Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"To the best of our knowledge, there have been no injuries," Elon Musk.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last Thursday, September 22nd a major recall was announced by The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Tesla Affecting nearly 1.1 million vehicles in the US because the windows might close too fast and pinch people's fingers. Documents produced by American regulators show the windows may not react correctly after detecting an obstruction.
Rear-view cameras, bonnet latches, seat-belt reminders, and sound-system software are among the other four major problems identified in the recalls. The affected Tesla vehicles are 2017-22 Model 3 sedans and some 2020-21 Model Y SUVs , Model S sedans and Model X SUVs.

Owners of existing vehicles will not need to bring them in for service as Tesla will issue a free over-the-air update that will address the problem, however exact timing for the update’s release has not been announced. Tesla’s stores have already been notified and letters will be sent to owners in November as required by law.

Full Article in BBC News write up - Tesla ordered to recall more than a million US cars

Another TMC thread about this: BBC Fake News - Tesla ordered to recall more than a million US cars

tesla-recalling-1-1-million-vehicles-to-fix-faulty-window-reversing-system-fox-business.jpg

The only thought running through my mind is who in the heck would put their fingers between the window and the frame? Yes kids will, but then it's up to the parrents to teach them that it's dangerous, among various other thing in this world. Yet another thing just to try and bring Tesla to it's knees xD

Reactions: TryingHard32
The only thought running through my mind is who in the heck would put their fingers between the window and the frame? Yes kids will, but then it's up to the parrents to teach them that it's dangerous, among various other thing in this world. Yet another thing just to try and bring Tesla to it's knees xD
I also find the windows in my MYP to be EXTRA sensitive to obstruction to the windows path up, and I have had the car need recalibration. It was registering false positives by returning back down when summoned in the AUTO up window call. Very sensitive and def not clipping any fingertips over here haha

My 2021 pinched my finger - rear door. I should not have used my hand in the partial open window to attempt to pull the passenger door (that didn’t open well) - BUT it grabbed my finger and repeatedly used full force to crush it. Black and blue with a fingernail loss. Im durable, my wife would have lost layers of skin. The car literally would not give me my finger back, with repeated attempts to close. Think of your finger in a door jam, someone keeps pushing- never letting up.

In an ideal world- I would not have done this, but the very strange door handles made grabbing the window easier. I only have one arm.

• Informative
Reactions: ShareLofty
I have had trouble with the window auto reversal in the MY since picking it up in March. However, I was surprised to see this “recall” because the problem I have had is it operates for no apparent reason, the window fails to close, and returns to two thirds open position, sometimes a number of times in a row.

I recalibrated and supposedly, later, Tesla Service did a more extensive recalibration, however, it still does not operate correctly. I have read in other threads that others regularly lubricate the window rubbers but I haven't mustered the enthusiasm to try this. I have never had this problem with other cars, including previous M3, but I have read that Tesla is not the only one with this issue.

Generally, I think that the problem is more frequent on the first use of the day. I suspect that the issue is related to the extra layer of glazing and/or attempts to improve the wind proofing, certainly there was always some wind noise with the M3 and much less with the MY.

I have had trouble with the window auto reversal in the MY since picking it up in March. However, I was surprised to see this “recall” because the problem I have had is it operates for no apparent reason, the window fails to close, and returns to two thirds open position, sometimes a number of times in a row.

I recalibrated and supposedly, later, Tesla Service did a more extensive recalibration, however, it still does not operate correctly. I have read in other threads that others regularly lubricate the window rubbers but I haven't mustered the enthusiasm to try this. I have never had this problem with other cars, including previous M3, but I have read that Tesla is not the only one with this issue.

Generally, I think that the problem is more frequent on the first use of the day. I suspect that the issue is related to the extra layer of glazing and/or attempts to improve the wind proofing, certainly there was always some wind noise with the M3 and much less with the MY.
Same with my MYP. Exact issue and I couldn't have expressed it better.

My 2021 pinched my finger - rear door. I should not have used my hand in the partial open window to attempt to pull the passenger door (that didn’t open well) - BUT it grabbed my finger and repeatedly used full force to crush it. Black and blue with a fingernail loss. Im durable, my wife would have lost layers of skin. The car literally would not give me my finger back, with repeated attempts to close. Think of your finger in a door jam, someone keeps pushing- never letting up.

In an ideal world- I would not have done this, but the very strange door handles made grabbing the window easier. I only have one arm.
So a true instance of this recall illustrated in REAL LIFE. So definitely an issue on your end. Which model do you have?

I got these about a year ago and really like them. They make it much easier to open the doors.