Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Wrap or not wrap your Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I added Xpel Stealth full coverage a few months ago to my Midnight Silver MX for just over $4K including headlights (clear) and seatbacks. I absolutely love the look and protection it provides. My price was so reasonable since the installer (Ft Worth area) is not a high-end store retailer, but does this in addition to other applications of decals to ambulances, commercial vehicles etc. He was listed by Xpel as an authorized installer and did a great job. Others wanted as much as $8K for everything, most closer to $5-6K. Wrapping with vinyl to change the color is one thing, but adding a paint protective film is another, plus Xpel comes with a 10 year warranty, for whatever that is worth.

I even had him cover the door handles to hide fingerprints, and that is also an awesome feature. He was hesitant to do the chrome for fear of cutting the external window trim... perhaps a bit too conservative I think.

front.jpg
20160817_193930-1.jpg
20160817_193718.jpg

I am taking delivery of my UK MX in Jan 17. Having read through most of this post I am wondering what effect full Xpel wrapping has on the the sensors especially at the side FW doors? It is going to cost £5,500 to fully wrap the car and having just read the manual I'm having second thoughts
Tesla states that

"Warning: Applying adhesive products such as wraps, stickers, rubber coating, etc. on the outside of the falcon wing doors can affect the sensors’ ability to detect obstacles properly."

Anyone have any experience of this?
At our shop we have never seen wraps causing problems with any sensors on any cars, including Teslas.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
Thanks, and you are correct about the cost alone of the MX.

Looks like yours will come next month, maybe in time for Xmas.

It will transform your driving and car ownership experience, I hope to enjoy my current vehicle for many years, eventually to be replaced by another Tesla.

Drive safely

Reactions: Fiddler
Left my MX at the installer for 6 days for 3M Pro PPF full wrap with seats and front door windows tinted 50% with Llumar film for $4700. Going to book an appointment for C Quartz Finest at another detailer who applies coatings for $1225 (prices in Canadian $) after I get the X back from getting a Blackvue and radar detector installed.

If you do Xpel stealth and change the surface from shiny to matte, does that make a coating unnecessary since fingerprints and light dust wont be nearly as visible?

I have Xpel stealth on my Midnight Silver since last August, I did not need any paint correction since any factory defects are hidden, so don't let them talk you into that as they would with a clear PPF, which may actualy be necessary.
I did no coating (thought about a ceramic one, but after all this time, see no reason for it), can't see fingerprints, and dust is almost visible, especially compared to a Black paint finish.

I even had it applied to seatbacks (a must) and the door handle, which mutes the chrome and again, no fingerprints. I wanted to the the side-chrome, but the installer said the side-view mirrors would be a real challenge for the thicker PPF, may elect for a vinyl or even a Dip-you-car in clear matte.

I have done all kinds of auto car washes, including No-touch, Soft-touch (Sam's Club), even crappy ones at a local gas station...looks like day it was applied.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Model X Midnight Silver w/ XPEL Stealth

Left my MX at the installer for 6 days for 3M Pro PPF full wrap with seats and front door windows tinted 50% with Llumar film for $4700. Going to book an appointment for C Quartz Finest at another detailer who applies coatings for $1225 (prices in Canadian $) after I get the X back from getting a Blackvue and radar detector installed.

Pretty good pricing on the 3M with seats and two front windows tinting, Almost embarrassed to say for $4400 USD, I got Xpel Stealth (more $$$) everywhere (front, back, sides, top), including front and back light lenses (clear), and Huper Optik tint everywhere but lower windshield, where had legal thermal block, but I really shopped around and worked the deal. I had some quotes as high as $8000.

It's your money, but I've had Xpel Stealth on mine since July, can't see the need for a nano-coating over it. It's not recommended by the manufacturer, and who knows if it actually will last. You may want to reconsider the C Quartz Finest... just friendly advice.

I am the laziest when it comes to care care, and the thought of the no-water car wash sounds like too much work for me. $6 every 2 weeks at Sam's Club soft-touch, and mine looks great.

Reactions: ModelX
I'm going to have XPEL stealth applied to my white MX, was wondering about wrapping the plastic parts of the car. The wrap guy says "Please note that the plastic wrap of your car can't be wrapped. there is not enough adhesion for the vinyl there and it would start peeling off right away. ", but I've seen some cars with it for example: Tesla Model X - ALL Satin White Any ideas how they did that? Do I need to find another shop? Also should I wrap the plastic parts first matching original colour and then apply XPEL stealth or wrap it with satin white and then xpel the rest?

Thanks!

I'm going to have XPEL stealth applied to my white MX, was wondering about wrapping the plastic parts of the car. The wrap guy says "Please note that the plastic wrap of your car can't be wrapped. there is not enough adhesion for the vinyl there and it would start peeling off right away. ", but I've seen some cars with it for example: Tesla Model X - ALL Satin White Any ideas how they did that? Do I need to find another shop? Also should I wrap the plastic parts first matching original colour and then apply XPEL stealth or wrap it with satin white and then xpel the rest?

Thanks!
Which plastic parts are you referring to? My headlights and fog lights are wrapped, but not the door "handles", T log under the hood, turn signals on the front sides, or the dark grey plastic pieces along the bottom of the car or around the wheel wells. I'd have to agree that I doubt it would stick very well to any of those pieces.

Which plastic parts are you referring to? My headlights and fog lights are wrapped, but not the door "handles", T log under the hood, turn signals on the front sides, or the dark grey plastic pieces along the bottom of the car or around the wheel wells. I'd have to agree that I doubt it would stick very well to any of those pieces.
Ah, you ARE referring to the dark plastic along the bottom. I was wondering what seemed "off" about that white X. I don't know how on earth they got that wrapped. The plastic already has a texture to it that seems like it would be impossible to get anything to stick to it.

Ah, you ARE referring to the dark plastic along the bottom. I was wondering what seemed "off" about that white X. I don't know how on earth they got that wrapped. The plastic already has a texture to it that seems like it would be impossible to get anything to stick to it.

Yeah that's the spot.

It was my understanding that those plastic trim pieces around the wheel wells are usually painted to match body paint. Perhaps once painted, PPF will adhere better.

Ok so the best option would be to get it painted to match the car, then PPF the entire car? What do you guys think of the look?

Yeah that's the spot.

Ok so the best option would be to get it painted to match the car, then PPF the entire car? What do you guys think of the look?
it looks odd to me, but that's just my opinion. I'm used to how my car looks. I also think the chrome trim delete is odd. Trim pieces are there to break up too much of the same color. But to each his own. I will say the plastic rockers and wheel trims take a beating if you drive a lot (especially if you drive much on gravel/dirt roads. Which I don't a lot, but did take a vacation in the woods that had lots of that). So maybe getting those wrapped would help? I'd be more worried that it would show even more, though, and it's such a beating even PPF wouldn't be enough to protect it. Basically mine are even more rough than the original texture now, so it doesn't look odd, and I can only tell because I hand wash my car enough that I'm familiar with it.