Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today was our T-DAY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D83926BB-1155-4130-A252-08DB31651CD1.jpeg
T is for Tesla and the eagle has landed...

Picked up our M3 SR+ today from West Drayton earlier in the afternoon. Everything went quite smoothly. Spent close to 2 hours in the service centre (10 mins early, 20 mins group video presentation on overview of car features and Q&A, 15 mins waiting around, 30 mins with Tesla staff pairing phones/showing us around cars and how to use, 20 mins or so faffing around and checking the car over before we drove off). Altogether quite a relaxed experience although there were continuously groups of people coming in to collect cars. Tesla staff said they’re handing over a 100 cars a day at the moment. Our car was unloaded from the delivery truck yesterday night and made ready for collection in the early afternoon.

Had a reasonably good look around car and only noticed a couple potential spots on door/sill edges that may need attention. There were other marks on the body work that looked like light scratches but they all appear to be glue/residue marks from the film wrapping they used when the car was in transit. Will do a more thorough check tomorrow morning.

We got confirmation from Tesla that any paint/bodywork defect must be reported (using the app) within 200 miles. The reason being that once the car has been driven for many miles it would be difficult to determine where damage may have occurred - seems to be a fair enough point.

Our car was almost fully charged (showing 213 miles) but forgot to check the odometer at the point of handover. We got the two cables plus aero covers.

Initial driving experience was great - smooth, great acceleration. Got used to the regenerative braking quite quickly. Very quiet at low speeds. At higher speeds the noise was more noticeable, perhaps more so than a new high-end luxury ICE. It rained a bit on the way back and the windscreen and wipers did require more attention then I expected to do the job. Drove a little in the night. The steering area is very very dark. Takes some getting used to especially as it it is typically lit up with all the instrumentation in normal cars. I know there is no instrumentation in this area but perhaps some low level convenience/courtesy lighting on the indicators and mode selection stick would be very nice and cool.

I couldn’t test out too much in terms of the performance and auto pilot as my wife was in the passenger seat on the drive back and prevented me from using the screen too much to prevent finger print marks!

It takes a lot for me to rate anything 10/10 or call something brilliant or amazing. After my first few hours with the Tesla Model 3 I’d say it is great car, some brilliant tech and lots of clever features but a shame the car does not come with a set of car mats and the boot does not have power assisted tailgate! Time will tell if the car can continue to exceed my expectations in terms of reliability and total cost of ownership.

For me the wait has been worth it (4 months, not a reservation holder). Tesla communications has been diabolical during the wait period and really it’s not the way a company should be treating its customers parting with large sums of money, no matter how busy or unprepared they are due to dealing with a big backlog. However we’re very happy with the car so far and feel privileged that we are in the fortunate position to own a brand new one.

Hope all those still waiting get your car soon!

A lot of people seem to be picking up from West Drayton. I wonder if where you collect from has any bearing on how quickly you can get the car? You don’t here of many being collected from Leeds for example.

Hi, congratulations on the model 3. I picked mine up a few weeks back.

One thing I'd recommend checking is the brake fluid level. Mine complained a few times about low fluid and then the warning went away so I though it was just one of those things. Anyway it happened to my wife and she was concerned so I checked and the reservoir appeared to be dry. I contact Tesla service and had them send out an engineer who confirmed he had been to a few so its not just a one off.

The thing being with energy regen set to standard you really don't need the brakes until you really need them!

Hope you are enjoying the car.

Gary

View attachment 451533 T is for Tesla and the eagle has landed...

Picked up our M3 SR+ today from West Drayton earlier in the afternoon. Everything went quite smoothly. Spent close to 2 hours in the service centre (10 mins early, 20 mins group video presentation on overview of car features and Q&A, 15 mins waiting around, 30 mins with Tesla staff pairing phones/showing us around cars and how to use, 20 mins or so faffing around and checking the car over before we drove off). Altogether quite a relaxed experience although there were continuously groups of people coming in to collect cars. Tesla staff said they’re handing over a 100 cars a day at the moment. Our car was unloaded from the delivery truck yesterday night and made ready for collection in the early afternoon.

