TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Today's Roadster Orphan

Discussion in 'Roadster 2008-2012' started by Roadster, Jan 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DeedWest

DeedWest Roadsters VP24 & 1462

This is VIN 451, previously at SHIFT for eternity before it was seemingly bricked there.

2. CM_007

CM_007 Carl Medlock

I rebuilt this car in 2016, contact me if you are intersted in buying it. I know this cars history since it was new and a demo here in Seattle.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. Gremlin

Gremlin Member

I have additional details on 5YJRE6A10A1000938. I LOVE the color or Arctic Blue Roadsters. What can I say? The dealer states it charges to 202 miles. I was little turned off by them stating:
    Furthermore, the vehicle is not available for a test-drive. Due to the rarity of the vehicle, we do not offer test-drives unless a deposit is placed on the vehicle. The vehicle cannot be financed. It must be a transaction. Lastly, I would recommend reaching out to your ministry of transportation to double check if this vehicle can be registered in your state.

What flying from DC not serious enough? Then I have to pay import tax, VA tax and personal property tax too? On top of figuring out if I can register the car? Still thinking about it but a lot of hurdles. It has insurance claim left side (23k to fix it). Looks great from the photos. Did I miss something gang? Thanks

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. Bill_Baron

Bill_Baron Member

Actually, that's Electric Blue. There's a Glacier Blue that is much lighter, and an Arctic White.

I suspect you can't drive it because it's been salvaged, so they don't have it registered. Before you jump in on this, you should talk to a customs broker who routinely imports Canadian cars. There might be some restrictions on cars that have salvage titles. There's a lot of risk and headaches ahead buying a damaged car. For a while, Tesla service centers wouldn't touch them or even sell parts for them. I think that's changed, but maybe on a case by case basis.

If I were you, I'd hold out for a US car with a clean title. They do show up periodically.

• Informative x 1
  5. Bill_Baron

Bill_Baron Member

Wait - What happened??? I went to the web page and they still want $90K CAN for it? They're telling you it has $23K in damage? Something's not right here.

6. Gremlin

Gremlin Member

Thank you and agreed. Love this group!!

• Like x 1
  7. Gremlin

Gremlin Member

#1087 Gremlin, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020

I thought I was the crazy one. The car had 23K in damages in Jan 2015, and was fixed sometime in Feb 2015. It's on the CARFAX report. However to be asking that price - insane yes. I'll wait. Glacier Blue was the color I meant is my favorite Roadster color. Then electric blue and black is second place tie :- P. Not sure why the CARFAX didn't show up. Here it is again on the car.

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  8. X.l.r.8

X.l.r.8 Supporting Member

#1088 X.l.r.8, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    @Carbuilder
    Is this not your car and also
    @djp old car and was sold some time ago. Shift seems to leave their ads up with cheap or desirable cars to drive traffic even though the car was sold a long time previous. I personally have nothing good to say about them.
    the reason you cannot drive it is because they do not own it. Or it’s on commission and they do not have it.

edit. Their car is. 939. My comment on Shift still stands. Importing the car to the US needs no further modifications. Only the other way around.

• Like x 1
  9. Gremlin

Gremlin Member

Must have been some good cocaine.

10. Bill_Baron

Bill_Baron Member

Gremlin Your ship has come in! #432 Glacier Blue in LA

• Like x 1
  11. Gremlin

Gremlin Member

#1091 Gremlin, Jan 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Bill thank you sir. Good looking out. I'm picky, I prefer the 2.5 models due to sound insulation, double din (Apply Play) and the 12v battery not being within the ESS. Also the car has to have least 180 miles of range or dead on arrival. Not sure if Tesla is coming back with the ESS upgrade. Most roadster colors I can deal with except a few: Racing Green, Bright Yellow and Very Orange not happening. I'm the 1/2 camp that likes Lightning Green! I saw the Lighting Green 2.5 at the Rockville SC while road rash rims were getting fixed, but had little over 30k on model S and two credit cards. Discipline. Sigh.

I looked (online not in person) at Barrett-Jackson Collection Showroom Roadster turned me onto :- p. That is one sweet looking car. Rather not sell Apple or Amazon stock until MS payments are gone (about 5-6 months current rate). Just paid off Amex (gone) Visa gone in two more weeks. Home and MS be my only debt.

That electric blue in Canada would have been mine if in U.S. and no accident! My original Model S was the Ocean Blue. Gorgeous. May paint a Roadster that Ocean Blue :- P once I land one.

12. Gremlin

Gremlin Member

#1092 Gremlin, Jan 18, 2020
    StackPath

. Why do I do it to myself?
    5YJRE1A32B1001353. Dakota says it has R80 battery pack from July 17 and new PEM. Having said all that, black book on 2011 Roadster sport at 19K miles was 55k. 70K a reasonable price?

13. Gremlin

Gremlin Member

Here's file he just sent to me.

Attached Files:

14. drewski

drewski Supporting Member

the trends from the 3.0 battery thread made me question trying to find one with it . . . what kind of range does it get per charge, currently?

15. im4uttx

im4uttx Supporting Member

What is the ideal range? std/rng modes? Can you get a log dump?

60-70k is the range for clean low mileage, imo...this appears to be at the upper end, but with battery/PEM upgrade, could be worth it. The 40k for battery/PEM doesn't automatically make it worth more, but it does take risk off the table for wear and tear on that system that you should not have to worry about near-term.

She looks nice.

• Like x 1
  16. Gremlin

Gremlin Member

#1096 Gremlin, Jan 18, 2020
    I asked for the range, they just got it sitting in warehouse charging now. He stated 255 of top his head but not sure yet. Dealer stated:

The original owner he said he just didn’t drive it enough, just purchased a new Bentley and that’s what he’s been driving. He said it just sat there and collected dust.

I don't have &^%$ you money sitting around.

• Funny x 1
  17. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Yes I think $70K is very reasonable for a good R80. The pack should easily extend the life 10 years. If Tesla does come back with the 3.0 battery I would bet it will not be below $29K for the upgrade.

• Informative x 1
  18. Bunnak

Bunnak Member

I would buy it. Great color, R80, PEM, etc.

• Like x 1
  19. Tommie66

Tommie66 Member

Anyone have an update on #1297?
    It’s back up for auction !
    Does anyone know if someone with the knowledge tried to revive the battery pack?

20. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Member

No, that is not my car. And yes, djp's car was sold some time ago.........to me!

I did look at that car at Shift. I would have bought it but they sent it out to Tesla to be checked out for me after I looked at it and forgot to let me know when it was back. Yes, despite my emails reminding them I was ready to buy it when it came back (assuming the checkout didn't find anything and the battery condition was good). So I ended up buying the other car and then emailed to tell them they really messed up big time.

The car at Shift did seem very good to me. I did find some history on it and the damage was a parking lot hit that was not too serious, but panels were replaced so it cost a bit for the repairs. I don't think it was a salvage title car; pretty sure I would have been told that.

My experience is also that Shift leaves ads up after cars are gone. I don't think they are the only ones to do that, but you have to call them to see if cars advertised are still for sale.