Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Those That Have Seen Model 3 in Person - Better Looking than the S?

Model 3 Better Looking Than the S?

• Total voters

kev1n

Nov 17, 2016
SF Bay Area
car looks too tall, like a mini model x. also the rear glass to trunk transition is so awkward. especially if you see the car from quarter rear view.

i like the front of the car. the rear, not so much

Xminus6

Sep 3, 2015
Bay Area, CA
No. I had an S for many years and spotted a 3 at OAK Long Term parking. Had a pretty decent look at it. It's a nice looking car but it doesn't have the grace or presence of the S. Much of that might just be due to its smaller size. It looks like a nicely designed compact sedan to me. It's certainly attractive but it's not special.

355rockit

Apr 9, 2016
San Marcos, CA
Maybe should have a 3rd selection of 'both are amazing'. The S is a very good looking car. The 3 is also a very good looking car in person as well. If I had a choice, I would choose the 3 given it is a perfect size for my needs.

• Helpful
Reactions: njxman

trils0n

2013 P85
Feb 12, 2013
SF Bay Area
In person, the 3 looks really good to me. Wide, low and sleek, but not as long as the Model S. Nothing like a "mini Model X" at all -- totally different proportions than the X. The length of the Model S makes it looks a bit sleeker compared to the 3. I think the 3 is one of the more attractive cars out there, and has a similar "almost concept car" look that the S has. The S is just so drop-dead gorgeous it is hard to beat.

BOOMER7

Mar 31, 2013
West
I would agree with what others have said about the back end of the model 3. The S has a much better overall exterior look about it.

JSkrehot

May 15, 2016
Martinez, Ca
I drove over to the Tesla factory today just to get a look at one in person. I have been wanting pearl white but wanted to see silver and blue in person. I was not able to find a blue one but the pearl looked amazing. As far as looks compared to S, from the front, and side views, I prefer it, however, while I don't dislike the back of the 3, I like the rear of the S better. I like the front look of the 3 without the "mustache" much more.

chronopc

Jul 8, 2017
California
I like the front and side view of the Model 3 better. I like the rear view and lights on the Model S better. They both look great. I give a slight edge to the Model 3 since I personally like smaller sized sedans.

2017-08-24.png

Last edited:

OutofPocket

Apr 1, 2016
Grabtown, CA
No doubt the S is a gorgeous car, but...

Saw another Model 3 today on 92 going towards Half Moon Bay, CA. Silver this time (seems to be the same silver as on the S) with 19” wheels and no front plate. Really a great color for the Model 3.

Especially love the Model 3 front end. It looks like a nexgen Porsche. From the rear, more like an S without the haunches. Overall I think the Model 3 looks spectacular.

Reactions: gavine

chronopc

Jul 8, 2017
California
No doubt the S is a gorgeous car, but...

Saw another Model 3 today on 92 going towards Half Moon Bay, CA. Silver this time (seems to be the same silver as on the S) with 19” wheels and no front plate. Really a great color for the Model 3.

Especially love the Model 3 front end. It looks like a nexgen Porsche. From the rear, more like an S without the haunches. Overall I think the Model 3 looks spectacular.
I'm having a hard time decided between silver and midnight silver. Saw midnight silver in real life and it's damn good looking.

dragonxt

Oct 26, 2016
Bay Area
I drove over to the Tesla factory today just to get a look at one in person. I have been wanting pearl white but wanted to see silver and blue in person. I was not able to find a blue one but the pearl looked amazing. As far as looks compared to S, from the front, and side views, I prefer it, however, while I don't dislike the back of the 3, I like the rear of the S better. I like the front look of the 3 without the "mustache" much more.
Where exactly do they have one out at the Fremont Factory?

FlatSix911

Porsche 918 Hybrid
Jun 15, 2015
Silicon Valley
car looks too tall, like a mini model x. also the rear glass to trunk transition is so awkward. especially if you see the car from quarter rear view. i like the front of the car. the rear, not so much

Agreed.
The front of the Model 3 glass greenhouse is too high and the front duck bill too pronounced compared to the Model S/X.
This photo is really not shot at a flattering angle for the Model 3 ... it looks like a cartoon car compared to the Model S/X :cool:

upload_2017-8-24_18-41-10-png.243562

Last edited:

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC