TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Today's Roadster Orphan

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Roadster, Jan 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DeedWest

DeedWest 2011 2.5 Sport - VIN 1462

Sent you a PM. I haven’t visited them since they got 1157, but since I live 5 minutes away, I’ll head over there and check on it for you.

• Like x 1
  2. ion_1

ion_1 Member

Walked by the showroom yesterday, obviously closed, but the car looks great as it is upfront in the window.
    Hopefully will stop by when they are open some time soon.

3. im4uttx

im4uttx Supporting Member

Dealer in Dallas just texted me confirmation that indeed, Bill Maher was the previous owner. He has signed the title over, so, a little more prestige for this vehicle, at least for the "left leaning" folks... :)

• Like x 3
  4. Doramon0720

Doramon0720 New Member

Hi, from the pictures provided by the dealer, I have some questions... I can see both the glove compartment and the charging plug area being very dusty, almost like filled with mud.... Do you have any idea what's the cause of it?

5. PlayaVista

PlayaVista Member

Hi folks: Brand new visitor to the Roadster forum!

I am a fortunate owner of S 75, X 100D and a 3LR RWD and thinking about getting another Tesla!

While I think I know a lot about Tesla but I know nothing re Roadster. Anything I should be concerned with 642 aka 4k-Mile 2010 Tesla Roadster Sport?

I unfortunately have not been in a roadster before. People say it is super low and firm to the point of being uncomfortable. If you are in Pasadena/Dan Gabriel Valley area of LA I'd love to check out yours!

• Love x 1
  6. im4uttx

I'm a new owner who also had never been in my roadster until I picked it up in Dallas and drove it to Austin. Mine is a little lower mileage 2010 model.

It is very low and firm, as most of these type sports cars. It's smaller than expected if you haven't been in one yet. Can't say it's uncomfortable, though, had no problem driving it for 4 hours with a couple stops for charging. Can be tricky getting into and out of due to it being so low...just have to find a method you are comfortable with entering/exiting the roadster.

It's NOTHING like the later Tesla cars. But, it is the one I fell in love with 6-7 years ago. You don't get all the bells and whistles of the later models.

As long as you go into the ownership of a roadster without expectations of it being a new car, and that something expensive may fail, you'll probably have years of enjoyment. It's a beautiful car and it's fun to drive, along with being a HUGE conversation starter. There just aren't many around, although in CA, might be more than in some other areas.

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

Yes, super low. Comfort is subjective depending on your stature and flexibility.

Another SGV Roadster would be a welcome sight! I have some time this weekend so just PM me if you're interested in seeing one in person.

• Love x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  8. Carl W

Carl W 2008, #311 thunder gray 1.5

If you don't find someone closer, you're welcome to check out and test drive my Roadster. I'm in Laguna Beach. If interested, let me know.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. Doramon0720

Doramon0720 New Member

I see this one on sale on eBay... it says 1.5 to a 3.0 upgrades.... and all I find online was 3.0 upgrades for 2.X only. Any idea if this is legit?

2008 Tesla Roadster | eBay

10. RobsJester

RobsJester Member

At first, the 3.0 upgrade was only offered to 2.0/5, but eventually 1.5 were also included in the upgrade program.

• Informative x 1
  11. Doramon0720

Doramon0720 New Member

Thank you for the info... Does it mean that the power is upgraded to 288 HP and 295 ft-lbs for torque?

12. laika7

laika7 New Member

I’m the seller of 000413 if you have any questions.

It’s a 1.5 upgraded to a 3.0 in late 2016. I’m guessing the owners on this forum played some role in convincing Tesla to engineer a 3.0 upgrade for 1.5 Roadsters after the initial launch :)

I don’t think Tesla advertised a power upgrade as part of the upgrade but by the seat of my pants it feels a little quicker than other Roadsters I’ve driven without the 3.0 battery (especially at highway speeds).

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  13. PlayaVista

PlayaVista Member

#793 PlayaVista, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Thanks for the warm welcome peeps. Whether or not if I join this exclusive club it’s great to see such an awesome community.

• Like x 2
  14. PlayaVista

PlayaVista Member

This could be a separate thread but I just wanted to say publicly how amazing @Roadster has been. We met up Saturday afternoon at my place for what I thought would be a short chat, in person lookie-loo, and may be a drive around the block. Instead I felt I got a massive download of knowledge, history, what to look for, listings review but also hands on time on local streets, hills and the highway. I love it!

So tempted to pull the trigger on the one at BAT or @laika7 but may have to put the purchase on hold as going out of town for extended period. Looking forward to learn more about the Roadster from this community.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 2
  15. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

Just paying it fwd @PlayaVista ;) Many of us where once in your shoes and leaned on the TMC Roadster community for guidance as well, In my case...
    • @Carl W gave me my first seat time behind the wheel of his Roadster
    • @RobsJester opened my eyes to Elon's master plan
    • @DeedWest provided the knowledge to help me truly understand these cars
    If you end up acquiring one yourself someday, there will inevitably be someone else after you who'll benefit from your experiences.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  16. csummers

csummers TXTriguy

Owdy SPicewood! I am in SW Austin #302 We do have an active group Austin & SA Telsa owners, even a few of us roadster guys!

17. im4uttx

I work in SW Austin, and am usually driving the roadster in to work on Thursdays...at least that is the day I've set aside for total enjoyment!

18. hmbprius

hmbprius Supporting Member

19. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I am unsure of the numbers but the 3.0 is faster. I have taken mine to a local track a few times. When new it ran the quarter in 13.1 and 101 mph exit. After 8 year s on the battery it dropped to 13,3 and 99 mph. After the 3.0 I ran 13.0 and 105 mph.

• Informative x 1
  20. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

2008 Tesla Roadster
    VIN:
    #234 (US)
    Mileage: 15,270
    Price: $43,500 USD
    Radiant Red 1.5 for sale in Whidbey Island, WA. Silver forged rims, soft top (needs repair) with bag, body color hard top w/bag, infotainment pkg, CAN-JR, HPC.

00W0W_fh8U5iyutZ4_1200x900.jpg

Attached Files: