Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today is the shortest day of the year... how was your production?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When did the fog roll out? That is low for such a system, or compared to what I generated with a small system.
Fog left by 9AM or so. I think much of the issue is a massive tree that shades the roof. Tesla estimates 10,000 kWh for the system and we gene over 90 kWh during June when the tree is not between the sun and the house.

Here are some pictures. One from our 2nd story bedroom looking at the tree at 1130 AM. The active tiles on the 7 feet above my point of view. And the second from the hill the tree is on looking toward the house. Tree is uphill and about 20 feet behind where I took the second picture

tree.jpg
tree-shadows.jpg

Reactions: charlesj
I'm trying to understand my production (new system just installed and got PTO). My numbers seem no where near what others with similar charts as mine (16.32KW system). We had a little cloud cover until 10am and then mostly sunny with a few high clouds later in the day. I looked and from 10:05am - 1:10pm I was producing over 5KW at all times with it reaching as high as 9KW but mostly staying in the 7's to 8's. By 1pm it said I generated a total of 12.2KWH which seems low since for 3 hours I never went below 5. Total for the day 15.3KWH.

Right now is pretty much the worst time of the year for solar. Monday was the winter solstice, which is the day with the least amount of daylight, and being winter the sun is very low in the sky. During this time of year panel orientation, angle, and geographic location will make a much bigger impact in solar production than they will in the summer. The farther north you are the worse your production will be. It looks like you’re in NY, so if you’re comparing to people like me, in Florida, or others in Arizona or Southern California then that could explain why you are seeing lower production numbers. Additionally, if you have a lot of panels facing north or west they will be performing particularly badly this time of year. You should expect to see much better production numbers in the summer when the days are longer and the sun is higher in the sky.

Right now is pretty much the worst time of the year for solar. Monday was the winter solstice, which is the day with the least amount of daylight, and being winter the sun is very low in the sky. During this time of year panel orientation, angle, and geographic location will make a much bigger impact in solar production than they will in the summer. The farther north you are the worse your production will be. It looks like you’re in NY, so if you’re comparing to people like me, in Florida, or others in Arizona or Southern California then that could explain why you are seeing lower production numbers. Additionally, if you have a lot of panels facing north or west they will be performing particularly badly this time of year. You should expect to see much better production numbers in the summer when the days are longer and the sun is higher in the sky.
Oh trust me- I'm jealous of all of the Cali/AZ posts on here of limitless sun! My issue is different though, I know I won't come close to their production. But if my system is producing between 5KW and 8.5KW straight for 3 hours how can I only have an aggregate production of 12KWH. If you produce 5KW for 3 hours shouldn't the agg be 15KWH?

Oh trust me- I'm jealous of all of the Cali/AZ posts on here of limitless sun! My issue is different though, I know I won't come close to their production. But if my system is producing between 5KW and 8.5KW straight for 3 hours how can I only have an aggregate production of 12KWH. If you produce 5KW for 3 hours shouldn't the agg be 15KWH?
I see what you are saying, and that does seem odd. There are some bugs with the app - was that data you were looking at for 3 days ago, and did it change between yesterday and today? I only ask because I (and at least one other person confirmed it) have a weird bug where the total solar production numbers for 3 days ago are always wrong (low) in the morning but increase throughout the day. Specifically, I posted up that my production for 12/20 was 8.7 kWh. However, checking the app right now, it lists 6.3 kWh for the day. By the evening, it will be back up to 8.7 kWh.

The other thing to do is check again on a fully sunny day - it may be possible on a cloudy day that the graph is not representing all the fluctuations very well.

I see what you are saying, and that does seem odd. There are some bugs with the app - was that data you were looking at for 3 days ago, and did it change between yesterday and today? I only ask because I (and at least one other person confirmed it) have a weird bug where the total solar production numbers for 3 days ago are always wrong (low) in the morning but increase throughout the day. Specifically, I posted up that my production for 12/20 was 8.7 kWh. However, checking the app right now, it lists 6.3 kWh for the day. By the evening, it will be back up to 8.7 kWh.

The other thing to do is check again on a fully sunny day - it may be possible on a cloudy day that the graph is not representing all the fluctuations very well.
Thanks for the reply. Yesterday was our first full day of production so I am really in the early learning phase. We received our PTO on the 16th and had a major storm come in that night and my panels were covered in snow until 12pm on Monday (21st). Today is full sun so far and I'm already at 50% of yesterdays production as of 11am. Maybe things have to settle in.

@Laketime - I'm north of you in NH with a 17.5kW PV and 14.4kW inverters. I have 3 poles that come into light (due to trees shading in winter) at 10:30a, 11:15a, and Noon. Thus far today, it's been mostly sunny, and as of 1:30p ~32kWh have been generated. I'm able to manually set the panels angle which makes a big difference. Depending on your angling and orientation you could just be seeing declined winter production. If you are roof-mounted, try entering your #s at PVWatts Calculator.

solar.png

@Laketime - I'm north of you in NH with a 17.5kW PV and 14.4kW inverters. I have 3 poles that come into light (due to trees shading in winter) at 10:30a, 11:15a, and Noon. Thus far today, it's been mostly sunny, and as of 1:30p ~32kWh have been generated. I'm able to manually set the panels angle which makes a big difference. Depending on your angling and orientation you could just be seeing declined winter production. If you are roof-mounted, try entering your #s at PVWatts Calculator.

View attachment 620494
I'm no where near your production but my issue is my aggregate KWH is not coinciding with my hourly KH production. We have had mostly sun all day with some trace high level clouds and I'm at 16.1KWH as of 2:10pm. I cannot change the orientation which would make a big difference in production.

Others have seen that before, it seems to be something misconfigured on Tesla's side. I think you'll have to call support and have them straighten it out, seems like sometimes there's an extra divide-by-2 on the total power figure for some reason, or something like that.

Just north of Seattle (47°48'N), I looked at the closest clear days to the solstices.
Jun 18, 2020 yielded 65.8 KWh with a peak of 7740 Watts on a 9 KW system.
Dec 22, 2020 yielded 17.2 KWh with a peak of 3880 Watts

That's 25% daily production with peak of almost exactly half.

Due to clipping, my system reaches that peak from Apr through Aug.

Just north of Seattle (47°48'N), I looked at the closest clear days to the solstices.

This is why I want to upgrade my system with oversized inverters so I never have clipping.

Yep, you are 11 degrees north of me. How long was daylight on the 21st? Mine was 9h: 40min.
Curious how daylight changes in that 11 degrees. In Alaska it is very short. ;) Good thing we are not there. :D

I think that may be a mistake though. If you increase system though larger inverters, your power company may not like it. Clipping gives you more energy production over time than if you didn't have clipping with those inverters.
You may need a new permit all around.
My current setup clipped at times in summer. The spec I believe is 133%, so my 47 panels just make this.

My clipping was very slight, and only a few times. But, since doing the changes, I decided to make them both oversized in case
in the future someone wants to put in more panels. At least the inverters are set.

And yep, all changes done by permits.