Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To PUP or not to PUP. . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decisions, decisions.
The PUP currently offered for the MX is somewhat of a mixed bag. I am all for streamlining the S-curve for the Model 3 ramp, but the valueprop for me as a customer concerning the PUP is now pretty cloudy.

I'm all about the sound. When I drive the coolest car this planet has to offer, I want to enable a great audiograde experience. Driving without music is like extracting ethanol from wine, it's just not that enjoyable.
In Norway the PUP includes;
- Ultra HI FI
- Hepa BioDef
- Winter pack.
- Selfpres. doors
at a spectacular price of NOK 49400, or ca. USD 6300.

That my friends... is STEEP.

I really don't care about The Doors (other than the band) and the other stuff is "nice to have", especially the heated wheel, but they're no dealbreakers.

On the other hand, PUP is not possible to add later, and comes at a real cost of USD 50 pr month at the current 0,25% interest rate (nominal, 10 years).

What are your thoughts? Ultra Hi-Fi worth it or the other stuff good for depreciation considerations. Standard sound good enough?

Please share and help a lost viking :)

challenge accepted:

Imagine walking up to your car after picking up a nice fast food meal from McDonalds. One hand with the jumbo sized soda, other hand with the bag. Door opens and you sit in. Press on brake and your door closes. You drive away.

But thats a lot of money for such a minimally useful feature. Only thing useful in that feature in my opinion is the subzero package but 6k? I don't think so

Hehe, I have a hard time imagining that, drive-thru any one;) ?

I'm thinking I could justify paying 3k for the Ultra Hi-Fi, 1k for the winter package and 1k for the Hepa thing. That leaves 1k for the self-presenting doors which I might disable anyways - and from what I understand ALL MXs have motorized front doors that can be autoclosed by the brake pedal, right?

I will donate the 1k to Tesla and hope they succeed in building a global empire of beautiful, energized and cool vehicles designed for the ages!

challenge accepted:

Imagine walking up to your car after picking up a nice fast food meal from McDonalds. One hand with the jumbo sized soda, other hand with the bag. Door opens and you sit in. Press on brake and your door closes. You drive away.

But thats a lot of money for such a minimally useful feature. Only thing useful in that feature in my opinion is the subzero package but 6k? I don't think so
I've had taken advantage of the door when I was picking up pizzas. That happened once.

I have these experiences more often:
- door opening when my kid is next to the door and hitting her
- door trying to hit the adjacent car in a slanted/angled parking lot
- door opening and closing non-stop when I am playing w/ kids on my driveway
- being scared by the door popping open when my mind was not in focus
- did I mention the door hitting my kid???

Reactions: rjcbox
I agree with above. The self presenting handles are annoying enough whenever I walk by the S, but the self presenting door seemed more annoying for the same reasons except didn’t think of it hitting my kids. I chose to avoid this package though wish they left the cold weather package separate or maybe even made it standard.

I've had my "eXtasy" P90D for 18 months - 3 days with over 20K miles on it. I love driving it.

I always have to disable my self-presenting doors before I drive into a city. Otherwise, this is what can happen:

1. X parallel parks itself. (great)
2. I look in the left side mirror to verify no bicycle is approaching or another car.
3. press driver door open button on the center screen, or (god forbid) manually pull open the door handle.
4. exit door, close door, walk around the front to feed the parking meter.
5. as I return to the vehicle to collect some items from it, the driver's side door senses my approach and pops open right in front of a bicyclist. (not good!!)

Now, I leased a very early VIN F00041X with AP 1.0, so it is "blind" on the sides of the vehicle. Perhaps with AP 2.0, they have fixed this issue? If not, they should do so.

That said, the self-presenting doors are a really cool and useful feature to use in the suburbs where I live and at home when both of my hands are full carrying items to my X.

I've had taken advantage of the door when I was picking up pizzas. That happened once.

I have these experiences more often:
- door opening when my kid is next to the door and hitting her
- door trying to hit the adjacent car in a slanted/angled parking lot
- door opening and closing non-stop when I am playing w/ kids on my driveway
- being scared by the door popping open when my mind was not in focus
- did I mention the door hitting my kid???

To the OP:

The air filtration system that comes with "bioweapons defense mode" is awesome I never smell any pollution anymore doesn't matter how bad the air may be outside. Unfortunately, you have to order PuP to get this. It should be a separate package or made standard the next time they do a pricing adjustment.

I'm hoping the Model 3 Performance will have it as standard or optional. Time will tell...

For everything in the PuP: If you never had it, you won't miss it either.

