TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

To Those That Have Seen Model 3 in Person - Better Looking than the S?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by TheSuit, Aug 24, 2017.

?

Model 3 Better Looking Than the S?

1. Yes

21.2%
  2. No

78.8%
  1. TheSuit

TheSuit Member

Please only vote if you've seen the 3 in person, and feel free to post the details for why below.

2. kev1n

kev1n Member

car looks too tall, like a mini model x. also the rear glass to trunk transition is so awkward. especially if you see the car from quarter rear view.

i like the front of the car. the rear, not so much

3. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

No. I had an S for many years and spotted a 3 at OAK Long Term parking. Had a pretty decent look at it. It's a nice looking car but it doesn't have the grace or presence of the S. Much of that might just be due to its smaller size. It looks like a nicely designed compact sedan to me. It's certainly attractive but it's not special.

4. 355rockit

355rockit Member

Maybe should have a 3rd selection of 'both are amazing'. The S is a very good looking car. The 3 is also a very good looking car in person as well. If I had a choice, I would choose the 3 given it is a perfect size for my needs.

• Helpful x 1
  5. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

In person, the 3 looks really good to me. Wide, low and sleek, but not as long as the Model S. Nothing like a "mini Model X" at all -- totally different proportions than the X. The length of the Model S makes it looks a bit sleeker compared to the 3. I think the 3 is one of the more attractive cars out there, and has a similar "almost concept car" look that the S has. The S is just so drop-dead gorgeous it is hard to beat.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  6. EXOTIC1

EXOTIC1 Member

The 3 is a nice looking car but looking at it from the rear it's not the best. It's kind of a lovechild of the S & X

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. oktane

oktane Active Member

To me, it's at least $120,000 better looking. Essentially the same car as mine, with an updated interior, and a bit slower.

• Funny x 1
  8. marty2112

marty2112 Member

I like the exterior of the S better. Really want to sit and drive the 3. I'm thinking the interior will be better.

Hence the upcoming S interior refresh.... :)

• Funny x 1
  9. BOOMER7

BOOMER7 Member

I would agree with what others have said about the back end of the model 3. The S has a much better overall exterior look about it.

10. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Member

The model S is a cool car, the 3 looks weird like a domey little model X.

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Agreed. I have seen a Model 3 up close three times now (really!) and they are both beautiful cars. I did not vote in the poll because the two choices are both wrong, in my opinion.

• Like x 1
  12. JSkrehot

JSkrehot Member

I drove over to the Tesla factory today just to get a look at one in person. I have been wanting pearl white but wanted to see silver and blue in person. I was not able to find a blue one but the pearl looked amazing. As far as looks compared to S, from the front, and side views, I prefer it, however, while I don't dislike the back of the 3, I like the rear of the S better. I like the front look of the 3 without the "mustache" much more.

• Like x 2
  13. chronopc

chronopc Member

#13 chronopc, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    I like the front and side view of the Model 3 better. I like the rear view and lights on the Model S better. They both look great. I give a slight edge to the Model 3 since I personally like smaller sized sedans.

2017-08-24.png

14. OutofPocket

OutofPocket Member

No doubt the S is a gorgeous car, but...

Saw another Model 3 today on 92 going towards Half Moon Bay, CA. Silver this time (seems to be the same silver as on the S) with 19” wheels and no front plate. Really a great color for the Model 3.

Especially love the Model 3 front end. It looks like a nexgen Porsche. From the rear, more like an S without the haunches. Overall I think the Model 3 looks spectacular.

• Like x 1
  15. chronopc

chronopc Member

I'm having a hard time decided between silver and midnight silver. Saw midnight silver in real life and it's damn good looking.

• Like x 2
  16. dragonxt

dragonxt Active Member

Where exactly do they have one out at the Fremont Factory?

17. chronopc

chronopc Member

There's usually one in the parking lot where the charging stations are.

18. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

#18 FlatSix911, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Agreed.
    The front of the Model 3 glass greenhouse is too high and the front duck bill too pronounced compared to the Model S/X.
    This photo is really not shot at a flattering angle for the Model 3 ... it looks like a cartoon car compared to the Model S/X :cool:

[​IMG]

• Disagree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  19. chronopc

chronopc Member

Looks great in this angle
    [​IMG]

• Like x 10
  20. chronopc

chronopc Member

While the back of the Model S is better looking, the Model 3 looks good from the back too.
    [​IMG]

• Like x 7