Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toasted Charge port ECU and Wall connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my 2020 Y and Gen3 Wall connector since Sept of 2020. Last week home charging via Gen3 Wall connector stopped with several error messages about charging not ready, etc. Other threads pointed to a failure of the charging port ECU needing to be replaced. Made an appointment at Service Center last Thur and they got ECU replace and charged fine on the service center Level 2 charger. Get home and Wall Connector showing solid Red light and called Home Charging support. Sure enough the wall connector is also toast and they have to ship a new one. All electrical was done professionally by a Tesla recommended installer. Anyone run into this problem with both Wall Connector and ECU toasted?

Yesterday came home plugged in the wall unit and the same, red light came on, doesn't charge. It has been fine since I got the car back in October 2020. Have Been onto customer service and we updated the firmware and again, tried it, nothing and red light come up again!! The charger has been operating fine till now. Would you say the unit has gone bad?
I am using the charger that came with the car but doesn't charge it quick enough, so need to find a supercharger and now have to pay to charge which sucks!

Yesterday came home plugged in the wall unit and the same, red light came on, doesn't charge. It has been fine since I got the car back in October 2020. Have Been onto customer service and we updated the firmware and again, tried it, nothing and red light come up again!! The charger has been operating fine till now. Would you say the unit has gone bad?
I am using the charger that came with the car but doesn't charge it quick enough, so need to find a supercharger and now have to pay to charge which sucks!
Same symptoms here. First I was getting notifications in the car and suspected only the charging port ECU but that was only first part for me. After working with Home Charger support,and seeing only solid Red light on wall connector they concluded it was bad and now awaiting notification as to replacement.

Same symptoms here. First I was getting notifications in the car and suspected only the charging port ECU but that was only first part for me. After working with Home Charger support,and seeing only solid Red light on wall connector they concluded it was bad and now awaiting notification as to replacement.
Thank you, I'll push for that today, thanks again..

I've had my 2020 Y and Gen3 Wall connector since Sept of 2020. Last week home charging via Gen3 Wall connector stopped with several error messages about charging not ready, etc. Other threads pointed to a failure of the charging port ECU needing to be replaced. Made an appointment at Service Center last Thur and they got ECU replace and charged fine on the service center Level 2 charger. Get home and Wall Connector showing solid Red light and called Home Charging support. Sure enough the wall connector is also toast and they have to ship a new one. All electrical was done professionally by a Tesla recommended installer. Anyone run into this problem with both Wall Connector and ECU toasted?
I am having issues also. I am advised to get electrician. Who pays for the electrician and, in the case of a replacement, the installation?

I am having issues also. I am advised to get electrician. Who pays for the electrician and, in the case of a replacement, the installation?
If the Wall connector is the only thing faulty, you can DIY that without needing to touch high voltage wires. It's designed so it can pull off of the backplate and be swapped without an electrician.

But yeah, Tesla is not going to pay for an electrician.