Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To TPMS or to not TPMS, is the question I ask.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought a used 2013 tesla S, I have a 2012 and two 2013's now. Love these cars.

The last one I bought, the owner got me every invoice on every repair that was done on his car at Tesla.
Amazing info to have on a used tesla, only the previous owner can get this from his tesla service center.

In my research of these invoices. There was a repair done on a faulty TPMS.
One of the TPMS, faulted out and completely shut down his car, as in in faulted over 8 more codes on the car, the car would not shut off, would not reboot, would not start, nothing. He had to have it towed.
All from a faulty TPMS.. WTF..
Sure enough, same thing happened to me., arghhhh.
Had to let the car sit plugged in for 2 days, then it finally shut down and reset itself.

Yeo, took off those dang sensors and never again had it happened. Actually had a custom sticker that says tesla on it to cover up the annoy warning sign below my miles.

??? TPMS sensors on your car for reading the psi in your tires that you can't actually read on your dash???? Uhhh, I'm good, I bought a tire gauge, I don't mind getting dirty .. haha

Due to all the problems you had, I'm surprised they didn't upgrade you to the newer TPMS sensors and controller. With both those installed, they can then enable the TPMS readout on your instrument cluster. A friend had a similar issue and they finally upgraded him. He had to beg to get the software TPMS display enabled, but they did it in the end.

I paid for my upgrade recently. Seems like a no brainer really since acuurate and more reliable tpms sensors could one day save my life.
The upgrade to the new sensors might be worth it.. I don't know about saving your life though.. you Would have to be pretty lazy to not visual check your tire pressure on car you walk up to everyday.
Now on my tour bus, yeah. A low tire pressure in your front steer tires could mean life or death. A blowout there would be bad... a blowout on your car? Not so much.

Due to all the problems you had, I'm surprised they didn't upgrade you to the newer TPMS sensors and controller. With both those installed, they can then enable the TPMS readout on your instrument cluster. A friend had a similar issue and they finally upgraded him. He had to beg to get the software TPMS display enabled, but they did it in the end.
I'm gonna have my service guy help me out on that. Good call, thanks

The TPMS sensors have more to do with federal safety requirements and air quality. Under inflated tires not only pose a safety hazard they cause an increase in gasoline consumption (or electricity consumption) and therefore (with gas vehicles) cause more air pollution. The TPMS sensors are now required for new vehicles to warn drivers when tires are low so they can air them up (most drivers are not diligent enough to check their pressure monthly or more). Additionally when a TPMS sensor goes bad/out, because it is related to air quality issues, the car treats it as if the catalytic converter goes out, i.e. its a violation of air quality standards which disables the car.

TL;DR - TPMS are mandated federal standards for cars for air quality reasons (and some safety)

I have 56 tires to manage currently. Having a low one tell me it's near flat is actually quite helpful.

The upgrade to the new sensors might be worth it.. I don't know about saving your life though.. you Would have to be pretty lazy to not visual check your tire pressure on car you walk up to everyday.
Now on my tour bus, yeah. A low tire pressure in your front steer tires could mean life or death. A blowout there would be bad... a blowout on your car? Not so much.

I have 56 tires to manage currently. Having a low one tell me it's near flat is actually quite helpful.
56 tires!!..holy cow..i have 32 tires, and that's because ive finally dumped some auto paper weights..the only ones that really matter to me are the ones on my bus, that blowout is a bad one, specially if its the steer tires.

I maintain all my autos regularly, all 3 of my Tesla's have the TPMS warning lights on due to me powder coating my rims.
Yet today i just found out most tire shops have the sensor to reset the TPMS on a tesla. It is a $1500 unit.
Ill be buying one as it is such a pain for me to take my tesla 3.5 hours to Indiana to get serviced for sensors. As i live in Michigan and i have winter tires and snow tires and i am constantly switching rims and getting new tires and so on and so on. Well worth it for me to buy a sensor machine thingy..

Yes, it is good to digitally see all your tires with their psi readings.

Bought a used 2013 tesla S, I have a 2012 and two 2013's now. Love these cars.

The last one I bought, the owner got me every invoice on every repair that was done on his car at Tesla.
Amazing info to have on a used tesla, only the previous owner can get this from his tesla service center.

In my research of these invoices. There was a repair done on a faulty TPMS.
One of the TPMS, faulted out and completely shut down his car, as in in faulted over 8 more codes on the car, the car would not shut off, would not reboot, would not start, nothing. He had to have it towed.
All from a faulty TPMS.. WTF..
Sure enough, same thing happened to me., arghhhh.
Had to let the car sit plugged in for 2 days, then it finally shut down and reset itself.

Yeo, took off those dang sensors and never again had it happened. Actually had a custom sticker that says tesla on it to cover up the annoy warning sign below my miles.

??? TPMS sensors on your car for reading the psi in your tires that you can't actually read on your dash???? Uhhh, I'm good, I bought a tire gauge, I don't mind getting dirty .. haha
I rented a P85D on Turo and while I had it for the week the car had a loaner 21" turbine on it from Tesla so the tire warning was on the dash the whole time. I noticed during a few runs on open road that the car was limited to 100 mph. Do you know if yours is also limited with the tire warning on? I was curious if the tire warning limited the speed or if there was something else going on with the car but I never got an answer.

I have a set of 21s with the old sensors that I have not swapped out yet. the car is not speed limited.
Interesting. The car did have a couple errors that came up while I had it one after supercharging that said car may need service or may not restart but they would go away and everything else worked fine. I wonder if the battery had some problems or something but was always curious if the limit to 100 was from the tire sensor.

My original tpms we're quoted as 50 per sensor plus 100 for install. Basically, it could have been up to $300.

The upgrade was $550. They waived the fee to install since I bought new tires at the same time.

I have gone through 3 rears and 2 fronts in 14500 miles. Madness.

I had tpms failures 2 x on my 2013 S85 so tesla upgraded me to the newer continental sensors and individual readout on the display for no charge.

@walla2 curious how much did it run you outside of warranty?
I had tpms failures 2 x on my 2013 S85 so tesla upgraded me to the newer continental sensors and individual readout on the display for no charge.

@walla2 curious how much did it run you outside of warranty?

Reactions: JPUConn
I have a 2015 car (uses the newer Conti sensors) and had a couple of questions as I'm buying a second set of wheels to have dedicated summers/winters so I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer to:

1. What happens if you don't gave any tpms on a newer sensor car? (I. E. What is the warning and does the car limit itself in any way)

2. Is there anything special needed to install them or can I just leave the second set of tpms with my tire shop and they will take care of it with my second set of oem wheels etc.?

Thanks

So is there a consensus? If you have no TPMS will the car have issues?

I just bought some used stock Tesla rims on EBay with no TPMS and was not planning on getting TPMS.

Update:
I installed my "new" rims with no TPMS and have no problems. I don't even get a warning light. The car displays dashes where the digits for PSI would normally be, if I choose that info to be displayed at all. I have 2014 85 AP1 car.

Update:
I installed my "new" rims with no TPMS and have no problems. I don't even get a warning light. The car displays dashes where the digits for PSI would normally be, if I choose that info to be displayed at all. I have 2014 85 AP1 car.

2nd Update: There is now message on the dash saying to contact Tesla service. Also my parking sensors are no longer making pings as I approach objects. Not sure if it's related.