Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To update or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KArnold

May 21, 2017
Columbus OH
I stopped updating my AP2/MCU1 car a few months ago. My first thought was to hang out for a month or so reading the forum here for effects - if nothing bad is reported that I care about, I'll let it rip. I'm usually in the bottom 10% of people on TeslaFi running the various software levels. I'm concerned that some day Tesla will expand #batterygate to my '17 MS100D or something worse, let alone the endless bugs.

But now I'm wondering if I should just stop completely now and instead look for a real reason to install? For example I use the texting feature and would install that but again a month behind the first to update. But all of these untested "bug fix" releases? They do more harm then they are worth, IMHO.

I'm honestly not sure why any of us with old tech especially would automatically install these - i guess I just don't trust Tesla that much.

Yes? No?

Reactions: TSLC
I stopped updating my AP2/MCU1 car a few months ago. My first thought was to hang out for a month or so reading the forum here for effects - if nothing bad is reported that I care about, I'll let it rip. I'm usually in the bottom 10% of people on TeslaFi running the various software levels. I'm concerned that some day Tesla will expand #batterygate to my '17 MS100D or something worse, let alone the endless bugs.

But now I'm wondering if I should just stop completely now and instead look for a real reason to install? For example I use the texting feature and would install that but again a month behind the first to update. But all of these untested "bug fix" releases? They do more harm then they are worth, IMHO.

I'm honestly not sure why any of us with old tech especially would automatically install these - i guess I just don't trust Tesla that much.

Yes? No?

Sorry. I hit the post reply with no reply. Just wanted to say, though, that there are thousands of Model Ses of older vintage that get these OTA updates year in and year out and there are few if any problems. I've had a 2012, a 2015, and now a 2020 Model S, and I just always allow the updates to install. Why in the world are you worried? You believe in conspiracy theories? Let me say, Life's Too Short!

If you are afraid that your car will somehow be better off with a faster charge that heats up your battery beyond what Tesla's tests determine to be detrimental, I don't get it. So your supercharging is slowed. What are you doing having to supercharge all the time while sitting worrying that it's taking a few minutes longer? I'd recommend that you arrange to charge on your own 220 outlet. Or is that gonna cost you too much in electricity? And what's your hurry when you're sucking at Tesla's free charging teat?

Sounds to me as if you're overthinking this. Just charge your car and quit worrying. Or charge it at home.

I now only update when it makes sense. AP2/MCU1. If things are currently working well in their entirety, there is no must have and or new features do not apply; I skip. Not interested in fighting new bugs and the premature death of my MCU.

You have a newer 400V 100 pack; you are unaffected by supercharging nerfs, batterygate, range clawbacks, fire prevention gate keeping, and other related problems. If you have a 60/75/85/90 pack you are in some way at risk, if you have a 70/100 pack, you are unaffected for now.

Reactions: KArnold