TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

To plug in or not? That is the question.

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Panacea, May 22, 2013.

1. Panacea

Panacea TSLA Shareholder/Believer

I'll be away for about a week. The car will be left in the garage. I was thinking about leaving my car plugged in with the 110 adaptor and not the normal NEMA 14-50 adaptor. Then, I read a post about the melting adaptors and now I am second guessing myself. Any words of advice would be most appreciated.

2. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Leave it plugged into the 14-50. The car will wake up once a day and top off the charge, and it's more efficient using 240V/40amp than it is at 110/15.

For only a week away you could choose to leave it unplugged, but why? If your return was delayed for some reason, you could wind up worrying about the state of the battery pack when you'd probably have plenty to worry about already.

3. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Leave it plugged in to 120v. The efficiency difference is minimal, 85% vs 87%, and you don't have to worry about a melting 240v adapter while you're gone.

4. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

The 14-50 adapter's melting is likely due to sustained heat. I'm not sure you'd have enough sustained charge time to melt the adapter.

5. Lightning Jeff

Lightning Jeff Model S #4214

Exactly. You won't be generating any significant, sustained heat during this time. Everything cools down once serious charging is done. I took a two-week trip days after getting my S. I left it plugged into the 14-50 the whole time (and checked my garage security cam several times daily to check on my new baby and flash its lights). No issues.

6. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

I did the exact same thing!

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Rather than swapping out the adapter and plugging into a different 120 v outlet, why not just dial the amperage down to, say, 12 amps while you're away.

8. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Always plug in. 110 or 240, makes no difference. If you are worried, use 110V.

9. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Maybe that when the sleep mode will be implemented on Model S the Shakespearean question starting this thread will be solved without any need to plug in when the car is left in the garage for a long period?