding a hand in the hand rails while going down the stairs.
    2) Protect battery from overheating or extreme cold. I`ve overheard a Tesla employee in Norway saying to customers that if the Model S is not plugged in, the BMS cannot start up any actions to prevent cooling or heating of the battery.

I have no troubles understanding Teslas view on no 1. About no.2 I`ve been thinking about sending a mail to the more technical people in Tesla to get more information.
    I feel that I know too little about the BMS of the car. I want to know everything :tongue:

I only plug my vechicle in to keep it between 40%-75%. My car is unplugged most of the time.

6. glhs272

glhs272 Unnamed plug faced villian

I try to plug in whenever possible in order to keep the depth of charge as shallow as possible. @25,000 miles on my 60, I still get 208+ miles of rated range. So, this strategy appears to be working for me anyway.

7. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member