Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TOD electric rate with Xcel in MN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went from the standard residential rate with Xcel Energy in Minnesota to one with a Time Of Day rider. When I made the switch, I was told that I would lose my Saver Switch discount on the air conditioning. I've since read the rate book on file and it does not mention any compatibility terms for the residential switch like there are for the commercial discount. I just brought this up with Xcel and am waiting for an answer. Does anyone else have experience with this? Thanks.

Reactions: Ohelig
This sounds pretty typical. Saver's Switch and other programs like that are meant to discourage use of big power draws like AC and electric water heating during peak hours. Since you're on a TOD rate, you're already discouraged from using those by your peak hours kWh charge. I'm on Connexus and they have a similar clause about not allowing TOD users on their load shaping programs.

Thanks for the feedback. Your reasoning is what the utility reps also gave me. I countered with that AC loads occur largely during Xcel's peak hours of 9am to 9pm, so the AC load control would still be beneficial on a TOD rate. On the commercial side, they allow the controls in conjunction with TOD rates but the incentive is $5 per ton per summer month. On the residential side, it's a 15% discount off of your summer bill. Since I'm paying twice as much to run my AC during the day as before, maybe they are thinking it's too costly to control. None the less, Xcel is telling their customers they can't have the AC switch on a TOD rate but reading the rate book, which is the legal document, I don't see any mention of an exclusion.

This sounds pretty typical. Saver's Switch and other programs like that are meant to discourage use of big power draws like AC and electric water heating during peak hours. Since you're on a TOD rate, you're already discouraged from using those by your peak hours kWh charge. I'm on Connexus and they have a similar clause about not allowing TOD users on their load shaping programs.
Or put another way, if you pay enough the utility is not going to discourage you from consuming. The argument put forth by the utility that the infrastructure is over-loaded is mostly a red herring; it is much more about money