Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today is the shortest day of the year... how was your production?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Monday wasn't a great solar Day only producing 5.33kWh. Our Dec production is about a 1/6 of what production is in May. This winter is my first full year with solar, I had a large amount of net metering credit in the bank thus we are attempting to heat the house pumps to prevent expiring our credits. Colder days <10F the heat pumps have a hard time keeping up.

28 of our panels were covered in snow Monday proving zero production.
Screenshot from 2020-12-24 22-02-19.png

I just turned on our system this morning at 8am. How is it that we only generated 5.6 kWh from 9.18kw system.? Seems so low compared to everyone else’s in SoCal as I’m reviewing this thread.
Interesting. What was your weather yesterday? I looked at mine and produced 8.5 kWh weather not so good or it would have been 16kWh if nice and sunny all day. :)
My system is only 3.8kW and almost 9ys old. You must have had pee poor weather with that size and production. Weather is everything in production. It could have been below 1 kWh.

You should on good days. I see on your curve a possibility of shading in the afternoon creeping about 3PM?
Do I also see a small clipping at the peak or just image? Too early for clipping around 2.6kW.
I guess I have shading on the south facing panels which are on the lower level roof. Not sure! How do I recognize clipping and what is that? Sorry, I'm a newbie. Thx!

I guess I have shading on the south facing panels which are on the lower level roof. Not sure! How do I recognize clipping and what is that? Sorry, I'm a newbie. Thx!
Clipping happens when your panels are producing more power, much more, that then inverter can handle. Then that bell curve will have a flat top on it. This is good in that you generate more power before and after peak times than when it is not clipping. Also, you will generate more power earlier in the sun arc. That A and C area is where you generate more energy with a much higher power capable panels than inverter can produce.
But, your posted image peaked about 2.6 kW which is well below inverter capacity so it is most likely just image discrepancy.

Hope this helps.

Clipping.png

Thanks. I can't seem to edit/remove the pics. I thought i was careful not to capture anything personal. Maybe a moderator can help me?
The address was removed from the system layout. If you see something else that should be removed, just click on the Report option for your post and indicate what needs to be fixed.