Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today I learned "rattles" are not covered under warranty (Estimate attached)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well they said in that invoice that if it was deemed a warranty issue they would zero out the charge. Missing a clip (without it looking like road damage caused it) would certainly fall under warranty issue (defect in craftsmanship). If Tesla deemed these seat belt adjusters were not manufactured correctly then they could issue a service bulletin and this would always be considered warranty work.

Thé existence of a service bulletin did not save me from having to pay for replacement of mid aeroshield cover, the front one got replaced preventively for free according to the same service bulletin though. Could not get a rational explanation from them though. Like, we fix the known issue for free if you don't experience it, but you pay if you do...?
I'm accumulating hints that guide me to not expect consistency in the way Tesla responds to different customers bringing in the same issue. Pretty much case by case, even if there seem to be a policy in place or you're being told there is.

• Informative
Reactions: jerseygirl18
I’d probably go back in and talk with a service manager or location manager.. within that many miles and less than 1 year nearly ANYTHING should be covered.

I had a rattle, creaking sound in the back left strut area. Had been there since day one, (or close to it) but I never had the chance to take the car in. When I took it in, it was clearly a not normal sound and they ended up replacing both struts both sides. This was 18 months after purchase and 7500 miles.

I took my 3 week old Model 3 (1200 miles) to the Alpharetta, GA service center today for a rattle in the driver's side door. They fixed it for free. I was not given an invoice ahead of time - just one after service was complete with a total owed of $0. The process was easy - the service tech took a short test drive with me -- identified and then fixed the rattle -- then did another test drive with me to validate. I was in and out in under an hour. Great service

• Informative
Reactions: Petrocelli
They waived the related charges last time I took mine in, but I doubt I could get the same treatment again because they also mentioned the official policy of not covering rattles under warranty. I think they're focused on fixing rattles found soon after initial delivery but anything months down the line is probably up to the service center to decide, probably.

• Informative
Reactions: Petrocelli
I took my 3 week old Model 3 (1200 miles) to the Alpharetta, GA service center today for a rattle in the driver's side door. They fixed it for free. I was not given an invoice ahead of time - just one after service was complete with a total owed of $0. The process was easy - the service tech took a short test drive with me -- identified and then fixed the rattle -- then did another test drive with me to validate. I was in and out in under an hour. Great service

Did you happen to ask what the fix was? If there is a new part that is designed slightly different, or if they just apply some felt or something to the old part? Or do they just swap like for like and 50 miles later the “new” part could start to rattle?

Did you happen to ask what the fix was? If there is a new part that is designed slightly different, or if they just apply some felt or something to the old part? Or do they just swap like for like and 50 miles later the “new” part could start to rattle?

My particular rattle would only happen at about 50 mph or greater. The service tech told me he's seen this before where wind resistance on the front fender would cause the rattle. He was able to push on the fender inside of the wheel well and reproduce the noise.

The fix as described on my invoice stated: "Technician insulated driver front fender liner from fender." I believe he mentioned using foam.

The rattle is gone but he told me to bring the car back in if it comes back.

Well, on the recommendation of someone here (name withheld cause it doesn't matter as they were only trying to help) I decided to call and get the seat belt rattle serviced. Appointment is for tomorrow and I received this work order moments ago.

LMFAO.....Needless to say, I didn't sign it and cancelled the appointment. I'll figure something out myself.

Just a little disappointing and surprised something as simple as this wouldn't be covered on a vehicle with 2,000 miles on it.

:)o_O
I've never seen this locally here in Houston. Even last time at 35,000 miles in they were up for fixing noise, although that was part of another visit. They've even sent out a Ranger once just for noise. And one time I had the vehicle in for a different reason and mentioned a noise, they took it out to fix it and then and found an entirely different noise which they also fixed (on the rear passenger shock).

Rather, that's the experience I had with GM when I mentioned my driver's side lock was rattling and annoying me. Which pissed me off to no end, given how good Tesla has been.

Now I'm about to roll up on 1 year anniversary, so I don't have a lot of expectations now. Of course I'm about to leave 50K warranty, too, so it'll be a small window where that matters.

Based on conversation with Service manager a while ago, rattles are covered for the first year (1 year from purchase date). Many manufacturers recently changed their policy on rattles to 1 year only. Rattles are not covered under bumper to bumper typical 3-4-5 year warranty. As far as I know premium brands like BMW, Lexus etc, they do cover rattles for 4 years..
Have some examples of those "many manufacturers"? For Nissans (well, my 3 year/36K warranty ran out in mid-2016), rattles, buzzes and squeaks were definitely covered under the 3 year/36K. Ditto for Toyotas, but the basic warranty on my former Toyota ran out in 2009.

I have also have a '19 Chevy Bolt now and haven't had to take advantage, yet. I've searched for terms and skimmed thru their warranty booklet and haven't seen any sort of reference to either exclusion or shorter warranty coverage (e.g. 1 year) for rattles, squeaks and buzzes.

FWIW, extended warranties/service contracts from Nissan for sure will NOT cover any interior squeaks, rattles or buzzes.

Last edited:
So the warranty isn’t bumper to bumper?

Every other new car I've ever owned, even a $19,000 PT Cruiser, had a bumper to bumper warranty that covered pretty much anything for the first 3-4 years. Are you saying that’s not the case with Tesla?

So the warranty isn’t bumper to bumper?

Every other new car I've ever owned, even a $19,000 PT Cruiser, had a bumper to bumper warranty that covered pretty much anything for the first 3-4 years. Are you saying that’s not the case with Tesla?
As I mentioned earlier I got the run-around on this from the last, and I mean in multiple ways, Chevy dealer I bought a new vehicle from. "Rattles aren't covered under warranty", word for word. Which is all kinds of BS but you'll run into this claim and have to fight it.

I'd heard about people getting the "1 year" hassle from Tesla. Never a flat out "not covered ever" although as was suggested earlier it might have been a CYA about the customer imagining a noise and if a real product related noise was found they wouldn't get charged.

i think you are making a case for ...each SC is different..that is life, i guess