Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today's Roadster Orphan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully the worst of COVID is behind us. I am considering selling my 1.5/3.0 Roadster

roadster_255_left-jpg.543932

Tesla Roadster 1.5 with 3.0 Battery for Sale $69,500

Own the original that started the EV revolution, upgraded with the latest battery technology from Tesla. The Roadster is an all-electric sports car produced by, California based Tesla Motors, the Tesla Roadster is innovative, efficient, and seductively beautiful; and few things, can boast all three! Perhaps more importantly, the winner of Time Magazine’s 2008 Best Transportation Invention, Popular Mechanics 2006 Breakthrough Award, du Pont Registry’s 2009 Best Green Exotic, and Forbes Magazine’s “Best new car that lived up to the hype”, the Tesla Roadster paved the way to environmentally friendly performance in modern cars. The Roadster has phenomenal acceleration silently rocketing you to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds (3.8 with battery upgrade). As one expects of an automobile designed by Lotus, steering is tight and responsive, and the driver feels at one with both the car and the road. The car has about 56,000 miles and has been garage kept, is in very good shape, and serviced mostly by Tesla.

Factory options (Invoice was $109,000):

· Carbon fiber hard top (in addition to soft top) $5000
· Premium sound system & navigation $3000
· 240v & 120v Charging cables (standard)
· Forged Alloy wheels
· Soft top with storage bag

Over $41,000 of additional options added over last 8 years:
· 3.0 Battery upgrade giving 310 miles of range and a performance boost $29,000
o Battery & Power Electronics Module (PEM) warrantied until July 2020
· Sound Reduction Package Stage 1 $3000
· Sound Reduction Package Stage 2 (note even then the Roadster is not a quiet car) $1000
· Tesla HID headlamp upgrade $2400
· High Power Wall Connector (for charging up to 70 amps) $1950
· Tesla Carbon Fiber door sills $1400
· J-1772 adapter (CAN JR) for charging at more than 21,000 public charging stations $650
· Model S adapter (CAN SR) for charging at over 4,700 Tesla destination AC chargers $650
· Hitch – Used for bicycle rack (or to tow gas cars who have run out of gas J) $350
· Tesla Hard Top Storage bag $250
· Boot Bag for nearly double the storage on road trips $200
· OVMS to track/charge your Roadster (will require GPRS SIMM card) $120
· Black vinyl protection below the doors can be removed if desired. $100
· Additional pre-filter for PEM and motor to help keep them clean and cool

This first-generation Roadster has some nice features as they decontented later models such as:
· Carbon fiber center console and trunk well.
· Military grade quick connections on PEM
· Adjustable lumbar (while driving) and seats that are slightly thinner for more headroom
· VDS display by door (charging settings) is easily reached without having to climb in the car
· Full performance power is the default driving mode
· Storage shelf that is much larger than 2.x glove box
· No 12v battery which has proven to be a headache in the 2.x models.
· Reliable TPMS

Standard equipment
· Air Conditioning/Heating
· Power Windows
· Remote Keyless Entry (two keys)
· Dual Front Impact Airbags
· Low Tire Pressure Monitoring System
· Cruise Control
· Removable Targa top
· Integrated Garage Door Transmitter
· Heated leather seats

Details are at Dropbox - 2008_Roadster - Simplify your life

Note 3.0 range loss has moderated greatly.

Range_Graph.JPG

Should have gotten on CarGurus before I posted the above. Car is still there has been for 385 days, price has been dropped to $41,995 Thunder Gray with Dark Gray Interior, 53,712 miles
Just saw 379 mentioned in another thread. Any thoughts on it since you saw it in person? I'm a model 3 owner and always had a curiosity with the roadster but not up to speed on the ins an outs. These seem to be hard to come by but that one sitting there for over a year makes me wonder about it.

Just saw 379 mentioned in another thread. Any thoughts on it since you saw it in person? I'm a model 3 owner and always had a curiosity with the roadster but not up to speed on the ins an outs. These seem to be hard to come by but that one sitting there for over a year makes me wonder about it.
it's an earlier version (1.0 i think), a lot miles for a roadster and color may not be appealing. and from what i remember it's as basic as you can get. no upgrades, mods, etc. some folks are fine with that. i guarantee you if it was black or yellow it would have sold already.