Standard audio is absolutely good enough, but Premium is better – got no better way to put it. Probably mostly worth it if you listen a lot at higher volume. I opted for upgraded sound package mostly for the subwoofer and resale value. Hepa filtration system is very nice, and I am sure they stopped retrofitting it just because it would cannibalise premium package sales.

Winter pack; We didn't have this on our Model S, and never missed it either. Always preheated the car anyway. When I ordered the X this was still a stand-alone-package and a no-brainer for me at that price. It is primarily great if you are prone to cold hands, or when you forget to preheat.

The doors; I guess I am part of a small minority that loves the self presenting doors. I drive from the country side and into the city (Oslo) for work every day, and have never considered that a reason to turn it off. To the contrary, I even use it to open the door for passengers as we walk up to the car, by double-clicking the fob a second time. It is in no way a must, but it certainly added to the already futuristic feel of the car.

Walking up with whatever you have in your hands, including fast food mentioned above, and just having the doors open is just so handy.

Whenever I am in a situation where I don't want it to open, I single-click the fob first, so it doesn't pop open when I come closer – this is however the exception. Maybe something I do at most two times a month.

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca
Thanks for all the great input!

So, I ended up going ahead with the Premium package, although the overall value is questionable. I got a chance to listen to the standard audio outfit, and it was underwhelming for my ears. I also think the HEPA-filter will be made a standard feature in due time, I'll probably disable the self presenting door in most use cases, the winter features will not be worn out...but I WILL enjoy the upgraded sound in what I hope will become the drive of my dreams.

Reactions: arcus and vandacca
I had exactly the same dilemma when ordering my car. I wanted the best audio possible without resorting to aftermarket butchering and I really wanted the HEPA and carbon filters too. The other stuff, especially self-presenting doors, I could easily get by without. The price of PUP was seriously putting me off, but in the end I just caved in and ticked the box!

I expect I'll disable the self-presenting doors before "white van man" wipes them clean off while parking on the school run. May work well at home though and other clear parking spots, especially if I'm unlucky enough to lose an arm at some point!

Does the non-pup car have heated side mirrors? I would assume no, since the wiper nozzles are not heated either? That is kind of vital around here (Finland). Seriously annoying that the winter pkg is bundled in the premium set, these things are really essentials.

Does the non-pup car have heated side mirrors? I would assume no, since the wiper nozzles are not heated either? That is kind of vital around here (Finland). Seriously annoying that the winter pkg is bundled in the premium set, these things are really essentials.

Heated side mirrors are standard. I had a Model S without the Cold Weather Package (Norway), never missed any of the features.

When we ordered our Model X we added the cold weather package because the cost was so low. But in essence, you would preheat your car anyways so I would say you don't need any of it.

Heated wipers are pretty useless IMHO, they just ice up – not warm enough to melt the snow/ice building up while driving. I actually like the heated steering wheel, but that is because I am prone to cold hands. All that is left then is the heated rear seats – again no biggie if you preheat the car anyways.

Heated side mirrors are standard. I had a Model S without the Cold Weather Package (Norway), never missed any of the features.

Awesome, thank you. So effectively PUP is entirely useless for me, air quality around here is good enough and the audio I can build myself if that turns out to be an issue (seriously doubt it). Self presenting doors I would disable anyway.

Reactions: thomasmb
A great thread full of insight. We are on our 2nd ModelS and my wife finally asked me if we could get a Model X to test drive. (Her current driver is a 2011 BMW AH7 fully loaded which she loves except for the gas part) We were given a Model X for a 3 day test drive and believe it or not the self presenting doors was the final touch for her decision to trade in both our BMW and our Navigator on a new X. She would not have made that decision if not for the self presenting doors. So interesting how some features are that "final touch" from one person to another. Looking forward to our new X in the next several months!!!!

The value of the PUP is probably mainly on heating, air and audio hardware. The hardware for self presenting door is already installed so to enable it I imagine is just a software update.. I decided to go for the PUP on my X100 but now I'm not sure the heating, air and audio are worth it, here in Switzerland it doesn't get too cold in winter.. Only a few times I had cold hands in winter driving.. (better not mention this to the missus as my order is confirmed)

Only thing in PUP I wanted was the rear heated seats and those are not worth 6k. I live in a rural elevated area so air is great and I don't blast music so standard system is more than enough. Auto presenting doors would be nice but I was concerned with them causing as many issues as conviences so I was fine passing on them. Pushing the button isn't difficult.

Wish I could have bought cold weather separately for ~1k.