Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To wrap or not to wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
At the moment I'm considering to matte wrap my model S. I really like what they did here, but I'd like to keep the chrome.
Tesla Model S wrapped in XPEL Stealth paint protection film | Northwest Auto Salon)

My reasons for wrapping the car: it's beautifull and makes it unique and personal. And I'm a proud father of 3 young children who play in near area of the Tesla, so I'd like to protect the paint a bit.

What are your experiences with carwrapping? I'm interested how the matte wrap will last after a couple of years. Does it stay beautifull? Is it easy in maintenance? (I wash the car with 2 bucket, foamgun, etc). Regulary I see a black matte wrapped car with ugly stripes or something on it. Just not looking really tight. Is this what I can expect to wrap to look like after a couple of years or is it an example of a wrap done with cheap material?

Love to hear your experiences! Thanks!

Hi,
At the moment I'm considering to matte wrap my model S. I really like what they did here, but I'd like to keep the chrome.
Tesla Model S wrapped in XPEL Stealth paint protection film | Northwest Auto Salon)

My reasons for wrapping the car: it's beautifull and makes it unique and personal. And I'm a proud father of 3 young children who play in near area of the Tesla, so I'd like to protect the paint a bit.

What are your experiences with carwrapping? I'm interested how the matte wrap will last after a couple of years. Does it stay beautifull? Is it easy in maintenance? (I wash the car with 2 bucket, foamgun, etc). Regulary I see a black matte wrapped car with ugly stripes or something on it. Just not looking really tight. Is this what I can expect to wrap to look like after a couple of years or is it an example of a wrap done with cheap material?

Love to hear your experiences! Thanks!
My experience was a disaster. Took a black car and wrapped it in red. Color "shifted" leaving me with ... well ... awful!

If I were going matt black I would not order Metallic Blue?

You too might get a color shift?

My own personal opinion, having seem a lot of custom jobs is to leave the car alone; but then Tesla colors are too muted for my taste. Sig Red was perfect, MC Red too hot, Black fine, others too muted.
But it's all personal preference!

I've had my GT-R wrapped 3 times and loved it every time! Did the change just because I could. Not for any problems. I have a black car and found the wrap to be easier to maintain than cleaning a black car on a weekly basis. Not only that, when they removed the wrap this last time, I got to see the original paint, and it looked as good as when I had it wrapped at 500 miles.

About color shift, if you get someone good that shouldn't happen. With the new products out there, it should completely cover your original color.

Finally, if you do that satin wrap is one of the best "looks" as you can see your original color but it just looks a bit different! In a good way. I say go for it! Again, unlike a paint job, you can completely reverse it.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had my GT-R wrapped 3 times and loved it every time! Did the change just because I could. Not for any problems. I have a black car and found the wrap to be easier to maintain than cleaning a black car on a weekly basis. Not only that, when they removed the wrap this last time, I got to see the original paint, and it looked as good as when I had it wrapped at 500 miles.

About color shift, if you get someone good that shouldn't happen. With the new products out there, it should completely cover your original color.

Finally, if you do that satin wrap is one of the best "looks" as you can see your original color but it just looks a bit different! In a good way. I say go for it! Again, unlike a paint job, you can completely reverse it.

Thanks for sharing! What's your experience with those strange, ugly stripes you often see on black matte cars? They look a bit like scratching a candle with your nail (or something).

- - - Updated - - -

IT's not for me, especially going matte (as people have had issues with it), but if it's what you want, and you're happy--go for it.

What sort of issues?

Thanks for sharing! What's your experience with those strange, ugly stripes you often see on black matte cars? They look a bit like scratching a candle with your nail (or something).

- - - Updated - - -

What sort of issues?

Hmm I have no idea what your talking about. Never had it on mine and never on any if my cars. Again, I think the films have improved over the years that this shouldn't even be an issue. When I get home I'll post pics of my car

That car that you posted is my car. I have wrapped the Tesla and my Ferrari as well. I have had zero issues with the Tesla, I think the XPEL film is a lot better than the standard vinyl wrap used to color swap. With the Ferrari I went from red to matte white and haven't had any color shift problems. The Tesla is even better because it's still the same color only satin/matte finished now.

That car that you posted is my car. I have wrapped the Tesla and my Ferrari as well. I have had zero issues with the Tesla, I think the XPEL film is a lot better than the standard vinyl wrap used to color swap. With the Ferrari I went from red to matte white and haven't had any color shift problems. The Tesla is even better because it's still the same color only satin/matte finished now.

Nice one! Really love what you did with the car!
Do you have some outside pictures of your car to get a feel how it looks in real life?

We tried the Xpel matte product and it came out looking less than stellar. There were these obtrusive 2" lines every couple of feet on my car that made my car look like quite bad. Just imagine a picture of your car and you folded the picture several times and that's what I got. My installer tried several different sheets and the results were the same, so we went with colored matte product, which turned out just as bad over time because it yellowed. I'm staying away from this stuff.