Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To wrap or not to wrap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question all: I’ve been thinking about wrapping the whole car in matte vinyl. Other than protecting the original paint, is there any advantage to let’s say, a matte wrapped car in terms of keeping it clean? Is it some magical wrap that doesn’t require as frequent washing as compared to paint?

The durability depends on you getting the ceramic coating over the PPF.

I'm pretty happy with mine. Had it about a month now, and here in the Northeast, it has held up pretty well with the snow and slush and salt on the roads.

I have one of the silicone blades that detailers use to wipe water off, and I use it for the snow and ice. the ceramic coating helps it slide right off.

3967175967345805008.jpg
IMG_20190112_103336.jpg
MVIMG_20190112_103327.jpg

If you want to protect your car’s paint from rock chips, door dings, scrapes, clear PPF would be the way to go. If you want to change the color of your car, then vinyl is the route. Both can be coated with ceramic to make washing dirt, bird and bee poop off your car easier and quicker.

Keep in mind if you go with a colored vinyl wrap and it gets scratched, the damaged areas will be more noticable than instead having a clear PPF on it. Products like Xpel PPF have a self-healing property as well. Vinyl does not have the same thickness or is even intended to offer a comparable level of paint protection from objects as does PPF. It’s a matter of looks over body paint protection.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohsnapclick
Bird poop is very acidic and will affect a car’s paint, clear PPF or vinyl if left on the surface. Hard water landscaping spray will affect their surface as well.

I have ceramic over my clear Xpel and washing the car or spot removing bird or bee poop is pretty effortless. Dirt just wants to run off the car. When we take the car to be washed the guys really love it’s had ceramic coating.

Last edited: