Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Wrap or not wrap your Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a full wrap for our Model X using Supreme Shield PPF. The car looks very nice and road debris, dirt and bugs wipe right off. I was debating whether the cost was justified. However, I have a lot more peace of mind now knowing that the car is protected from these minor issues. The cost for the full wrap was $3800 and the guy who did the wrap has done a LOT of Teslas in the Atlanta area.

I have had a few cars more expensive than my X and a lot more collectable and I had never even heard of wrapping until I got on this site! Just take care of the car with frequent washing and polishing. Use a high quality paint polish like Zaino to bring out the color and protect it. Of course you will get the occasional rock chip but those can be easily fixed. Wrapping a car reminds me of my grandmother who would buy a new sofa and immediately put all the cushions in plastic covers. Seems silly. But just my opinion.

Just got a full wrap for our Model X using Supreme Shield PPF. The car looks very nice and road debris, dirt and bugs wipe right off. I was debating whether the cost was justified. However, I have a lot more peace of mind now knowing that the car is protected from these minor issues. The cost for the full wrap was $3800 and the guy who did the wrap has done a LOT of Teslas in the Atlanta area.
Who in Atlanta? I'm picking up in Decatur in October.

For those that have installed a full frontal wrap of your X, have you regretted not including the doors?

And for everyone that installed a wrap, where have you seen the most damage occur to your car? Debating coverage of entire vehicle v. Full front. Include trunk lid, or at least the lip? Rear quarter panel would seem like a good spot for rocks to hit?

I have three kids under age 10 so I am rightly concerned about the seatbacks getting scratched however I was thinking of a much less expensive solution like one of those organizer things that attach to the back of the front seats, lol.
Full wrap here. Two incudents to report:

Wife opened the trunk into the garage door (hadn't pulled in all the way for some reason I can't remember). Ended up with an all but invisible ding in the spoiler, but no pain damage.

Went driving up into the mountains, and parked in a gravel parking lot. Driver's door about a foot up caught a rock - enough to tear the PPF, but no ding and no paint damage. This probably would have been a really bad paint chip.

I have had a few cars more expensive than my X and a lot more collectable and I had never even heard of wrapping until I got on this site! Just take care of the car with frequent washing and polishing. Use a high quality paint polish like Zaino to bring out the color and protect it. Of course you will get the occasional rock chip but those can be easily fixed. Wrapping a car reminds me of my grandmother who would buy a new sofa and immediately put all the cushions in plastic covers. Seems silly. But just my opinion.
Luckily the wrap is all but invisible, so it doesn't look awful like grandma's cushions!

And while we've done a much better job at washing on a regular basis, it's still only ever other week. And in the winter it'll probably drop to once a month, in a touchless car wash. With four young kids and a bajillion other things going on, there's simply no time to properly polish/wax the car. Even paying a detailer to do it would cost more in time (and dollars, vs. a one time wrap + ceramic coating).

To put it in perspective, our last vehicle was lucky to get washed once, maybe twice a year. For our family, a wrap made much more sense to be able to keep the vehicle in prime shape for many years with minimal maintenance.

Luckily the wrap is all but invisible, so it doesn't look awful like grandma's cushions!

And while we've done a much better job at washing on a regular basis, it's still only ever other week. And in the winter it'll probably drop to once a month, in a touchless car wash. With four young kids and a bajillion other things going on, there's simply no time to properly polish/wax the car. Even paying a detailer to do it would cost more in time (and dollars, vs. a one time wrap + ceramic coating).

To put it in perspective, our last vehicle was lucky to get washed once, maybe twice a year. For our family, a wrap made much more sense to be able to keep the vehicle in prime shape for many years with minimal maintenance.

Wow! I have OCD so I have to detail my cars every two weeks. Your situation makes sense and I always forget about Winter since we don't have that in S. Florida. For us the battle is love bugs twice a year (which will actually etch your paint like acid if not removed immediately) and of course rain which puts the sand and road oils right on the car. This is why a paint sealer or carnauba wax is so important here.

Reactions: Ormond
Full wrap here. Two incudents to report:

Wife opened the trunk into the garage door (hadn't pulled in all the way for some reason I can't remember). Ended up with an all but invisible ding in the spoiler, but no pain damage.

