Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Spoiler or Not To Spoiler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The performance plus is molded on the ends to hug the rear hatch area better. I think it is going to stick a lot better. I’ve tried some knock offs and I can’t get them to stay down. I switched from the Razzo to this one, and used the savings to buy the matte carbon mirror caps. I think it will be a nice touch. Just have to have my PPF guy wrap the matte mirror caps in XPEL Stealth to protect them.
We’re the knockoffs using 3M adhesive though?

We’re the knockoffs using 3M adhesive though?
I’m not sure. It wouldn’t stick so I went and bought 3m adhesive. Spent an hour laying it all back on the spoiler again. Taped it down for 3 days per the instructions and the right side started to lift again. They just don’t conform to the hatch well enough. It was even a Basenor. I think rpm Tesla is the way to go. Theirs look like they fit like a glove. If you have to force them down to stick they will eventually lift.

I’m not sure. It wouldn’t stick so I went and bought 3m adhesive. Spent an hour laying it all back on the spoiler again. Taped it down for 3 days per the instructions and the right side started to lift again. They just don’t conform to the hatch well enough. It was even a Basenor. I think rpm Tesla is the way to go. Theirs look like they fit like a glove. If you have to force them down to stick they will eventually lift.
Carwiner seems pretty solid so I may try them and if that doesn’t work I’ll try RPM. I’m just not sure if I should get matte black to match my Inductions or matte carbon fiber as the exterior doesn’t have any carbon fiber anywhere.

I wonder why people don’t add a thin layer of vinyl wrap around the spoiler area in matte black vs adding a spoiler that will have potential issues.

I wonder why people don’t add a thin layer of vinyl wrap around the spoiler area in matte black vs adding a spoiler that will have potential issues.
That's a great idea. I personally wanted something a little more aggressive. I'm also not sure why the even put one on the black Teslas. It's hard to see anyway.
messages_0 (23).jpeg

Carwiner seems pretty solid so I may try them and if that doesn’t work I’ll try RPM. I’m just not sure if I should get matte black to match my Inductions or matte carbon fiber as the exterior doesn’t have any carbon fiber anywhere.
I’m doing matte carbon as I bought the matte carbon license plate frame & matte carbon mirror caps. Mine is already matte White as I had XPEL Stealth done. If you plan to do more carbon I would go with the carbon spoiler. If not I would probably go with matte black.

I’m doing matte carbon as I bought the matte carbon license plate frame & matte carbon mirror caps. Mine is already matte White as I had XPEL Stealth done. If you plan to do more carbon I would go with the carbon spoiler. If not I would probably go with matte black.
To avoid unsticking issues I’m contemplating not installing a spoiler and having someone vinyl wrap spoiler delete.

I am with you. I went 100% matte inside and out. Everyone has their own style/taste. No right or wrong, just preference.

Reactions: Schulz1983
I had been debating putting on a spoiler for the longest time. Even had a matte black tesmanian spoiler since Janurary but ended up not putting it on and selling it. Main reason i never put it on is cause i already have my car ceramic coated and dont want to take off the coating on the hatch just to stick it on.

IMO, its when you look at the Y straight from the rear when the rear looks gawdy without a spoiler. From a side or diagonal view, the Y without a spoiler still loooks nice.

Reactions: AlexHung and 1plavs
I bit the bullet and went with this one. I don’t plan on having anything else carbon fiber based on the outside so the matte black was perfect. They also use 3M adhesive as RPM does so that made me feel better. Carwiner Tesla Model Y Trunk Spoiler Wing ABS Rear Trunk Spoiler Wing Performance Carbon fiber Sport Accessories 2020 2021 (Matte Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097C8HW6...abc_Z9VS22ZN7N2ND74HAJGS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You see how when they pull the tape liner and put it on the trunk, it sticks right away. You don't want to pull it off to make adjustments after that initial tack. With a spray of alcohol you will have a small window to made adjustments before it tacks. But if you're certain you'll get it right on the first try then install it as shown.

Reactions: 1plavs
You see how when they pull the tape liner and put it on the trunk, it sticks right away. You don't want to pull it off to make adjustments after that initial tack. With a spray of alcohol you will have a small window to made adjustments before it tacks. But if you're certain you'll get it right on the first try then install it as shown.
Got it! Is rubbing alcohol cool?

The performance plus is molded on the ends to hug the rear hatch area better. I think it is going to stick a lot better. I’ve tried some knock offs and I can’t get them to stay down. I switched from the Razzo to this one, and used the savings to buy the matte carbon mirror caps. I think it will be a nice touch. Just have to have my PPF guy wrap the matte mirror caps in XPEL Stealth to protect them.
I have ordered the Performance Plus with center cut in gloss from RPM. I was strongly considering the Razzo style because of the edge-to-edge coverage, but I think it would be too heavy for the back of the car the more I looked at pictures and video. RPM seems to sell the fact these performance versions fit better so I waited until they became available with the cutout center, I like that look.

I also think prep is a huge part of the stick down. I have a similar spoiler on my S2000 and I have had zero issues with it detaching. A friend who has the same lost it on a drive. The difference? I prepped the area really well. The attachment area needs to be free of oils. So multiple IPA wipe downs then buffing with a MF towel to remove residuals. Repeat a few times. Dry fit the spoiler and tape/mark where it sits the best. Then warming the area and the spoiler itself to at least 80deg F. Apply an adhesion promoter to JUST area the spoiler will cover. Let that set-up then rewarm the trunk and apply the spoiler using your marks. Keep pressure on it into the trunk for several minutes. If you have someone else to help, have them tape it down to help pull it into the trunk. Then LEAVE IT ALONE for the night.

All that said, I'll likely get the spoiler before I get the car at this point.. EDD is Sept right now...

The hell, i don't ever remember seeing "massaging" as a use for rubbing alcohol...imagine that happy ending
Here’s what they told me. “
Applying adhesive aid will increase the viscosity of 3M glue. Once the spoiler is pasted, it will be difficult to move and remove. Therefore, during installation, the 3M adhesive protective layer must be torn off little by little according to our installation method, not all at once, so as to avoid mistake and difficult adjustment.
Our package is equipped with additional 3M glue and adhesive aid. If the installation fails, it can be installed again. “