TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Today's Roadster Orphan

Discussion in 'Roadster 2008-2012' started by Roadster, Jan 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. IslandRoadster

IslandRoadster Red Roadster #609!

I would note that it’s lovely, sunny, 75 Fahrenheit, and low humidity today in Seattle area. Just sayin!

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Funny to hear the discussion of plate numbers.

Back in the day (2011 or so), I was getting my Roadster and needed a plate. Plates here are normally two letters, followed by number sequence. The letters increment every year (kind of similar to the UK system). I could either take a random number from the transport department, go the auction route to get my own custom plate number, or buy one already out there (from so called 'lucky number' sites). I took the third option, and found a bunch of relatively cheap 'EV' prefix plates for sale. I chose EV915. I while later, my friend Sonny obviously thought it was a good idea and picked up EV918. Later on came EV914 (Model S) and EV1181 (Model X). So nothing to do with VIN number.

The car in question is a well maintained Roadster Sport (manufactured 2011, or possibly 2012). It was car #2 to get OVMS, and was a test bed for early work on that.

• Informative x 2
  3. eHorses

eHorses Member

So, it’s not just in my head:) Phew!

seriously, is there any benefit to changing out the coolant more frequent than every 4 years if you’re in a climate that runs it more frequently? Can it be DYI like a brake flush?

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I doubt that coolant life is affected by the pump running. For coolant the temperatures and pressure mild compared to an ICE vehicle. Now Tesla uses the not as long lasting, but less toxic polypropylene glycol and I found out it tends to break down and foam after about 7 years. So yes it needs replaced but sooner than 5 years is an effort in futility I do believe.

• Informative x 2
  5. eHorses

eHorses Member

OK, I also see black particulate build up/stain on the upper rim of the coolant container. What’s Causing this and any concerns?

6. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

That does not sound good and hard for me to say as I never saw that. But if I did then I would tend to change the coolant sooner rather than later.

7. drewski

drewski Supporting Member

Same oddity as 667 with a Sport model showing "Tesla Motors" right side door sill. Even odder, #667's left side sill does say Roadster Sport so the two sides don't match.

[​IMG]

8. Gremlin

Gremlin Member

Wrong side of the world for me mate. She look gorgeous and right color too (Blue, Red, or Black).

9. pd_australia

pd_australia Member

I am going to ask the previous owner to take down that ad as I am not planning to sell this anytime soon.

Previous owner made a mistake about #771 being a Roadster 2.5 Sport. It's just a normal Roadster 2.5 I suspect:
    - no badge on the back under Tesla
    - no badge next to the wheels
    - no badge on the door sills as you pointed out
    - no "sport" label on the VDS

There is actually not a single indication that this is a Sport version as far as I am aware ...

• Informative x 1
  10. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

Digit #8 on the Roadster VIN denotes the model:
    • 1 = Roadster Base
    • 3 = Roadster Sport
    In the case of #771, this means she's a Base model - SFZRE3B17B3000771

• Helpful x 3
    • Informative x 1
  11. TEG

TEG Teslafanatic

Also VDS would say Roadster Sport if it were one.

12. drewski

geo-thermal heat pump run on solar?

13. drewski

probax?

14. drewski

• Informative x 1
  15. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Great start.

16. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

2010 Roadster Signature 250
    VIN:
    SFZRE2B15A3000079
    Mileage: 35,212 mi / 56,668 km
    Price: $98,202 USD / £75,000 GBP
    1-owner Insane Green 2.0 Sig 250 #79 for sale at Portland Autos in Doncaster, UK. Base cast rims, painted CF top + bag, soft top, xenons, aftermarket Blaupunkt infotainment system, Executive Black int, UMC.

fullsizeoutput_164f.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Member

The value of these cars seems to be all over the place. Normally when I consider selling a car I can do some research and determine pretty well what the selling price is going to be. Ignoring the $1M ones, what would a very good condition one go for in the US? Original battery with CAC of 148 (I think that is good but not sure). Sport suspension, all the roofs, etc. I know it is hard to say without more details, but I've seen prices from $45k to $90k (actually, $98k+ for the ad just above this.....seriously?), which seems like too big a range for similar cars.

18. im4uttx

im4uttx Supporting Member

First, forget about "original battery" for value. The current battery condition is all the matters, other than a bonus if a longer range battery (3.0?). Higher CAC/range the higher value. CAC at 148 isn't GREAT, but it's not bad. Special value in "signature" or "last X". It then becomes a supply/demand or desirability for a specific color/sport/etc. Then upgrades (tops, CF, etc) add value, if a seller/buyer like/want those items. Personally, I think $60-70K is a solid range for a base with good battery (>150 CAC) and no known issues. Rarity adds to that value. Availability and demand in an area (UK) might push up the price, but if someone is just testing the market, the $98K could be a good starting point to see who is looking for a top-end car.

19. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Member

I didn't mean "original battery" as adding value, I actually meant it as reducing value. Good information, thank you. I love the car, but am getting worried if it needs a serious repair to the electronics at some point that the parts just aren't available.

20. im4uttx

im4uttx Supporting Member

Personally, I don't think there is a huge risk of not being able to repair/replace electronics. Most parts have sources. The 2 major items, the PEM and the battery, both have possible sources of repair and rebuild.