Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today's Roadster Orphan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2008 Tesla Roadster
VIN:
#351 (US)
Mileage: 14,975
Price: $54,900
Radiant Red 1.5 for sale at Star City Motors in Concord, CA. Dealer states "...always maintained by the Tesla Dealer..." and has "all service records on hand..."

1510156_800600.jpg

Reactions: DeedWest
@John W. Ratcliff, Teresa's twin is listed as "Pending" (at least on the main search results page thumbnail image) at this dealership so perhaps there's hope for her?

2010 Roadster Sport
VIN:
#557 (US)
Mileage: 7,598
Price: $75,988
Thunder Gray 2.0 Sport at Eurostar Auto Gallery in Cockeysville, MD. CF exterior kit, CF interior kit, clear CF hardtop, black forged rims.

2276344_x640_02.jpg

Additionally, to further illustrate the upholstery wisdom @DeedWest recently imparted with us, this one's wearing an Executive Leather Premium Black & Saddle Rally Two interior
2276344_x640_16.jpg

@Roadster I am happy to let you all know that #557 is no longer an orphan. She came home with me on October 1st, 2016. I am not certain why Eurostar in Cockeysville MD still has it listed as pending -- perhaps because we did not receive the title until January 2017 because the owner couldn't find it. Which explains why I have been driving on a temporary license tag until 2 days ago. I love the seats and all the carbon fiber.
upload_2017-2-24_21-21-48.png

By the end of this weekend, I'll have put 200 miles on #728 since I bought her 2 weeks ago and I've loved every minute of it.
@jareade Yes!

#557 is no longer an orphan.
@ViviV, thx for setting the record straight on #557. "Ele" is indeed stunning sporting her CF chapeau to go along with the rest of her CF accoutrements. And those seats!

Reactions: ViviV
@Roadster I am happy to let you all know that #557 is no longer an orphan. She came home with me on October 1st, 2016. I am not certain why Eurostar in Cockeysville MD still has it listed as pending -- perhaps because we did not receive the title until January 2017 because the owner couldn't find it. Which explains why I have been driving on a temporary license tag until 2 days ago. I love the seats and all the carbon fiber.
View attachment 216260
I was watching this one. You've got a beautiful Roadster. Congrats!

Reactions: ViviV
2010 Roadster
55,000 miles

It looks like 735 got bricked. It is on eBay. The images are not of the actual vehicle. Bidding is now at $10k and reserve appears to have been met.

The seller's item description: "This is a 2010 Roadster. The vehicle battery was discharged due to lack of charging. This is your opportunity to own a very desirable vehicle with a profit potential for you. Vehicle is Glacier Blue with Silver Leather interior. Refurbish or replace the battery and sell for a profit, vehicle is locate in South Carolina and must be picked up there. Photos are stock photos indicating color of vehicle, there is no damage to the body of the vehicle whatsoever."

@qwk @dsm363 @Roadster Found these posts about #557 from 2010! Only took 6 years for the price to come down, but at $73K (fully loaded with interior and exterior CF and with more than $11K worth of extras included over its original sales price including xenon headlights, CF hard top and case, soft car cover and HPWC included) and with only 7500 miles, I think #557 was a good buy in 2016. I am thoroughly enjoying. By the way, I was told the owner died and that is why it was sold by the family -- at least in 2016, in 2010 maybe trying to make a profit.

upload_2017-2-26_21-52-28.png

BTW, I happened to meet someone who works at shift.com and he confirmed that eBay user "highergear" is indeed them. I recommended they update their username to at least include the word "shift" in it so users didn't think it was a scam; esp. with such a new rating history. Regardless, if you see a Roadster or any other car from sale from that user, it seems like you should be able to buy with confidence knowing it's a legit seller's handle. Or, just go to shift.com and purchase it directly.

• Helpful
Reactions: RobsJester
#865 was particularly enticing to me...however, upon research of service history, I was turned off.

Regardless, for these prices, it wouldn't be the worst idea to go through the hassle to get them back to the US. After all, they started here. @TEG, could this be the Thunder Gray you finally grab? :)

@DeedWest - I visited the dealer that has 865 a couple of days ago and got the drive log file. The car looks quite nice. Back tires have zero tread...I haven't seen a tire with so little tread in a long time. Digging through the logs there are a few issues with zero charge and some temperature warnings...looks like it may have been sitting in cold weather with an almost 0 charge.

I'm curious about the "service history" you mentioned here. Would you mind sharing? Or could you send me a PM?

