Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To remove ppf or not to remove

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So wondering if I should remove and replace the ppf for Tesla to fix bumper. So as picture shows, there is paint defect on the bumper. Tesla actually tried to fix it by touching it up which left paint on the PPF. Tesla said they would repair but I am responsible for taking off the PPF and reinstalling. I got a quote of around 600 (high fives I believe) to remove and reinstall.

Problem is number 1 I'm out of work now, but I also read that you have to wait 60 days before putting the film back on so then its like remove the film, have them fix the bumper, and then wait 60 days and reapply the film after the bumper is damaged anyway. I also worry about potential issues if the bumper is sprayed, PPF is put on, then what happens when you try to take it off? Usually non factory paint is not as strong although I don't know if that applies to Tesla.

I should note the film isn't perfect having some wrinkles and a rip or two in it, but currently its actually doing its job for the time being.

Attachments

• IMG_20200224_144742.jpg
    IMG_20200224_144742.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 174
LOL..I had a chuckle with my daughter last night about something similar.

I was complaining to her that the charge port on my M3 doesn't work, and so I need to wait two weeks for Tesla mobile service to come to my house and fix it. She rolled her eyes and said, "Dad, that's such a first world problem..."

You're out of work. Save your money and live with the cosmetic defect for a few weeks/months until your disposable income situation (or lack thereof) improves.

I had a chip at that exact area, right at that corner, after mobile service replaces my headlight. Think he scratched it but since it’s contactless service, he already left when I discovered.

I took my wife’s glk white touch up paint and just dap it. Can’t even see the scratch from 4cm away.

Does it worth risking the entire bumper for that little chip?

Dude, this always happens to me with cars. I get a minor problem fix and it later becomes major problem. In the latest case (an so far only one on my Tesla), so jerk dented and scratch my car on the rear driver's wheel well. This happened in my first week before my memory cards arrived for the Sentry Mode. I paid my insurance deductible and got it fixed.

30 days later I had it parked on the street in front of my house while doing some drywall in the garage. I hear this loud crash like a UPS driver dropping read door down loudly. After getting off my ladder and going to investigate my car, sure enough some kid crashed his bike into my car in the SAME DAMN SPOT. I got all the handlebar rubber off, but there is a hairline gouge on the same panel I got fixed before, and I see it every time I plug in. UGH!

Sorry, TL;DR: Wait until something more major happens to the bumper, then get it all fixed at once.

Dude, this always happens to me with cars. I get a minor problem fix and it later becomes major problem. In the latest case (an so far only one on my Tesla), so jerk dented and scratch my car on the rear driver's wheel well. This happened in my first week before my memory cards arrived for the Sentry Mode. I paid my insurance deductible and got it fixed.

30 days later I had it parked on the street in front of my house while doing some drywall in the garage. I hear this loud crash like a UPS driver dropping read door down loudly. After getting off my ladder and going to investigate my car, sure enough some kid crashed his bike into my car in the SAME DAMN SPOT. I got all the handlebar rubber off, but there is a hairline gouge on the same panel I got fixed before, and I see it every time I plug in. UGH!

Sorry, TL;DR: Wait until something more major happens to the bumper, then get it all fixed at once.

Definitely agree with what you said, the major issue is Tesla isn't going to fix it after a certain amount of time.But I'm thinking its probably more damage waiting to happen if you can put the PPF on for 60 days after, I can see some damage under the PPF on the front bumper already so unless I can just get it done and then magically get it home without driving it and then leave it in the garage for 60 days, I'm thinking it will probably end up worse.