Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To tint or not to tint the windshield of M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just did mine. Love it
B4B61C05-24DB-4B4F-B327-5EC672910391.jpeg
B93DED8C-A072-4AA3-A93B-8705C8D43252.jpeg

Upvote 0
@Maaz Looks Great!! What did you go with ? Brand and percentage?

I just did Llumar IRX ceramic 15 all around today. Was unsure on windshield today so left it to think over.

I had choice of Air 80 blue or Irx 50.

Think I may go 50 percent after seeing yours..

I have a 21' Red LR
Thank you! I did 3M crystalline 40%. Other option was 70% which was a bit too light for my taste.
You surely are a fan of Tesla considering the two EVs that you have in your front yard.
Haha yes. I’ve had so far 2 Model S’s, 2 Model Xs, 3 Model 3s and 2 Model Ys in total.
Currently 2 Ys and the one 3. Waiting on 2 cybertrucks.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Upvote 0
Thank you! I did 3M crystalline 40%. Other option was 70% which was a bit too light for my taste.

Haha yes. I’ve had so far 2 Model S’s, 2 Model Xs, 3 Model 3s and 2 Model Ys in total.
Currently 2 Ys and the one 3. Waiting on 2 cybertrucks.
That’s alot of Teslas. I’m waiting for my 3rd model 3 as we speak.

Reactions: Maaz
Upvote 0
And what happens when CHP cites you? IIRC windshield tint of any amount is a big no-no except in the top 4” (think back to the 1990s when everyone had tacky script tint thingys in a band at the top of their windshields). Anyway, I’ve been considering a tint job and am nervous to even get the front sides done out of fear that some day, months or years from now some random cop will see it and make a gigantic issue out of it, unexpected, out of the blue. This would entail (1) paying a fine, (2) being ordered to remove the tint (losing hundreds of dollars in cost to have it done in the first place in the process), (3) taking it to a peace officer to verify (giant waste of my time), etc. I know lots of people drive around with tint that’s technically illegal but I really just don’t want the headaches down the road and think tinted rear sides / untinted side fronts looks absolutely stupid, so it’s better to go without.

This stuff has gotten so ridiculously expensive (upwards of $1,000) now it’s hard to not consider the risks of having to lose it “just because”. It’s rolling the dice it seems. If I want to throw $1,000 away I can think of more fun ways to do it than getting harassed by LE for my car’s appearance.

Thoughts? Counterpoints?

Upvote 0
My girl was debating on getting the front strip tinted. Has anyone seen any pics of this? It looks great on my car but the Tesla windshield is huge compared to mine so I’m not sure it’ll look that great.
I would recommend getting the whole front windshield in 50%. Have both of my Tesla's done that way and you would never know it if I didn't mention it. It reduces glare and provides great heat rejection.

Reactions: CRUZifer
Upvote 1
The big takeaway from tint is the heat and IR rejection.

You can have a completely clear tint that blocks 90%+ heat and IR.

It's even more important considering we have cabin overheat protection, you can potentially save a lot of range and not worry about your tint being too dark.

Upvote 0