Also, regarding #830 at the top of this thread, I managed to get them down to 3,600,000 Yen ($31,573) but then goofed around too long and they sold it about a week ago. :-(

I'm looking at #865 for someone here on the threads that contacted me directly. Would love to buy it myself but just can't justify it as I will be out of the country for a year from April of 2018 and would have to leave it sitting for that entire time. Maybe I could buy it, drive it for six months, and then sell and ship it to him. :)

Kokoro

P.S. The mileage on the cars here in Japan is being quoted inaccurately. The 万 symbol means 10,000. So, for example, #865 has 30,000 Km or 18,641 miles. Still quite low but not as low as assumed here on the forums. ;-)

Last edited:
The mileage on the cars here in Japan is being quoted inaccurately. The 万 symbol means 10,000. So, for example, #865 has 30,000 Km or 18,641 miles.
Whoops, that's my fault for entering those mileage figures in incorrectly then. Thx for pointing this out, @kokoro. I thought they looked uncharacteristically low! @TEG/mods, if it's not too much to ask, could you kindly update my previously entered mileages for the Japanese Roadster posts adding a trailing "0" to the end and adjusting the comma position accordingly? That would be greatly appreciated so they're more accurately represented to potential buyers.

As for #865, that car is definitely overdue for a trip to the local Tesla SC for a compulsory "annual" service. As @Rotarypower pointed out earlier in the thread, all is not right and the ESS is clearly out of balance. However, FWIW, even with those condition issues, the price of the car is remarkably low for what appears to be an almost fully optioned 2.5 Sport so, perhaps, it's worth rolling the dice for whomever on the board it is your assisting with the purchase.

Reactions: kokoro
Whoops, that's my fault for entering those mileage figures in incorrectly then. Thx for pointing this out, @kokoro. I thought they looked uncharacteristically low! @TEG/mods, if it's not too much to ask, could you kindly update my previously entered mileages for the Japanese Roadster posts adding a trailing "0" to the end and adjusting the comma position accordingly? That would be greatly appreciated so they're more accurately represented to potential buyers.

As for #865, that car is definitely overdue for a trip to the local Tesla SC for a compulsory "annual" service. As @Rotarypower pointed out earlier in the thread, all is not right and the ESS is clearly out of balance. However, FWIW, even with those condition issues, the price of the car is remarkably low for what appears to be an almost fully optioned 2.5 Sport so, perhaps, it's worth rolling the dice for whomever on the board it is your assisting with the purchase.

Thanks @Roadster :) Yes, the LOG file confirms that the battery was very low when this message was displayed. And, like the other Roadster I was looking at here in Japan, it hasn't been in for its service check for a while as evidenced by the "Service required" message and subsequent regular maintenance error in the log file.

The dealer is very clearly lacking knowledge about the vehicle (and quite up front about that fact) so I suspect I'll be able to talk them down and get this vehicle for an even better price. And, unlike the other Roadster I was looking at, this dealer is a lower profile outfit and thus less capable of exposing the vehicle to the correct market. On top of that, this Roadster's 'Shaken' is expired so driving it for a test is rather difficult...not impossible (with dealer plates) but not a regular process. As someone mentioned here on the forums, it's a very difficult market here in Japan. People don't know about Teslas (especially the Roadster) and are afraid of service (there is only one service center in the country), the inspection required every two years ('Shaken') etc. Luckily, this dealer is offering a warranty...very limited but better than nothing. One month or 1,000 KM. :)

Kokoro

I made an attempt to edit the mileages like you asked.

2008_tesla_roadster_convertible-pic-4882016300426057268-1024x768.jpeg

I realize this one has already been posted, but there has been a significant price change to reflect accurate market pricing. It was recently at $85,000, then $65,000, but now has dropped to $60,000 flat. As someone who personally looked into this car and nearly purchased it, I can't say enough positive things about it. If I hadn't found my dream color Electric Blue last minute, I'd have jumped on my second favorite color: this one. It's a rare Signature 100 in rare Signature Green. This car deserves to be sold and cared for by an enthusiast.

Follow this link to contact Linda & Will, who are extremely pleasant to work with!

- VIN #0080
- 2008 1.5 Signature 100
- Signature Green
- Premium Black & Saddle Rally One + Matching Head Restraint
- Silver Forged Wheels
- Body Color Hard Top
- Electronics Group
- Paint Armor
- Solar Guard Windshield
- Tesla HPWC, 110V Spare Connector
- Soft Top
- New Tires added just 2,500 miles ago