Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TOCA Membership

Do you think TOCA is worth the dollars?

• Yes

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • No

Votes: 23 67.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears my TOCA membership has already expired. Can anyone think of a reason to renew this?
All interactions with other Tesla owners are done on TMC (here), Tesla Australia (Slack) and Tesla Queensland (WhatsApp).

I think, unless someone has a good reason for me to cough up more dollars, I'll just let it lapse.

Hey Ray

Sorry to hear you're unhappy with TOCA. We're a new club, yet to even have our first AGM. But in the time that we've been begun, we've held over 40 events, have established the loan adaptor program (so members do not have to buy adaptors) and the co-pilot program (for newbie owners with heaps of questions), and are now working with AEVA to build a Round Australia charging circuit.

We've established popular Facebook and Twitter accounts, and are working with organisations to lobby Ministers for a strong and sustainable EV future. We've actively worked with Tesla and with other TOCs to build relationships and develop future opportunities.

Individual members who appreciate what we've done and where we are going are happy with that and are renewing their memberships. I absolutely acknowledge that our achievements and priorities might not gel with everyone, and also acknowledge that we have been tardy in finalising our Club welcome packs (and foundation members gifts), but on the whole I'm proud of what we've achieved.

If you choose to leave TOCA I'll be disappointed, and I hope that you choose to look at us again in future. I also invite you to email me (just reply to today's newsletter to get in touch) if you'd like to give more specific feedback.

Regards
Jude Burger
TOCA President

Also it's not just about what you get, but what you are supporting.

The Round Australia Charging Route would not have got off the ground if we had not got some early numbers (at a TOCA event) on how many people were interested in doing the trip. Also I think it's fair to say that TOCA's early commitment helped achieve a similar commitment from AEVA nationally which has got the whole project on the road, and looking good for end of year completion to 400km max spacing (300 avg) with the Central Australian route thrown in !

(Also note AEVA WA's achievements - another great example !)

Last edited:
I recently went on a recruiting drive for TOCA in Tasmania - after it was drawn to my attention that I was the only Tas member (Associate, not an owner - yet!). I emailed a group of owners who I know and analysed the benefits as they would relate to someone living here:

According to the TOCA site - Apply for Membership - here are the membership benefits (with my comments next to them in red):

• Access to Tesla premises (and Tesla personnel on occasion) for events (no real benefit to Tassie members unless travelling interstate)
  • 20-30% discount on select merchandise as part of the annual bulk buys via TOCA
  • Borrowing of a variety of charging adapters through our Adapter Loan Program (Full Membership only) (No real benefit - assuming you already have J1772 adaptors, and Chademo adaptor only useful interstate, and even then only if you're traveling outside of supercharger coverage)
  • Direct communication (via the Club) to Tesla to submit comments and suggestions
  • Access to local, interstate and national events every year (all members will be informed of events across Australia to allow for travelling Tesla owners, though all events will not be open to all members) (Noting that without you guys involved, there won't be events!)
  • Member newsletter, which will include Press information from Tesla
  • Member discounts with businesses that support Tesla owners (see note below)
Note that if the Electric Highway is successful, the ability to borrow a Chademo adaptor (retail cost $700) will pay for itself.
The last item on the list is the only real tangible benefit at the moment. The list of businesses is only available on their site if you are a member and have logged in, and is quite lengthy, so here is a summary:

NATIONAL
Jetcharge http://www.jetcharge.com.au - Jetcharge offers a 5% discount for members for installation and also for charging stations for domestic use.
EVNomics http://evnomics.com.au - Evnomics offers a 5% discount for members.
EVE http://evse.com.au - 10% off all charging stations and 5% off charging cables and portable charging equipment.

* Various discounts/offers with a number of accommodation providers in ACT, NSW, Vic and Qld with Tesla destination chargers
* Various discounts with detailing businesses in Vic and ACT
* Various discounts with Tesla chauffered services (11% from Evoke in Syd, 20% with Travelux in Melb)

There aren't any Tas specific businesses.

So as you can see - no tangible benefits unless travelling interstate - of course this will change if the Electric Highway proposal goes ahead. I think the situation would be different for you @raynewman - no doubt there will be an opening event with the new Brisbane showroom, and there are already several Chademo chargers around Brisbane and more coming up the coast, although if you already own a Chademo adaptor this may be negated.

