Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To spoiler or not spoiler?

Spoiler or no spoiler

• Spoiler

Votes: 21 67.7%
  • No Spoiler

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I purchased the inventory car it didn't come with a spoiler. I had Tesla throw one in because it was a free option at that time.

It has been 6 months and finally the spoiler is ready to be installed. I am conflicted between the two. Sometimes I think the spoiler ruins the look of the car, but sometimes I think it compliments well since I have white car with black wheels and pano roof.

What are your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_3396.jpg
    IMG_3396.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,327
For me it depends upon the color of the car. With the white and pearl I think it looks great. I had the same dilema with my black Model S and I elected not to install it. I think it would look good on your car. If you don't like it, I think you will only need dental floss to remove it.

My P85 didn't have the spoiler when it was delivered a year ago because they were out-of-stock. My spoiler was added several months later.

While I can't tell if the spoiler has any impact on performance - I definitely like the look of the spoiler on the back of the car.

It's personal preference...

Plus, if you install it and change your mind, it can be removed.

I like the looks of em too.

But, they increase drag in order to improve downforce (at least real ones do anyway). For most people's driving, not having sufficient downforce on the back wheels of a 4700 lb. sedan is not a huge problem. :)

I've heard something like a 3% reduction in mileage with the spoiler. So... factor in if losing ~8 miles of range on a full charge matters to you.

I have to laugh over the whole spoiler issue. Lets face it, they are purely cosmetic for the kind of driving 99.9% of drivers do. And, the Tesla spoiler is even less likely to have any effect - it's just a plastic accent piece, not much of an aerodynamic device. The ones they put on rice-rockets have more effect than the Tesla one and those are completely cosmetic, too. I elected to not have one on my MCRed MS.

In 2009 I was drawn to the clean uninterrupted lines of the Model S prototype and minor refinements have only improved its sense of flow. For me, the spoiler is seen as an interruption to the design aesthetic.

To lose 3% of mileage due to the turbulence crested by a spoiler isn't a huge big deal, but I don't like losing at all. To each their own.

Honestly, in my opinion, it depends on your wheels. If you have dark wheels (like you do) I would definitely install the spoiler. It pulls it all together and makes it look sportier. On a white car the contrast of the black spoiler looks absolutely amazing! If you have silver wheels though, it looks out of place.

When I bought my Blue P85 with silver 21's the spoiler was included but I opted not to have it installed as I felt with that combination the car was nicer without it. White with black rims is a different story. Of course this is a matter of personal taste, but for me I think the carbon fiber spoiler adds something very positive to a white model S especially with black rims.

I have to laugh over the whole spoiler issue. Lets face it, they are purely cosmetic for the kind of driving 99.9% of drivers do. And, the Tesla spoiler is even less likely to have any effect - it's just a plastic accent piece, not much of an aerodynamic device. The ones they put on rice-rockets have more effect than the Tesla one and those are completely cosmetic, too. I elected to not have one on my MCRed MS.
More or less my attitude with the spoiler.
Although I must admit the spoiler I saw on one of Al & Ed's customizations (the bespoke one) looked very nice. If it was stock spoiler, the other customizations made me change my mind about the spoiler for that car. However, I think it too was custom.
It also could be, as others have noted, that it goes with the black rims but not the silver.