Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To take or not to take delivery...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put in my MY order for $6k below it's current selling price. I've been assigned a VIN (for a 2nd time) and Tesla wants me to take delivery. Like everyone else, I'm strongly debating what to do. I don't need the car right now, so I can definitely afford to wait. If anything, the upcoming hardware changes alone might make it worthwhile. And of course if the BBB gets passed, the extra $7.5k is a nice bonus...
While I'm not looking for any fortune tellers, I am trying to understand if someone sufficiently understands the Tesla delivery system to tell me whether I'm risking my order getting cancelled. Going on the order agreement alone, I have 90 days from first attempt, which puts me at end of Jan. 2022, with no restriction on the number of attempts. So in theory, Tesla can't cancel my order if I reject this vehicle, or can they?

The other caveat here is the BBB bill says after 12/31/21 or when the bill is passed, the later of the two. If it doesn't get passed this month this waiting game becomes too unpredictable. I think I'm just going to take the next one they assign. I'm just never lucky enough to win when I gamble.
I don't think this is true. I do know Beard Tesla Guy will issue a retraction on his statements in his last video. He mentioned this in the comments. I've read parts of the House bill and don't recall anything related to signing date in the EV section.

Upvote 0
I don't think this is true. I do know Beard Tesla Guy will issue a retraction on his statements in his last video. He mentioned this in the comments. I've read parts of the House bill and don't recall anything related to signing date in the EV section.

Ah, that may be true. I haven't actually read the bill, I'm too lazy for that. Just going based off news / social media sources.

Upvote 0
Ah, that may be true. I haven't actually read the bill, I'm too lazy for that. Just going based off news / social media sources.

The language can still be changed by the Senate/House, so nothing's final till both Houses pass something for Biden to sign.

I placed an order for a LRM3 on 29 October, then placed it on hold till 2 Jan a few days later without receiving a VIN. Been on hold ever since with no contact from Tesla since then.

Upvote 0
The other caveat here is the BBB bill says after 12/31/21 or when the bill is passed, the later of the two. If it doesn't get passed this month this waiting game becomes too unpredictable. I think I'm just going to take the next one they assign. I'm just never lucky enough to win when I gamble.
The bill is confusing but this was debated and settled in another thread Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back? (pages 108 and 109)
``Sec. 36C. New qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicles.''.
(e) Effective Dates.--
(1) The amendments made by subsections (a), (c), and (d) of
this section shall apply to vehicles acquired after December
31, 2021.
(2) The amendments made by subsection (b) shall apply to
vehicles purchased or leased after December 31, 2022.

• Love
Reactions: voxel
Upvote 0
The bill is confusing but this was debated and settled in another thread Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back? (pages 108 and 109)
``Sec. 36C. New qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicles.''.
(e) Effective Dates.--
(1) The amendments made by subsections (a), (c), and (d) of
this section shall apply to vehicles acquired after December
31, 2021.
(2) The amendments made by subsection (b) shall apply to
vehicles purchased or leased after December 31, 2022.
The differentiation between the 31 Dec 2021 and 31 Dec 2021 dates is for merely determining how the tax credit would be applied. For 2022 purchases, the credit would be received when people filed their 2022 taxes in 2023. For 2022+ purchases, the credit would be dished out in the form of a POS rebate.

Upvote 0