Went driving up into the mountains, and parked in a gravel parking lot. Driver's door about a foot up caught a rock - enough to tear the PPF, but no ding and no paint damage. This probably would have been a really bad paint chip.
Did you get the wrap redone under warranty on that panel that it tore through the ppf?

For those that have installed a full frontal wrap of your X, have you regretted not including the doors?

And for everyone that installed a wrap, where have you seen the most damage occur to your car? Debating coverage of entire vehicle v. Full front. Include trunk lid, or at least the lip? Rear quarter panel would seem like a good spot for rocks to hit?

I have three kids under age 10 so I am rightly concerned about the seatbacks getting scratched however I was thinking of a much less expensive solution like one of those organizer things that attach to the back of the front seats, lol.

I did my full front end, rear bumper,
A pillars, seatbacks. I regret not doing the doors and will get them done. I think your X is black right? Darker colors tend to show swirls RIGHT AWAY. it only takes one wash at the carwash and you are guaranteed to have paint swirls. Xpel stops that so if you do get it, make sure if there are scratches and swirls, to get it paint corrected first so it's brand new again prior to coverup.

I suggest doing everything but the roof. Especially with kids and they're fingers, easy to scratch Tesla paint.

Im also going to cquartz the X so it's a breeze to clean (I think).

I did my full front end, rear bumper,
A pillars, seatbacks. I regret not doing the doors and will get them done. I think your X is black right? Darker colors tend to show swirls RIGHT AWAY. it only takes one wash at the carwash and you are guaranteed to have paint swirls. Xpel stops that so if you do get it, make sure if there are scratches and swirls, to get it paint corrected first so it's brand new again prior to coverup.

I suggest doing everything but the roof. Especially with kids and they're fingers, easy to scratch Tesla paint.

Im also going to cquartz the X so it's a breeze to clean (I think).

I second all of this. When I took my X into the detailer he used a bright light to show all the paint defects already in the paint. If you apply XPEL without paint correction it won't hide the defects. I've had my X for 6 months now. Had the paint correction, XPEL and CQuartz done 3 months ago. Just had my X in a car show two weekends ago and people thought it was brand new. I just washed it the day before the show and it looked great.

Wrap has helped with a scratch at the service center at the front.

Not getting wrap on the top appliqué has been very costly. A garage door tap caused scratches to the soft black plastic. To replace the appliqué has taken weeks of wait and re-do. The glass can handle such abuse. The black plastic cannot.

Reactions: Sri Kooturu
I'm wrapping my deep blue MX tomorrow in xpel stealth. I've only had the car a week, but I always worry about door dings. Hopefully this will help with the anxiety.
Had my Sig X wrapped 4 months ago. Just the feeling of security parking in a lot made it worth it. Just had my X on display and people thought it was brand new and they commented on how it was so clean (I also had mine color corrected before the EXPEL Ultimate and then CQuartz applied after). It does make a big difference. Had a couple of small pulls in the EXPEL that I noticed self healed over time. Congratulations on the Blue X.

Wow! I have OCD so I have to detail my cars every two weeks. Your situation makes sense and I always forget about Winter since we don't have that in S. Florida. For us the battle is love bugs twice a year (which will actually etch your paint like acid if not removed immediately) and of course rain which puts the sand and road oils right on the car. This is why a paint sealer or carnauba wax is so important here.

Location definitely is key. It can be more worthwhile in other states due to road chemicals and such, but still, I am finding it really difficult to dish out 3K-5K to wrap it when this car is not going to appreciate or even be considered into the cost if it ever gets sold.

• Helpful
Reactions: Bubbletips
If you live in Southern California, I would strongly recommend using bemarofilms.com. Benjamin did an amazing job on my Model X. I suggest checking out his YouTube page. He did a custom wrap. He did not use a kit. All the edges are wrapped and there are no seams. Flawless job.

Reactions: madodel
I am taking delivery of my UK MX in Jan 17. Having read through most of this post I am wondering what effect full Xpel wrapping has on the the sensors especially at the side FW doors? It is going to cost £5,500 to fully wrap the car and having just read the manual I'm having second thoughts
Tesla states that

"Warning: Applying adhesive products such as wraps, stickers, rubber coating, etc. on the outside of the falcon wing doors can affect the sensors’ ability to detect obstacles properly."

Anyone have any experience of this?