Just found this thread and became a member. I'm been very interested in pursuing a 2008 Roadster as my daily driver but I've only seen them from a distance. I'd like to be able to sit in one and ride as a passenger to make sure my 59 year old back can handle it. I live near Auburn California between Sacramento and Tahoe. Any suggestions. Is the ride similar to the 2006 lotus?

Just found this thread and became a member. I'm been very interested in pursuing a 2008 Roadster as my daily driver but I've only seen them from a distance. I'd like to be able to sit in one and ride as a passenger to make sure my 59 year old back can handle it. I live near Auburn California between Sacramento and Tahoe. Any suggestions. Is the ride similar to the 2006 lotus?
Yes the Lotus Elise will be the closest comparison. The Roadster is actually a tad larger so if you are good with the Elise you will do fine with the Roadster. It is a tiny car. At 61 I can get in and out no problem. Now my wife not so much so.

Reactions: ra88it

I used the Roadster as a daily driver for about four years in my early 50s. The Roadster's firm straight-back seats have always been great for my back, which gets troubled by seats that are too soft under the seat and/or lack support near the base of the spine (such as the Model 3). Getting in and out is easiest if you are facing toward the rear of the car while holding on to the sill and the steering wheel for support; it becomes second-nature after a few months.

The one problem I have noticed comes from repeatedly leaning forward and twisting left (for a head checks to mitigate the bad blind spot on the driver-side). That aggrevates a muscle/tendon in my left rib cage after a few days of driving. Recently I've been looking for a way to mount a European-style exterior mirror on the driver side, in hopes that the mildly convex shape will eliminate the blind spot as well as the awkward head checks that come with it.

• Informative
Reactions: TEG
I used the Roadster as a daily driver for about four years in my early 50s. The Roadster's firm straight-back seats have always been great for my back, which gets troubled by seats that are too soft under the seat and/or lack support near the base of the spine (such as the Model 3). Getting in and out is easiest if you are facing toward the rear of the car while holding on to the sill and the steering wheel for support; it becomes second-nature after a few months.

The one problem I have noticed comes from repeatedly leaning forward and twisting left (for a head checks to mitigate the bad blind spot on the driver-side). That aggrevates a muscle/tendon in my left rib cage after a few days of driving. Recently I've been looking for a way to mount a European-style exterior mirror on the driver side, in hopes that the mildly convex shape will eliminate the blind spot as well as the awkward head checks that come with it.
get extendview mirrors. you'll never have neck issues again.
ExtendView Mirrors (TM)

• Informative
Reactions: ra88it and dhrivnak
Roadster is so low that sometimes you have to contort to look up to see if the traffic light has changed.
It would be nice if there was some kind of fresnel type lense at the top of the windshield so you could see up better.
Or maybe the clear roof panel would solve that one.

Welcome to the forum. You may be very lucky. You may not be in locale that is hot bed of Roadster owners, but I just PM'd an owner who I believe lives in Auburn. Hopefully, you can connect with him... he's a good guy.

Good luck.

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak and ra88it
Roadster is so low that sometimes you have to contort to look up to see if the traffic light has changed.
It would be nice if there was some kind of fresnel type lense at the top of the windshield so you could see up better.
Or maybe the clear roof panel would solve that one.

There is, and I have one. I will have to look back to see where I got it—but I can tell you for sure it was something I learned about on this board. It is a small piece of plastic with a fresnel lens that just sticks to the inside of the windshield and lets you see the traffic lights without bending your neck down. Of course I can honestly say that I still often bend my neck down because the fresnel lens makes things smaller and it is still easier, if more painful, to just bend my head down!

• Informative
Reactions: TEG
There is, and I have one. I will have to look back to see where I got it—but I can tell you for sure it was something I learned about on this board. It is a small piece of plastic with a fresnel lens that just sticks to the inside of the windshield and lets you see the traffic lights without bending your neck down. Of course I can honestly say that I still often bend my neck down because the fresnel lens makes things smaller and it is still easier, if more painful, to just bend my head down!
We use them in the lotus groups, too. I can’t for the life of me remember where I got it.