I recently went on a recruiting drive for TOCA in Tasmania - after it was drawn to my attention that I was the only Tas member (Associate, not an owner - yet!). I emailed a group of owners who I know and analysed the benefits as they would relate to someone living here:

So as you can see - no tangible benefits unless travelling interstate - of course this will change if the Electric Highway proposal goes ahead. I think the situation would be different for you @raynewman - no doubt there will be an opening event with the new Brisbane showroom, and there are already several Chademo chargers around Brisbane and more coming up the coast, although if you already own a Chademo adaptor this may be negated.
The opening of the new Brisbane showroom is nothing to do with TOCA; it's a purely Tesla event.
I already have all adapters that are any use and I use CHAdeMO regularly.

I'm also not sure why I joined. Or more specifically, why there is a cost.
I enjoy the fellowship of other Tesla enthusiasts, but this forum does that.
I, also, wonder about the cost. As for forums (fora - what is the plural?) there are n+1 facebook pages on the topic. I actually was in most of them but decided I didn't need that much exposure so got out. One I would recommend is "Tesla & Home Xchange Worldwide".
Besides that one, currently I actively participate on TMC (this one), Slack and WhatsApp. I feel that's enough time wasting for one person.

@raynewman , there's a big list of accommodation providers offering discounts - surely you would benefit from those?

In my case, I'm an associate member, so a bit cheaper, but it's not always a matter of "getting your money's worth" - it's sometimes a matter of supporting the aims of the organisation. For example the AEVA/TOCA "Round Australia" 3-phase chargers, won't directly benefit me, and if I wasn't a member I could still use them, but it's a great idea to support.

I think h
The conversation here reflects the reality of the modern world, in so much as "physical membership" of clubs is sometimes almost irrelevant to the support and benefit that one can provide and receive. It's a world of information in the first instance and then it's up to the individual to make use of that information.

Reactions: Blue heaven
I am all for supporting the mission, and part of the reason I bought a Model S rather than keep waiting for my M3 reservation was to show my support for Tesla, and start being an ambassador. I'm happy to chip in funds toward any worthwhile project that drives EV adoption.
But since joining TOCA about six months ago it's felt more like a mailing list than a club.
Not sure what the $100 is for.

Reactions: mike_j
Not sure what the $100 is for.

A bit of the $100 gets spent on the 3 phase outlets themselves which we send to sites. We have just sent TOCA/AEVA funded 3 phase outlets to Erldunda Roadhouse (the stop before Alice Springs and the turnoff to Uluru) and Timber Creek Roadhouse in the west (with a lovely shaded riverside camping area). Further north, Dunmarra RH and Charles Darwin Uni have committed to install 3 phase sockets. We are only one site away from completing the Northern Territory (to Darwin, Qld border, WA border AND SA border!) to a maximum spacing of 330km.

And @Dylanpete will be tackling the Queensland gaps when he returns to Oz in August.

Keep those membership renewals coming in !

Last edited:
Reactions: BenT and Chuq
A bit of the $100 gets spent on the 3 phase outlets themselves which we send to sites. We have just sent TOCA/AEVA funded 3 phase outlets to Erldunda Roadhouse (the stop before Alice Springs and the turnoff to Uluru) and Timber Creek Roadhouse in the west (with a lovely shaded riverside camping area). Further north, Dunmarra RH and Charles Darwin Uni have committed to install 3 phase sockets. We are only one site away from completing the Northern Territory (to Darwin, Qld border, WA border AND SA border!) to a maximum spacing of 330km.

And @Dylanpete will be tackling the Queensland gaps when he returns to Oz in August.

Keep those membership renewals coming in !
Well that makes me feel a bit better :)
I also realized that because I don't use facebook I've been missing a bit more communication. Just don't want to get sucked into that particular time-vortex just yet...

Are there any other projects or ideas out there for advancing EV adoption?

Well that makes me feel a bit better :)
Are there any other projects or ideas out there for advancing EV adoption?

> Adapter loan program to get Teslas out and more visible

> Trips program again to get Teslas out and more visible - including Alice Springs next month (an official TOCA trip) where we will give presentations at the Eco Fair, have a TOCA display (which we couldn't do without the Club's insurance), and a week later we will have one or two Teslas in the Henley on Todd parade ! ! Why don't you come along? There will be quite a few 3 phase charging locations en route.

> TOCA is a Corporate Member of the Australian Electric Vehicle Association which has a wide program of lobbying, events and media to promote EV's.

> TOCA is for the first time working on making an impact through XXXXXXXX (sorry this has been censored - you will have to wait!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark E and Chuq