Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today I drove an ICE !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
My aunt dislocated her shoulder tripping on a doorstep.
I had to collect her and take her to A & E and then recover her car and take it home for her.
It is a diesel Citroen hatchback 5 speed manual. It was awful…

I haven’t owned a manual car since 2002 and had hybrid and electric cars since 2014. I drove my wife’s manual Peugeot occasionally until 2017

So much to remember! key in the ignition to start. Use a clutch and gear lever and a handbrake. Remember to brake to slow down. Brake to hold on a hill start.

No going back that’s for sure…

Not sure what the complaint is here. I'd avoid a Citroën on principle anyway. Gears and hill start issues on a modern automatic ICE and a fob/start button get around another 'complaint'. I'll bet you didn't need to pre-plan recharge stops...
I find it quite nostalgic to drive a manual now and again, although I went auto gearbox for my main cars back around mid-80's. I enjoy getting my aged 200sx out and going for a run - no nagging beeps, screens, good view if;n one turns round to see when reversing, although filling it up with E5 at Tesco at £202p/L is a definite downside. Manual wipers and lights are a subconscious thing.
Yeah, for longer journeys my S is way smoother, built in satnav and faster acceleration and overall a more modern car - the obvious difference between on 29 years old and one that’s less than 4yr.
If going somewhere like Henley Regatta and staying in some accommodation a few miles out of town, driving in every day and parking up if there are no handy destination chargers then ICE is currently the better choice until things change. Apples and oranges.

My aunt dislocated her shoulder tripping on a doorstep.
I had to collect her and take her to A & E and then recover her car and take it home for her.
It is a diesel Citroen hatchback 5 speed manual. It was awful…

I haven’t owned a manual car since 2002 and had hybrid and electric cars since 2014. I drove my wife’s manual Peugeot occasionally until 2017

So much to remember! key in the ignition to start. Use a clutch and gear lever and a handbrake. Remember to brake to slow down. Brake to hold on a hill start.

No going back that’s for sure…

You have my deepest sympathy, both having to witness an A&E department nowadays and the ICE car.

Reactions: M1tch
Its like watching a movie on DVD
I think the analogy given was more like watching a video on VHS rather than streamed to a 4k TV.

Drive train aside our ICE is better than our Tesla but the Tesla still does 95% of our journeys. Horses for courses and all that.

Hope the recovery goes well, if she's over 70 she's done well not to break the humerus which would be a bigger problem.

My Wife has a diesel automatic and the only thing I like about it is that it is faster than my Zoe. Once we get the model Y, my wife will have the Zoe, her car will go and I won't miss it. Having said that, I would like a fun petrol car for the weekend.

I drove my wifes Fiesta for the first time in 12 months a few weeks ago - I was convinced their was a fault - As i came to junctions the car felt like the accelerator was sticking and I wondered why my wife hadn't said anything, I genuinely thought the return spring had broken on the pedal and stopped the car, into neutral and gave the pedal a few flicks - revs went up and down fine, off i went again. At the third junction I realised the only issue was - no regen braking. In every other respect everything about driving an ICE was completely fluent. However, when i parked up at the local shops I did just walk away - left the car unlocked.
I really love my M3P but as time goes by I'm disliking Tesla - but that's another story.

Reactions: DeejUK and up_north