Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To wrap-0r not to wrap

do you plan on or have you done a protective wrap or applicant to your Tesla?

• Yes

Votes: 62 72.1%
  • No

Votes: 24 27.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner of a beautiful Obsidan Black 70D. Color aside, knowing the issues with a black car, I wonder at the decision to wrap our apply protective applicants to car. I've read the various threads on this and even got a quote myself. How many of you are doing this?

I went through the same thing when I got the car, I decided not to. In hindsight, I probably should have had the hood and mirrors wrapped, after a year, i'm just going to live with it.

I have a few rock chips on my hood, and on a blue car, it's pretty visible.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ashkenaz
Started with the idea of wrapping the bumper and mirrors. Then came the refresh, so I added the rocker panels. Then I looked at the chips in my current car's hood and rear quarter panels. Then read posts about scraping the paint by pulling things out of the back.

Yup, I'm getting the whole damn thing done.

I had full wrap when I first got my car in 2014. I am happy with it, but I wish it could give more smooth surface... if you really care about the gloss and shiny, mirror-like body surface, I don't recommend XPEL. It has subtle orange-peel-like look.
I haven't tried any coatings over XPEL though. Many recommended it, but my installer said negative. XPEL is not for enjoying gloss finish, it's solely for protection, he said. I usually ask my detailer to apply carnuba wax on XPEL. It increases the gross just a bit.

I used XPEL ultimate on the full front (and a strip along the rear bumper to protect against things going in and out of the hatch) and opticoated the whole car.

No seams - ok a subtle one on the rear bumper.
No orange peel.
High gloss - it ain't a Delorian after all :p

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Are all your edges wrapped? Can you post some close up pics please? Is this Xpel Ultimate?

Yes it's Xpel Ultimate. Edges are wrapped, probably can't see from this picture. I'll have to take some close ups. The lines that you see on the right fender is a reflection of a car parked nearby.

Started with the idea of wrapping the bumper and mirrors. Then came the refresh, so I added the rocker panels. Then I looked at the chips in my current car's hood and rear quarter panels. Then read posts about scraping the paint by pulling things out of the back.

Yup, I'm getting the whole damn thing done.
I went through the same thought process. Need to schedule as I take delivery Friday. Yippee

Reactions: Rhyder
View attachment 181689 View attachment 181688

Yes it's Xpel Ultimate. Edges are wrapped, probably can't see from this picture. I'll have to take some close ups. The lines that you see on the right fender is a reflection of a car parked nearby.

That looks really good. Did you just search Xpel ultimate appliers in ur area? If you don't want to post publicly could you PM me the cost?

$6K sounds a tad high but it may depend on supply & demand. Are there a lot of installers in your area? Ohio?

If you want to save a little, just wrap a subset (e.g. hood, bumpers/fenders, doors, mirrors.) You don't have to do it all at once.