TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

To service or not to service

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Vinc, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Vinc

Vinc Member

I am sure I am not the first one asking this, but I could not find a thread discussing the topic...

With 77K my MS 60 is about to turn 5 in a couple of months. When I was fixing the yellowing of the MCU, the SC told me that I will be due for the scheduled service then (every 2 years now). But when I asked them what they would be doing, the answer was as vague as it gets. Literally, the only specific that they mentioned was replacing the windshield wipers.

I am happy to take the car to the SC if it is truly worth the time, but knowing that the battery coolant is no longer replaced and that Tesla itself is now prioritizing actual repairs over scheduled service... I can change the wipers myself.

Final note is that the car still has a couple of years left on the CPO warranty. But I don't believe I have seen anywhere that following the service schedule is a requirement for the warranty. Or is it?

2. Simon_Emes

Simon_Emes Member

Don't go. Nothing to gain. Everything to pay.

• Funny x 2
  3. FoxSTL2HOU

FoxSTL2HOU Member

Off the top of my head, items that due up would be AC desiccant, brake line check, cabin air filter...

• Informative x 1
  4. pgkevet

pgkevet Member

My S is just over a year old. I had it in for the halfshaft issue and suggested they did a lookover while there and attended to any seals or wear parts and look at the brakes. Service told me it was unnecessary until i pointed out that their own recommendation is brakes - it's wet all year here and I didn't fancy any corrosion issues. In the end they did the brakes and also checked/adjusted alignment - not cheap at Tesla prices but re-assuring. Given a choice i'm more interested in how fast a car can stop than go.

• Informative x 1
  5. Vinc

Vinc Member

Replying to my own question for the record. I found the updated Maintenance Document at the support page and no, skipping the suggested service schedule does not seem to affect the CPO warranty.

As somebody mentioned, what is due for a Model S should be...

-Tire rotation/Balance/Alignment
    -Cabin air filter replacement
    -Brake fluid test (for contamination)
    -AC desiccant replacement

Not listed though: replacing the windshield wipers. Oh Tesla, you are so you :D

6. geoffmanley

geoffmanley Member

I'm not a fan of how Tesla aligns the wheels. They put way too much camber(?) or whatever it's called so the insides of the tires wear way faster than the outsides. Do they change brake pads for a regular service? I've never done anything to the brakes that I've paid for, could it be that I'm still on the original brake pads at a hair over 60k miles?

7. Vinc

Vinc Member

Interesting about the alignment. I wonder if it is the same for all SCs...

Regarding brakes, they do specifically say the following:

"As electric cars, even brake pad replacements are rare because regenerative braking returns energy to the battery, significantly reducing wear on brakes".

8. aerodyne

aerodyne Active Member

Some of the older MS do suggest battery coolant replacement. Brake fluid can be tested in lieu of replacement. Tire rotation only if needed. Buy a tire depth gauge, a good one is less than ten bucks on Amazon. You can do most everything yourself except dessicant bag replacement. Not sure if that is even needed in a dry climate like SoCal. Save your money for when the big things go out after warranty....