Had a reasonably good look around car and only noticed a couple potential spots on door/sill edges that may need attention. There were other marks on the body work that looked like light scratches but they all appear to be glue/residue marks from the film wrapping they used when the car was in transit. Will do a more thorough check tomorrow morning.

We got confirmation from Tesla that any paint/bodywork defect must be reported (using the app) within 200 miles. The reason being that once the car has been driven for many miles it would be difficult to determine where damage may have occurred - seems to be a fair enough point.

Our car was almost fully charged (showing 213 miles) but forgot to check the odometer at the point of handover. We got the two cables plus aero covers.

Initial driving experience was great - smooth, great acceleration. Got used to the regenerative braking quite quickly. Very quiet at low speeds. At higher speeds the noise was more noticeable, perhaps more so than a new high-end luxury ICE. It rained a bit on the way back and the windscreen and wipers did require more attention then I expected to do the job. Drove a little in the night. The steering area is very very dark. Takes some getting used to especially as it it is typically lit up with all the instrumentation in normal cars. I know there is no instrumentation in this area but perhaps some low level convenience/courtesy lighting on the indicators and mode selection stick would be very nice and cool.

I couldn’t test out too much in terms of the performance and auto pilot as my wife was in the passenger seat on the drive back and prevented me from using the screen too much to prevent finger print marks!

It takes a lot for me to rate anything 10/10 or call something brilliant or amazing. After my first few hours with the Tesla Model 3 I’d say it is great car, some brilliant tech and lots of clever features but a shame the car does not come with a set of car mats and the boot does not have power assisted tailgate! Time will tell if the car can continue to exceed my expectations in terms of reliability and total cost of ownership.

For me the wait has been worth it (4 months, not a reservation holder). Tesla communications has been diabolical during the wait period and really it’s not the way a company should be treating its customers parting with large sums of money, no matter how busy or unprepared they are due to dealing with a big backlog. However we’re very happy with the car so far and feel privileged that we are in the fortunate position to own a brand new one.

Hope all those still waiting get your car soon!
My condolences... it took me 2 months, but soon realized that the hype is not what it is cracked up to be. Should have waited for other makers to introduce competing cars in 2020/21. You will start to understand what I mean when s/w (esp AP) doesn't live up to expectations. Tesla makes for a very expensive device to play games on (introducing news games seems to be higher priority that fixing s/w bugs). Buy hey, enjoy the moment and lets see how long it take for you to shake the confirmation bias... ;-)

My condolences... it took me 2 months, but soon realized that the hype is not what it is cracked up to be. Should have waited for other makers to introduce competing cars in 2020/21. You will start to understand what I mean when s/w (esp AP) doesn't live up to expectations. Tesla makes for a very expensive device to play games on (introducing news games seems to be higher priority that fixing s/w bugs). Buy hey, enjoy the moment and lets see how long it take for you to shake the confirmation bias... ;-)

Hm. Almost 3 years in and I have yet to feel like you do about my Model S. Everything else I get in now just seems outdated. And I have been in the etron and ipace. Yes, the etron is better built but the complete package was certainly lacking.

Reactions: MountainRatMat
Or, maybe everyone doesn't have the same experience as you?

I'm just coming up to a month, and every time I park in the driveway I just want to go back out again. I love this car.

I thought Tesla's autopilot ('enabling the car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically within its lane') was supposed to be one of the best around.

I've not driven a huge amount yet but have done some motorway miles on the way back from West Drayton and some miles on a few local dual carriage ways. The adaptive cruise control works fine but I'm struggling to see auto-steer working well. The few times I've tried auto-steer the car was going too close to the lines for comfort and I had to manually steer. I'm thinking somethings not quite right here. I'm assuming auto-steer should work really well and stay quite nicely in the middle of the lane and not stray too close to the lines.

Does it matter if the lane marking is dashed or solid?