Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To S (or Tesla) or not to S (or Tesla)…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As some of you have seen in other threads, I ended up with a mess of an S that had such bad service experience in the last 2 years that Tesla bought it back from me.

The paperwork finally wrapped up today. I'm just waiting for the check at this point.

In the months leading up to this Tesla's price fluctuations caused me to put a down payment on a car that was basically the same as mine and it's just waiting for me in Fremont, assuming I pay for it, etc, instead of asking for the deposit back.

So here's where I'm getting nail-bitey.

I love driving the S. A lot. I also sorely miss my old BMW interiors, and test drove an M550 on a whim, but the 10MPG made that a non-starter. But boy that was a beautiful interior with no rattles.

We all also know that a refreshed S might appear in the next year, and the cost of an S vs a 3 is a little eyebrow raising given the 3 has much newer tech in it.

So I'm super torn at this point. The 3 interior is even more sparse than the S, only has tan headliners, less space, and less luxury-like appointments. But a P3 would be a blast to drive, if I truly hated the tan headliner I could get an aftermarket change-out of it. It would also save me about 18k.

The S is a 100D, still has the sunroof, was manufactured in late February so also still has HW2.5. They threw in EAP and FSD along with the 21" dark rims. We all already know that the screen will get the yellow fringe since that fix isn't out yet, and I've been warned that the speed bumps at my office will make the suspension start to rattle again until they figure that one out too.

So do I get the ordered S? Do I jump to a P3? Do I turn back to the ways of old and consume dinosaur tears since no other electric car compares to the Tesla?

I kinda wish I wasn't just knocked out of my 3 year car cycle, but I'm really grateful that Tesla stepped up and bought back my car.

I'm posting this because I'm curious to hear what other folks would do given the timing of this and that the S is not the newest kid on the block right now (and the one that's waiting for me is already out of date with the 2.5HW).

If you like the S, get the 100D. While the refresh might be awesome, it might also suck. We don't know. The rear motor should be more efficient but it also might not pack as much performance. 2170s charge faster and maintain power longer but they also don't bring the wattage (well, 3 pack is smaller, so that might be a non-issue with a bigger pack like the S/X). So the tradeoffs are unknown whereas everyone focuses on the perceived benefits (everyone says better appointed interior but they hired the Volvo interior dude like 2 years ago and nothing has really improved except finally someone managed to get lighted vanity mirrors for S/X and door pockets in the 3).

I wouldn't hold my breath and the current S is great.

Reactions: arlorose
Considered leasing? I'm glad I leased mine at the end of '15; there have been so many changes since then. Who knows what changes will come over the next 3-4 years? I know all the arguments pro/con and I understand why many don't consider it, but it leaves your options open without worrying about resale values and such.

Reactions: arlorose
I suspect the new s/x is getting announced on the 24th, I would not do anything until after the investment event this month
Yes, my advice is also not to commit at least until you see what is introduced at the analyst meeting on the 24th. There is growing evidence that at least an S with significantly greater range will be introduced this quarter, and if it's going to happen this quarter I think it's pretty likely that it will happen in association with that meeting. It's just my opinion but I would bet that Model S upgrades beyond the drivetrain will be introduced at the same time. I have to disagree with the view that they would introduce a version with lower performance than whatever it replaces: that wouldn't be consistent with the company's history. Of course getting the full benefit of whatever they introduce would come at the higher MS price points, but it may be that older cars like the one you have been considering might be priced lower after the 24th.

Yes, my advice is also not to commit at least until you see what is introduced at the analyst meeting on the 24th. There is growing evidence that at least an S with significantly greater range will be introduced this quarter, and if it's going to happen this quarter I think it's pretty likely that it will happen in association with that meeting. It's just my opinion but I would bet that Model S upgrades beyond the drivetrain will be introduced at the same time. I have to disagree with the view that they would introduce a version with lower performance than whatever it replaces: that wouldn't be consistent with the company's history. Of course getting the full benefit of whatever they introduce would come at the higher MS price points, but it may be that older cars like the one you have been considering might be priced lower after the 24th.
Well, maybe I'll be lucky and the check will take another two weeks to show up. They gave me a loaner until it does, then I need to make my decision.

If they did announce something new, I'd likely go for that. I'm not an old technology kinda person. This process has just taken so damn long that we've seen 3 price changes and computer upgrade while waiting. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