Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today's Roadster Orphan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2011 Roadster Sport
VIN:
#546 (EU) [VIN from TEG]
Mileage: 36,661 mi / 59,000 km
Price: $74,748 USD / €67,000 EUR
Brilliant Yellow 2.5 Sport for sale in Vinterbro, Norway. Black 2.5 forged rims, painted CF top, soft top, Premium Black/Yellow Rally Two int, Infotainment pkg, UMC, SMC. PEM and dual fan unit replaced Sept 2019.

View attachment 455010

Anymore have experience purchasing from overseas? Can this roadster be registered in the US? How do you deal/arrange payment? Would you be afraid of scams? Yellow was always my first choice.

you may have a better chance of buying it as any EU buyer will have to pay 10% terrif on the €67.000 and then 25% in VAT, so €92.000, as Norway is outside the EU. Norwegian sellers tend to forget this and think they can sell for a huge profit.

EU to US is doable. However they will not want your car. The components to register in the EU are the same as we use in Canada. I know who just got the last modules, they can however be retrofitted to swap each vehicle. So you could take the module from the EU car and swap it for the US one. I’m pretty sure the clocks are a physical swap but need some sort of verification, that I’m not sure on though, but I remembered that the car does not like milage discrepancies. You could import the car. Swap everything over and then your car would be eligible to go to Canada. There worth a bit more here as there are not very many

I haven't seen too many EU Roadsters end up in the US. There could be some hassles getting it squared away with local DMV and such. I imagine they could send you through some inspection / review process to make sure it has all the correct US safety equipment. The VIN was not registered for sale in North America so it could cause other issues like insurance company not being able to look up the vehicle.

There were some companies that specialized in "federalizing" gray market import cars to USA, but it was expensive enough that generally only done for rare exotics, and a lot revolved around meeting emission standards for gasoline vehicles.

In years past there used to be concerns about non-US cars not having correct US bumpers, and things like daytime running lights, safety reflectors and such. Maybe things are more globally standardized now?

I haven't seen too many EU Roadsters end up in the US. There could be some hassles getting it squared away with local DMV and such. I imagine they could send you through some inspection / review process to make sure it has all the correct US safety equipment. The VIN was not registered for sale in North America so it could cause other issues like insurance company not being able to look up the vehicle.

There were some companies that specialized in "federalizing" gray market import cars to USA, but it was expensive enough that generally only done for rare exotics, and a lot revolved around meeting emission standards for gasoline vehicles.

In years past there used to be concerns about non-US cars not having correct US bumpers, and things like daytime running lights, safety reflectors and such. Maybe things are more globally standardized now?
Holy crap. I’m gonna just hold on to Very Orange #1339 and hope that one of few 2011 Brilliant Yellows in the US go on sale. If you’re one of those owners PM me if interested in selling! Nonsport or sport doesn’t matter to me...just needs to be 2011 year. Thanks everyone for your advice!

I’ll wrap/repaint 1414 in Brilliant Yellow and you can create the only 1400+ VIN in the color @Bunnak ;)

Ohhh nooo! Thunder gray all the way!!!

upload_2019-9-16_23-22-24.jpeg

Reactions: ICON and gregd
Yes, definitely cheaper and more practical but I’m the tup
I’ll wrap/repaint 1414 in Brilliant Yellow and you can create the only 1400+ VIN in the color @Bunnak ;)
tempting. I had the original silver rims power coated gloss black...but to wrap the car...it just won’t feel the same to me. I like the feeling that I truly have a Brilliant Yellow and not a wannabe. Let me @DeedWest if you know anyone willing to sell their 2011 Yellow!

Yes, definitely cheaper and more practical but I’m the tup

tempting. I had the original silver rims power coated gloss black...but to wrap the car...it just won’t feel the same to me. I like the feeling that I truly have a Brilliant Yellow and not a wannabe. Let me @DeedWest if you know anyone willing to sell their 2011 Yellow!
Why only 2011 models?

1 of 19 Yellow Roadsters crashed and rebuilt by Medlock and Sons Tesla shop
mid you scroll down you will find there are exactly none. There were only 3 in 2011.

Tesla did not sell MY 2012 Roadsters in USA... Just in Europe.

The switchover to "2.5" Roadster happened during Model Year 2010, so some later 2010 models may have all the features that Bunnak wants.
Tesla has always made changes as they go without tying things to model years.

Also (as far as I know) not for sale, but #984 is a 2010 Sport with Double-DIN dash, 2.5 Boddywork, and all the carbon fiber:

P0984-5YJRE1A31A1000984-CA-MRBZCOM-c.jpg

P0984-5YJRE1A31A1000984-CA-MRBZCOM.jpg

P0984-5YJRE1A31A1000984-001.jpg

#835 is a 2010 2.0 roadster, but the original owner had it updated to 2.5 bodywork, and repainted (from Red) to yellow...

P0835-5YJRE1A36A1000835-CA-6TRW820-b.jpg

P0835-5YJRE1A36A1000835-CA-6TRW820.jpg

(You can see some custom things like yellow brake rotors, black TESLA logo(s), and custom yellow stitching on the seats. )

It has the 2.0 style forged sport wheels with the thicker/chunkier wheel "blades/spokes".
Bunnak, I think Al & Eds were involved with that project. Maybe they could turn your orange into a Yellow like that.

Last edited: