Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today is nine months I have been waiting for my Tesla X to be repaired. What should I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On July 30, 2020, I leased a Tesla Model X vehicle from Tesla Beverly Hills. I also obtained insurance coverage from Tesla Insurance. I have been happy with the car, the autopilot, and the white gloves service in case of repair. I had shared with my community of Italian/expatriates friends in California my experience with Tesla until June 2022, when the nightmare started. On June 4, 2022 (more than nine months ago), the car was involved in an accident in Los Angeles.
At no fault on my part, while I was stopped at a traffic light, two vehicles in a nearby intersection were involved in a collision, and one of them ran out of control and hit my car. After the accident, the car was removed at the request of the police and towed to a nearby body repair shop called Lee's Collisions Centers.
I immediately called Tesla Insurance and obtained Tesla Insurance's consent to have the repairs performed at the shop. This was later reaffirmed in subsequent correspondence. On August 10 (almost two months later), Tesla Insurance called me, saying that the repair quote issued by the body shop ($35,000) was also approved and that it took longer than expected since the files were lost and had been outsourced.

After that, the car remained in the shop for several months. I continued to pay Tesla the monthly lease of $1,335.63, and I periodically inquired about the status of the repairs. The body shop informed me that the repairs were taking longer than expected due to a lack of parts from Tesla. Finally, only on December 5, 2022, when I went to the local Tesla dealer, they told me that the parts were not being provided because the car was considered salvaged due to the airbags being inflated in the accident.

The dealer suggested I terminate the lease immediately, but the Tesla app did not permit me. In January, I reached out to Tesla Lease and was told that the lease could only be terminated once the car was repaired. Then I reached the Tesla repair center to understand what was going on, and they could not provide an explanation, but they wrote (Tj Hobby) that they considered their work finished and "…We consider this a matter between you and Lee's Collision…"
Long story short nine months later:
  1. The car is still in repair,
  2. but the repair center approved by Tesla Insurance can't finish the repair because Tesla Service Center is not providing missing parts and refuse to work with the repair approved by Tesla Insurance;
  3. Tesla Lease doesn't allow me to terminate the lease because the car is in repair,
  4. and Tesla Insurance is not providing me any compensation for an alternative car or rental.
No one is responsible for finding a solution; no one ever at least apologized. All this experience cost more than 40,000$ and counting, and a lot of stress and frustration.
What do you suggest?
Best regards, Raffaele Giovine

This seems like one of those things you wouldn’t think would ever happen. I would suggest escalating with Tesla to get the car repaired or terminate lease (which I am positive you did already as stated above) but knowing their customer service it hasn’t got you anywhere. I do not have their insurance but I would assume that you can include rental in your coverage and I would ask them to reimburse you from when the car got in the shop. If insurance does not claim the car to be a total loss then it still should have a clear title. So I would speak to insurance about the car being repaired since Tesla or the repair shop should be able to source parts for you. That’s what I would do but you are in for a ride especially with their customer service. GL

Also if insurance did claim it as totaled they should be paying out for the car which they are not since the car is not totaled. Think you have to try strong arming them that this point. Let’s see if another TMC member can have more insight on this.

Yup, one of the potential issues with a lease. If you had arranged the lease with a bank or leasing company, for example, you'd have the same issue: car is in the shop for repair and you have to keep making monthly payments.

since you are in California, you were right to call your carrier (Tesla Insurance) and let them handle the claim and then to go after the other party for reimbursement.

A Tesla "dealer" does not exist. (You probably mean a Tesla service center?). Regardless, they have no input on whether a car is totaled -- that is solely up to the insurance carrier. It's a common misconception that once air bags deploy, a car is automatically totaled. Not true.

Do you not have rental reimbursement rider to your auto policy? (For those reading, highly recommended for EV's since parts are hard to come by and repairs take a long time.). If you don't have rental reimbursement, will Tesla Insurance get the other party to fund it? They should help you to do this.

Can you have to car towed to a Tesla collision repair center? There is one in Santa Monica. Don't know that they'd be faster, but they might have some more pull to get parts.

Good luck.

Reactions: richyrich
On July 30, 2020, I leased a Tesla Model X vehicle from Tesla Beverly Hills. I also obtained insurance coverage from Tesla Insurance. I have been happy with the car, the autopilot, and the white gloves service in case of repair. I had shared with my community of Italian/expatriates friends in California my experience with Tesla until June 2022, when the nightmare started. On June 4, 2022 (more than nine months ago), the car was involved in an accident in Los Angeles.
At no fault on my part, while I was stopped at a traffic light, two vehicles in a nearby intersection were involved in a collision, and one of them ran out of control and hit my car. After the accident, the car was removed at the request of the police and towed to a nearby body repair shop called Lee's Collisions Centers.
I immediately called Tesla Insurance and obtained Tesla Insurance's consent to have the repairs performed at the shop. This was later reaffirmed in subsequent correspondence. On August 10 (almost two months later), Tesla Insurance called me, saying that the repair quote issued by the body shop ($35,000) was also approved and that it took longer than expected since the files were lost and had been outsourced.

After that, the car remained in the shop for several months. I continued to pay Tesla the monthly lease of $1,335.63, and I periodically inquired about the status of the repairs. The body shop informed me that the repairs were taking longer than expected due to a lack of parts from Tesla. Finally, only on December 5, 2022, when I went to the local Tesla dealer, they told me that the parts were not being provided because the car was considered salvaged due to the airbags being inflated in the accident.

The dealer suggested I terminate the lease immediately, but the Tesla app did not permit me. In January, I reached out to Tesla Lease and was told that the lease could only be terminated once the car was repaired. Then I reached the Tesla repair center to understand what was going on, and they could not provide an explanation, but they wrote (Tj Hobby) that they considered their work finished and "…We consider this a matter between you and Lee's Collision…"
  2. but the repair center approved by Tesla Insurance can't finish the repair because Tesla Service Center is not providing missing parts and refuse to work with the repair approved by Tesla Insurance;
  3. Tesla Lease doesn't allow me to terminate the lease because the car is in repair,
  4. and Tesla Insurance is not providing me any compensation for an alternative car or rental.
No one is responsible for finding a solution; no one ever at least apologized. All this experience cost more than 40,000$ and counting, and a lot of stress and frustration.
What do you suggest?
Sounds like it’s long past time to get an attorney involved- someone specializing in insurance matters…

Sounds like it’s long past time to get an attorney involved- someone specializing in insurance matters…
Thank you I agree. after I reached the CFO, they moved my case to a higher level of customer support 2/3 weeks ago, finally, they provided the missing part to the collision center, but new issues emerged, and the car is still in repair with no ETA. Now they offered one month lease refund (wow!!!). DO you have any suggestions for a lawyer? Thank you

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
Thank you I agree. after I reached the CFO, they moved my case to a higher level of customer support 2/3 weeks ago, finally, they provided the missing part to the collision center, but new issues emerged, and the car is still in repair with no ETA. Now they offered one month lease refund (wow!!!). DO you have any suggestions for a lawyer? Thank you
Congrats on escalating the matter to the CFO. I don’t have any recommendations for a specific attorney or law firm, but generally probably one who is versed in Lemon law and/or Insurance claims. Definately one that can “prod” or cajole the actors involved to stop stonewalling and start resolving your situation…

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
The moral of this story is to avoid going any non-Tesla owned repair facility. Especially true if you have Tesla Insurance. ALWAYS insist to have the closest Tesla Owned collision shop perform any repairs. There are some decent third party (tesla approved) repair shops out there however those seem to be few and far between. Many third party shops get sold or have personnel changes and often lose their tesla approval. For me it’s either a Tesla owned collision repair center or nothing.

Reactions: richyrich

What do you suggest?
Move on from that headache and soak the other driver’s insurance for the lease payments and diminished value. Consider getting a Rivian to replace the X.

Reactions: AW9nineteen
A Tesla "dealer" does not exist. (You probably mean a Tesla service center?). Regardless, they have no input on whether a car is totaled -- that is solely up to the insurance carrier. It's a common misconception that once air bags deploy, a car is automatically totaled. Not true.

It may not be true but Allstate told me they were totaling a 6 month old car with 1k miles and $65k because the air bags deployed. I questioned this because there wasn’t that much damage actually. They said when it comes to Tesla that f the air bags deploy they just total it.

Main reason was that they learned all to often that additional coats kept building.

They also wanted to make me while in 30 days or less and they were well aware of parts delays and backlogs at qualified shops.

I had a check above purchase price in 2
35 days.

op is overthinking it. 9 months? what is this? are you expecting your tesla to give you baby teslas? lol.. you are a better person than me for sure.

forget about the car and the repair shop. if the shop gives you hard time include them in the last action item on the list below
beat whoever you have to get a document stating vehicle was totaled with the official total date on it.
send document to whoever holds your lease
stop making payments and request a check for the months between when vehicle was totaled on paper and now
if met with any resistance in any of the steps above - hire an atty and let him/ her handle it. to cover legal fees sue for missed use of vehicle, financial hardship and wrong phase of the moon or whichever way you think you got hurt financially.

it is a mess, but you will prevail.

my 2 cents

op is overthinking it. 9 months? what is this? are you expecting your tesla to give you baby teslas? lol.. you are a better person than me for sure.

forget about the car and the repair shop. if the shop gives you hard time include them in the last action item on the list below
beat whoever you have to get a document stating vehicle was totaled with the official total date on it.
send document to whoever holds your lease
stop making payments and request a check for the months between when vehicle was totaled on paper and now
if met with any resistance in any of the steps above - hire an atty and let him/ her handle it. to cover legal fees sue for missed use of vehicle, financial hardship and wrong phase of the moon or whichever way you think you got hurt financially.

it is a mess, but you will prevail.

my 2 cents
This and only this

Move on from that headache and soak the other driver’s insurance for the lease payments and diminished value. Consider getting a Rivian to replace the X.
Rivian is nice until you need it serviced unless for some miracle you have one nearby and Rivian is having their fair share issues as well. But boy, would I be just as upset about waiting 9mo and more but getting burned on lease payments would be a tough pill to swallow if the hold on parts is from the manufacturer I’m leasing from. Time for a lawyer but first have the lawyer write something up and sent it to Tesla. Sometimes this all you need to get the ball rolling really fast.

Last edited: