Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To repaint or not to repaint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s a good attitude OP. I’m a bit ocd when it comes to my cars and that rough spot would bug me, but we all have our own level of good and not good enough.

I am looking forward to being an owner soon, but I’m patiently waiting with my 100 dollars in their possession

:)

Coulda been worse, coulda had your 2500 in their possession like me since Day 1 of orders (March 15, 2019).

Peninsula CA ----PV? or NorCal?

I’m in Belmont. When I got my initial delivery notification they were going to drop it off at my house.

I ordered white/black with Induction, but seeing so many mismatched doors on white MYs has me waiting on the sidelines. That plus I thought my order would take a year to fulfill and I have no real need for a new car.

yeah that sure is an odd flaw.
Not that big of a deal...but I can sure understand that it could be the sort of thing that would be a thorn once you know it's there.
Maybe soemthing I might have rejected knowing that and IF I noticed it prior to acceptin...
but
now that it's yours
IF Tesla won't fix it......I'm no body man expert, but I'm feeling like a good body shop could sand that out and polish it without too much problem. I'd take it in for a couple independent body shop estimates if it were bugging me.

Better is often the enemy of good.

I'm going to remember that one Uncle Paul, good thing to remind ourselves from time to time.

yeah that sure is an odd flaw.
Not that big of a deal...but I can sure understand that it could be the sort of thing that would be a thorn once you know it's there.
Maybe soemthing I might have rejected knowing that and IF I noticed it prior to acceptin...
but
now that it's yours
IF Tesla won't fix it......I'm no body man expert, but I'm feeling like a good body shop could sand that out and polish it without too much problem. I'd take it in for a couple independent body shop estimates if it were bugging me.

Yeah I mean, if I was OCD I would have rejected for this. I'm not, and after having slept on it I am even more leaning toward just leaving it.

Ironically one of the things I think is a design flaw about the 3 and Y, the difficulty of closing the frunk (or the lack of automatic lift/close) means I am less likely to actually use the frunk on a regular basis.

The body shop estimate thing is an interesting idea, though.

My first and only visit was the Chico service center in CA, Im going to try the Rocklin, Sacramento service center next. Have seen people happy with door gap adjustments from this SC. I have a report from a body shop showing the doors being a different shades of white from the body.

Reactions: raggedy
My first and only visit was the Chico service center in CA, Im going to try the Rocklin, Sacramento service center next. Have seen people happy with door gap adjustments from this SC. I have a report from a body shop showing the doors being a different shades of white from the body.

Let us know how it goes especially with that report in hand. Curious if they will give an push back if you have something like that to show them.

How did it turn out? I have the same problem and service will see my car in a few weeks.

Saturday came and went they actually called on Friday said he would call me but my Y would be ready at 3pm. I called and texted late Friday and Saturday morning... only sound was crickets. They did offer me a rental from enterprise and the Windshield has to be replaced too so who knows. The problem is very little communication... when they do call they seem concerned and try to offer solutions. They did say due to COVID they are overwhelmed. The dent is in the lower corner of the door along the crease/seam I can only imagine how difficult it is to fix. It definitely was dented before it was painted. Will update when I hear more.

How did it turn out? I have the same problem and service will see my car in a few weeks.

They are closed today so I drove by and took pictures from a distance. The door dent is gone (so happy) looks like maybe the new Windshield glue is drying maybe or something. I wish they had a computerized way of keeping customers updated being they are extremely busy due to all the COVID procedures. Can't wait to get it back so I can go get my bike rack and new bikes.

Attachments

• IMG_0433.jpeg
    IMG_0433.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: ArtK
To unhijack my own thread... :D

I took the car to a detailer who referred me to the best paint guy he knows. The paint guy said he's almost certain it's clear coat buildup/dripping and he thinks 99% chance he could sand it down and it would look perfect.

Tesla won't approve him to do the work, but they said they will do it internally and repaint the hood if it isnt up to standard. I think i'll probably give it a shot. His confidence that it's extra clear coat and not paint buildup or a metal defect was 99%, so if it's just a bunch of clear I think even I could DIY that properly (I would never try).

I see they still haven't fixed the orange peel texture yet
People say this orange peel thing and I dont know what it means - I know what an orange peel is, I know that some homes have walls where the interior paint looks very m uch like an orange peel, but when I look at the hood of my car or any other Tesla Y i have seen, it just looks like smooth, glossy paint to me.

Is this just a matter of having a discerning eye? I've also never worried too much about black levels on an LED TV or the difference between 192 and 256 bitrate MP3 files.

People say this orange peel thing and I dont know what it means - I know what an orange peel is, I know that some homes have walls where the interior paint looks very m uch like an orange peel, but when I look at the hood of my car or any other Tesla Y i have seen, it just looks like smooth, glossy paint to me.

Is this just a matter of having a discerning eye? I've also never worried too much about black levels on an LED TV or the difference between 192 and 256 bitrate MP3 files.

there is a thing called search bar in your browser

LMGTFY