Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Window tint, or not Window tint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks that have had their car for a while, any thoughts on whether to "tint" the windows or leave as is?

Let me know what you think...

Thanks,
Chris

I did not tint my windows and I have no regrets.
The windows, including the panoramic roof, come with a special heat repelling metallic film that does a good job with the heat.
I have transition glasses for most situations and a pair of prescription sunnies for really bright days that I keep in the glove box.
If you were in Queensland you might consider it, but I doubt you will need it in Victoria.

The pano roof is fine.
My wife bitched unceasingly soon after i got the car in December last year. Had the windows tinted to maximum allowed in NSW (bearing in mind you cannot use metallic films because of all the antennas), and no further complaints of heat intrusion.
So, yes do the windows, but not the pano roof.

The pano roof is fine.
My wife bitched unceasingly soon after i got the car in December last year. Had the windows tinted to maximum allowed in NSW (bearing in mind you cannot use metallic films because of all the antennas), and no further complaints of heat intrusion.
You are correct of course; the main reason to get the windows tinted is reduce the noise factor:)

Does anyone have any recommendations for a window-tinter in Melbourne? I've been really noticing the heat coming through the side windows the last few weeks and it's only going to get worse. I guess our collective actions haven't stopped global warming yet!

I haven't had it done, but I'm sure the guys at the SC had someone doing tints and clear bra to a Model S. Might be worth checking it out.

I had 35% applied a few weeks ago - certainly looks better and stops some of the nose marks on the side windows from people peering in...

If you want to get some pleasure from the nose marks, stand back and use the horn feature on the app. Worked well on a dude that decided kissing the nose cone was a good idea.

Window tinting Wednesday as the adelaide sun is too intense.

• Helpful
Reactions: weak_pig
The pano roof is fine.

Hey Dborn,

I'm keen to get my windows tinted too. Can I ask where you got your windows tinted and how much? And would you use them again?

I've had a bad experience with window tinters before so I'm looking for someone who'll do a quality job.

Cheers,
Carl.

Hey Dborn,

I'm keen to get my windows tinted too. Can I ask where you got your windows tinted and how much? And would you use them again?

I've had a bad experience with window tinters before so I'm looking for someone who'll do a quality job.

Cheers,
Carl.
I had mine done by Reflect effect who also did my Opticoat pro. They are in Parramatta and very out of the way for me - i live on the Lower North Shore. He (David) did a fantastic job - you cannot see a thing, looks just like the car came this way from the factory. yes, indeed, i would use him again in a heartbeat. My car actually needs to go back for the annual Opticoat service to maintain the warranty on the Opticoat, at which time he will touch up those areas that i have damaged in the past year. I also got hime to put film on the door edges and to do the Opticoat leather and glass treatment. The glass was a waste of time and money, not sure about the leather - the jury is still out on that one. I have dye transfer on the drivers seat at my belt level which i cannot seem to shift with any leather cleaning product. Once He has a go at it, i will make up my mind as to the value or otherwise of the leather protection provided by Opticoat. The paint protector is hands down worth it, and my car looks fantastic after a wash, which is very easy with the protector. I don't have a price for you, but give him a call. He has done quite a few Teslas since I had mine done.

I had mine done by Reflect effect who also did my Opticoat pro. They are in Parramatta and very out of the way for me - i live on the Lower North Shore. He (David) did a fantastic job - you cannot see a thing, looks just like the car came this way from the factory. yes, indeed, i would use him again in a heartbeat. My car actually needs to go back for the annual Opticoat service to maintain the warranty on the Opticoat, at which time he will touch up those areas that i have damaged in the past year. I also got hime to put film on the door edges and to do the Opticoat leather and glass treatment. The glass was a waste of time and money, not sure about the leather - the jury is still out on that one. I have dye transfer on the drivers seat at my belt level which i cannot seem to shift with any leather cleaning product. Once He has a go at it, i will make up my mind as to the value or otherwise of the leather protection provided by Opticoat. The paint protector is hands down worth it, and my car looks fantastic after a wash, which is very easy with the protector. I don't have a price for you, but give him a call. He has done quite a few Teslas since I had mine done.

Gee you look after your Tesla well. I think Dborn is our resident go-to guy when it comes to getting stuff done on the Tesla. The guy has a true wealth of knowledge and experience when it comes to just about anything, including:
Window tinting
Opticoat Pro
Film for cars
Puddle Light Logos
Internal centre shelf
Tail gate parcel shelf lifter
Touch-up mobile guy
Wheel rim protectors
And that's just for starters!

Here's to Dborn!

Gee you look after your Tesla well. I think Dborn is our resident go-to guy when it comes to getting stuff done on the Tesla. The guy has a true wealth of knowledge and experience when it comes to just about anything, including:
Window tinting
Opticoat Pro
Film for cars
Puddle Light Logos
Internal centre shelf
Tail gate parcel shelf lifter
Touch-up mobile guy
Wheel rim protectors
And that's just for starters!

Here's to Dborn!
Hear, hear.
and many thanks to all for sharing their knowledge and ideas.
Now off to find the internal centre shelf thread????

Thanks Dborn. That's exactly what I wanted. I'll give them a call tomorrow.