Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today was our T-DAY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or, maybe everyone doesn't have the same experience as you?

I'm just coming up to a month, and every time I park in the driveway I just want to go back out again. I love this car.

Marc Roberts, I agree 100% with you. To me this quote from an owner in 2013 says it best and has never been surpassed.

Velo1 | 12. April 2013

My wife also commented that I am most eager to run errands for her. Just last week she said we need bread and milk for tomorrow. I volunteered to go to the store. I returned with the milk, and then went back to buy the bread. what fun!

• Funny
Reactions: TestPilot
View attachment 451533 T is for Tesla and the eagle has landed...

Picked up our M3 SR+ today from West Drayton earlier in the afternoon. Everything went quite smoothly. Spent close to 2 hours in the service centre (10 mins early, 20 mins group video presentation on overview of car features and Q&A, 15 mins waiting around, 30 mins with Tesla staff pairing phones/showing us around cars and how to use, 20 mins or so faffing around and checking the car over before we drove off). Altogether quite a relaxed experience although there were continuously groups of people coming in to collect cars. Tesla staff said they’re handing over a 100 cars a day at the moment. Our car was unloaded from the delivery truck yesterday night and made ready for collection in the early afternoon.

Had a reasonably good look around car and only noticed a couple potential spots on door/sill edges that may need attention. There were other marks on the body work that looked like light scratches but they all appear to be glue/residue marks from the film wrapping they used when the car was in transit. Will do a more thorough check tomorrow morning.

We got confirmation from Tesla that any paint/bodywork defect must be reported (using the app) within 200 miles. The reason being that once the car has been driven for many miles it would be difficult to determine where damage may have occurred - seems to be a fair enough point.

Our car was almost fully charged (showing 213 miles) but forgot to check the odometer at the point of handover. We got the two cables plus aero covers.

Initial driving experience was great - smooth, great acceleration. Got used to the regenerative braking quite quickly. Very quiet at low speeds. At higher speeds the noise was more noticeable, perhaps more so than a new high-end luxury ICE. It rained a bit on the way back and the windscreen and wipers did require more attention then I expected to do the job. Drove a little in the night. The steering area is very very dark. Takes some getting used to especially as it it is typically lit up with all the instrumentation in normal cars. I know there is no instrumentation in this area but perhaps some low level convenience/courtesy lighting on the indicators and mode selection stick would be very nice and cool.

I couldn’t test out too much in terms of the performance and auto pilot as my wife was in the passenger seat on the drive back and prevented me from using the screen too much to prevent finger print marks!

It takes a lot for me to rate anything 10/10 or call something brilliant or amazing. After my first few hours with the Tesla Model 3 I’d say it is great car, some brilliant tech and lots of clever features but a shame the car does not come with a set of car mats and the boot does not have power assisted tailgate! Time will tell if the car can continue to exceed my expectations in terms of reliability and total cost of ownership.

For me the wait has been worth it (4 months, not a reservation holder). Tesla communications has been diabolical during the wait period and really it’s not the way a company should be treating its customers parting with large sums of money, no matter how busy or unprepared they are due to dealing with a big backlog. However we’re very happy with the car so far and feel privileged that we are in the fortunate position to own a brand new one.

Hope all those still waiting get your car soon!

I've had mine for 6 months and I still feel exactly like you do. The best was one day I walk out of Home Depot and there's a 30 something girl standing by it with hands in "prayer position" and says "is this your car, I absolutely love it" I told her that driving it was much better than the looks!

Reactions: TestPilot
View attachment 451533 T is for Tesla and the eagle has landed...

After my first few hours with the Tesla Model 3 I’d say it is great car, some brilliant tech and lots of clever features but a shame the car does not come with a set of car mats and the boot does not have power assisted tailgate! Time will tell if the car can continue to exceed my expectations in terms of reliability and total cost of ownership.

In the US all my Teslas came with carpet interior mats. Sounds like a UK thing to have to buy the mats separately? Maybe the carpet vs all-weather choice?

Wait until you drive it for a while... and then every time you drive by a petrol station you realize how much time (and hopefully money) you are NOT spending there.

My condolences... it took me 2 months, but soon realized that the hype is not what it is cracked up to be. Should have waited for other makers to introduce competing cars in 2020/21. You will start to understand what I mean when s/w (esp AP) doesn't live up to expectations. Tesla makes for a very expensive device to play games on (introducing news games seems to be higher priority that fixing s/w bugs). Buy hey, enjoy the moment and lets see how long it take for you to shake the confirmation bias... ;-)

18 months in on a February 2018 delivered Model 3...yes! one of the dreaded "poor build quality" series...can't find any significant build issues including body panel gap problems. Car has been absolutely great. No service or maintenance required thus far, other than tire rotation. Very efficient and very low cost to operate. Improvements in features regularly through OTA software updates. Can't wait for those 2020 and 2021 Tesla Killers right? Wait, which ones are those again? There are still no cars on the road, or even any claimed to be available in 2020 or 2021 that can meet the efficiency, charging network, or almost any other spec you can name. The just-released Porsche Taycan Turbo S cannot meet the range or acceleration specs of the current high end Model S on the road, and that Model S is about 2/3 the cost. Porsche claim it can charge faster but, of course, there are few, if any, chargers that can charge at their claimed speed anywhere in the world as of today. Sure, it's a Porsche and is a great car, I am sure. Porsche lovers will buy it if they have the $185,000 to do so. Ever see the Detroit auto expert, Jack Munro, take apart a Model 3 and rave about its technological advantages over any competitors? Is it perfect, no. Name one car that is. Just facts as opposed to confirmation bias, right? :)

Regarding software bugs and AP, name another car now on the road or announced that even has over the air software updates to the same extent that a Tesla has today, and has had for many years. Jaguar I-Pace had to be called back into dealers for a software bug. AutoPilot is not perfect. We all know that. It is still the best system of driver assist on the road today, being useable almost anywhere. Sure, it has bugs, but, again, name one available car in the Model 3 price range that has anything remotely similar to its current AP capabilities, please. There are none.

"Just my opinion. I could be wrong."