Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To wrap-0r not to wrap

do you plan on or have you done a protective wrap or applicant to your Tesla?

• Yes

Votes: 62 72.1%
  • No

Votes: 24 27.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a dissenting opinion. I got Opticoat-Pro professionally applied two years ago, and I was never happy with it. It's not a wrap and offers no protection against rock chips, etc (not that I expected it to do that, I'm just saying you can't compare it to Xpel or other wraps).

It was supposed to make the car easier to wash and resist dirt, but it didn't do that at all. I still had to wash my car just as often, the same ways as normal. In addition, OCP gave the entire car a slight "tacky" feeling, not a smooth gloss feeling the original paint finish had.

But next week I'm getting my car dipped with Autoflex, which is a spray-on, peelable paint like Plastidip, but better, which is a much less expensive alternative to Xpel or vinyl wraps and allows you to select from thousands of color combinations, too. Autoflex can be buffed, sanded, waxed, etc and costs less than $2k. And if you change your mind, you can just peel it off in 20 minutes and do something different. Xpel is much more labor intensive to remove.

That looks really good. Did you just search Xpel ultimate appliers in ur area? If you don't want to post publicly could you PM me the cost?

I am sure you already figured out what you wanted to do by now...but for the sake of people looking at this thread later on.
If you go to Xpel's website you can easily search for installers in your area. Each installer has pictures of vehicles they've done, and has a rating. The rating isn't a quality rating, it is a rating on how many cars they've installed on. For example, someone with a rating of 5 has done a lot more cars than someone with a rating of 1 or 2.

Here is the link: Installer Locator - XPEL

Hope that helps somebody. :)

Just a dissenting opinion. I got Opticoat-Pro professionally applied two years ago, and I was never happy with it. It's not a wrap and offers no protection against rock chips, etc (not that I expected it to do that, I'm just saying you can't compare it to Xpel or other wraps).

It was supposed to make the car easier to wash and resist dirt, but it didn't do that at all. I still had to wash my car just as often, the same ways as normal. In addition, OCP gave the entire car a slight "tacky" feeling, not a smooth gloss feeling the original paint finish had.

But next week I'm getting my car dipped with Autoflex, which is a spray-on, peelable paint like Plastidip, but better, which is a much less expensive alternative to Xpel or vinyl wraps and allows you to select from thousands of color combinations, too. Autoflex can be buffed, sanded, waxed, etc and costs less than $2k. And if you change your mind, you can just peel it off in 20 minutes and do something different. Xpel is much more labor intensive to remove.

I'm planning to get a new Tesla in three years. No need to spend several G's when a far superior Tesla will be available by then. Then again, I don't use the bulky phone covers or cases that I see around.

How have you liked your coating so far? Any feedback on the whole experience of having it installed?

I'm planning to get a new Tesla in three years. No need to spend several G's when a far superior Tesla will be available by then. Then again, I don't use the bulky phone covers or cases that I see around.

I have no actual idea what you are saying here, or why my post was relevant to your comment.

How have you liked your coating so far? Any feedback on the whole experience of having it installed?

It's 1000% awesome. I like it more and more everyday. I get comments about it wherever I go. Totally worth it, and protects the factory paint underneath, too.

You can see the results here: Dipped my car: Autoflex Matte + ZTA Hypershift + Blueberry Juice

Reactions: AutoArmour
View some of the unwrapping videos on YouTube after the car is several years old. They were enough to scare me away from wrapping my MS. It looks like the plastic fuses to your paint after awhile, and is nearly impossible to remove without destroying the paint. I'll live with carefully filling in the occasional paint chip that I may get.

I've never once considered wraps or anything like this for any other car and I have owned a ton of new ones.

I come here and I am considering $$$$ wraps which is crazy in my eyes but honestly I see owning this S longer than any other car I have owned before, which is 2 years.

We have had nothing but positive feedback on our Paint Protection Film Tesla installs. The film will most definitely protect the paint from rock chips and is simple (and safe) to remove by any certified installer if you no longer wish to have the film on the vehicle. The best protection for easy maintenance of the wrapped vehicle is to also have a protective coating applied over the clear film.

View some of the unwrapping videos on YouTube after the car is several years old. They were enough to scare me away from wrapping my MS. It looks like the plastic fuses to your paint after awhile, and is nearly impossible to remove without destroying the paint. I'll live with carefully filling in the occasional paint chip that I may get.
You are correct. I live in Florida where this is a big problem. If you leave a wrap on more then 2 years in the sun it's very hard to remove. I have the front end of my Nsx done which is black and up close you see orange peel. It works great for rock chips but I would remove it after a few years to be safe

Reactions: Fresh Start Detail
I don't plan on wrapping. It seems $4,000 is an average price and I don't think I'll accumulate $4,000 in rock chip damage. My 5 year old car has maybe 3-4 tiny rock chip marks that I only notice when I wash the vehicle.

If I decide to wrap eventually, I will probably just do the forward facing panels.

I don't have the car yet but will next Thursday. I am getting almost a full wrap (excluding hatchback) of Suntek PPF, CQuartz Finest on the whole car including wheels and brake calipers, and Photosync Spectra Window Tint (35%) for just under $6000. If you live around San Antonio, check out Jay's Detail (jaysdetail.com).