Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today's Roadster Orphan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The AutoCheck history report indicates the owner is in Englewood, CO, but this seller states the vehicle is in Saginaw, MI. Additionally, the seller wants the buyer to contact him directly at his e-mail and states that any unapproved bids will be canceled (go to link quoted above, click on image of car and mouse over second image with text). This is a big red flag indicating that this is a scam.

See bullets 6 and 7: Car Sale Scams - How to spot a fraud.

Actually, I would say that this most definitely is a scam. The original eBay ad for $120k had many more pictures, lacked the direct e-mail/unapproved bidder message, and stated the location of the car being in Colorado. If a deal looks too good to be true, it usually is. I strongly advise the auction winner to back out.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: hsull8915
I agree that this was likely a scam. The listing details, including instructions to make contact offline, are contrary to eBay listing policy. I'm looking for a 2.5 sport so this looked promising, for a moment. That said, a 2.0 Sport may also work - I like the front end appearance of the 2.0 but like the interior of the 2.5.

I recently checked out a 2.0 Sport in SLC and I'm seriously considering. I met the owner, a very nice guy. The car looks great but has some minor items that need to be repaired (seat leather, chip on the windshield, and some paint scratches, most of which might be buffed out). I also need to work with the service center there to determine if they can do an inspection. The CAC is 149. The VIN is:
VIN:5YJRE1A38A1000853

Do any of you have experience getting seats reupholstered? If any of you have information on this car and recommendations, please PM me.

It was probably reported to eBay. The listing instruction to contact the seller offline is against eBay policy. There was also the discrepancy between the info in the listing and that in the vehicle report. Items purchased on eBay have the benefit of buyer protection (up to $100k in the case of vehicles).

That was 100% a scam... a 2.5 sport simply won't go for literally anywhere near that, combined with all the sketchiness surrounding the listing.

@DeedWest had an absolutely amazing reupholstery done to 523, check it out:
The Electric Blue Upgrade Thread
Thanks for sharing. Indeed, that was a great reupholstery job. It looks incredible. The price is also very reasonable. This offers hope for those vehicles with worn seating.

Interesting that they drove 58,000 miles without ever reporting anything to CarFax or AutoCheck. Not even a registration renewal since the first record in Feb 2011.

For California cars, I mainly see smog checks, dealer service (when they have agreement with Carfax) and police reports on Carfax. Annual registration renewal doesn't show up on Carfax. Teslas don't get smog checks and Tesla Service Centers don't report to Carfax. So, a one California owner Tesla with no accidents where the police showed up and wrote a report will likely have nothing recorded on Carfax except for the initial registration.

2010 Roadster Sport
VIN:
Mileage: 2,900
Price: $75,500
1-owner Radiant Red 2.0 Sport for sale by F40 Motorsports (of Chasing Classic Cars fame) in Portland, CT. Silver forged rims, CF ext pkg, CF int pkg, Executive Beige/Beige int, infotainment pkg, HPC, SMC.

986013_1508245563_2.jpg

Thought I would post this information here...as the For Sale section of TMC is 99% Model S / X.
A friend has asked me to facilitate the sale of his 2011 2.5 Sport R80. He wasn't sure what to price it at, but simply asked that I seek offers on the car. We are still waiting for personal copies of full service documents from our local service center, and are happy to share those upon request once received.

IMG_4048.jpeg

- VIN 1266
- 9,970 Miles (R80 Battery evidently installed around 7,000 Miles)
- 2011 2.5 Sport
- Fusion Red Paint
- Exterior Clear Coat Carbon Fiber Accent Group
- Executive Beige Interior + Clear Coat Carbon Fiber Accent Group
- Black Forged 2.5 Wheels
- Infotainment Group (Double-DIN...7-Speaker Audio + Bluetooth, Subwoofer, HomeLink, etc.)
- Paint Armor
- 120V Spare Mobile Connector (new in box...Tesla replaced this before his purchase)
- Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires ($380 Installed) on rear (excellent tread)
- Battery CAC is around 193.
- Charges to 208 Miles in Standard Mode (77%). He has not Range Charged it, but based on math, it likely charges to 339 Miles.
++++ 3.0 (R80) Battery Upgrade ($32,000 Installed). Offers 340 miles of range.
++++ The R80 Upgrade has a 3 YEAR / 36,000 MILE WARRANTY ON ALL PARTS AND LABOR ASSOCIATED WITH THE UPGRADE. THIS COVERS THE ENTIRE BATTERY AND PEM, ACCORDING TO THE SERVICE CENTER.
++++ Xenon Headlamp Retrofit ($2,900 Installed). Installed on October 7th.
++++ Pioneer SPH-DA120 with Apple CarPlay Headunit + Pioneer Backup Camera ($1,000 Installed). Much better than the original Alpine unit. The new Pioneer camera was retrofitted into the existing housing.
++++ Annual Service Completed July 27, 2017. Clean PEM & bill of health.

Feel free to comment or message me with any questions, concerns, or requests for more photos. Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: Roadster
2008 Tesla Roadster
VIN: 136
Mileage: 22,8000
Price: $55,000
Craigslist lists limited details including: Original owner, soft top and CF hard top (not color matched), and "Just installed re-engineered battery with 1 year warranty"

I would verify the battery warranty claim. It sounds like they have been pushing 3.0s instead of fixing the legacy packs lately. The rally interior is also visible, but some ripples in the door panel are visible.
Now on eBay here.