TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

To Spoiler, or not to Spoiler...Photos

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by TheAustin, Sep 10, 2012.

1. TheAustin

TheAustin Model S: P2009 P85

Several people, especially those who are in the process of finalizing there configuration choices, have been debating whether or not to opt for the carbon fiber spoiler (Myself included)...The image on the Tesla configuration page is not very clear, and shows practically no detail. So, I called my local Tesla dealer and asked if they could send me some detailed photos...They didn't have a car with a spoiler, but they had someone in Westchester take and send me photos, which I've attached.

As for me, I was leaning towards getting the spoiler, but after seeing the photos, I've actually decided not to get it. I do think it looks pretty cool, but in my opinion a bit out of place on 4-door sedan. I love the carbon fiber accents on the Roadster, but on the Model S, I just think that it's just trying to hard. At any rate, see photos below, form your own opinion:

TeslaModelSWithSpoiler1.jpg TeslaModelSWithSpoiler2.jpg TeslaModelSWithSpoiler3.jpg TeslaModelSWithSpoiler4.jpg

2. Princeton96

Princeton96 Member

I've been struggling with the same question myself. I've seen the spoiler in person on a number of different color cars. I think the color does really impact the decision. On the white car above, I'm not wild about the spoiler at all. On a darker color (blue, gray) I think it works.

I've also been told it can be removed at a later date without impacting the paint or finish. I'm going with it and if I get sick of it I'll have it removed.

3. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

Thats funny, I LOVE it on the white and feel as though it gets lost on a darker car.

To Each Their Own I Guess...:biggrin:

Just to be clear...I would go for it every time no matter what the color.

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Repeating what's been said elsewhere: I've also been told that the spoiler can be removed in minutes with no damage or marks on the car and no visible sign it was there.

The spoiler is a no cost option on the performance model so why not just get it anyway and if you don't like it take it off. If you don't get the spoiler but decide later you want it then you risk there will likely be a charge for it.

5. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I think it is SEXY! Get it. If you don't like it take it off in a month.

6. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

There is no question that you will be charged for it.

7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

This. Extremely logical solution.

8. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Mercedes AMG has the same style spoiler and it looks as amazing with white as the Model S. Even on a dark car, I'd still get it.

9. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Those pics look great! That's my combo. Contrast all the way. I think the panamera looks better with spoiler too,

10. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

And, as I've posted before, (*nudge*, NigelM!), if any of you getting the perf tire of the spoiler, I'll gladly pay for you to ship it to me :)

11. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

I don't like the spoiler at all. I think it spoils (pun intended...) the lines of the car. I'm getting a blue perf but definately no spoiler. Even if it is easy to remove, I don't want the work nor having to store it somewhere.

I'm also happy that they got rid of the external CF accents. I'm getting the CF interior though ;)

12. strider

strider Active Member

We were debating white or grey for car color. For white we would have gone w/ the spoiler but since the wife chose grey we are not going to get the spoiler. We feel it clashes on the darker colors but love it on the white.

13. onlinespending

great pics of the spoiler, but you say "to spoiler, or not to spoiler" and show no pictures of it without it for a try side-by-side comparison! Personally I like the look.

14. Duckjybe

Duckjybe S P232

I saw a silver Maserati last night with the exact same style of carbon fibre spoiler and thought it looked great. You will be in good company if you get it!

15. epley

epley P85 VIN 693

These are the best pictures I've seen of the spoiler--thanks! Glad I'm getting it, even though my car will be black and it may be hard to see...

16. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

If I were getting a perf I'd be all over that spoiler. Especially on the white.

17. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I thought this thread would be pictures of something that was still an unknown plot point.

18. Zextraterrestrial

do you want perf wheels with that too?

19. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

This is what I originally thought (and ordered; well, not CF interior tho) but now I'm thinking it would be really cool just to have that spoiler hanging around my desk. (It would get old within a week or two tho)

It would prolly collect dust, so I'll stick with letting the factory keep it.

The Sig red car without any exterior indications it is a perf. I'm fine with that. :smile:

20. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Spoiler all the way!! Black with CF, so it's there when you want to see it, blends in when you don't.