Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today's Roadster Orphan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hahahaha i dont trust bestbuy as well.
Ummm maybe i can order the double din conversion and drive to motorwekz.(6 hours driving) i wonder how much will this cost.

I do want to leave it the way it is. But, it annoys me to see an aftermarket camera. And, the rear camera is not working...

hahahaha i dont trust bestbuy as well.
Ummm maybe i can order the double din conversion and drive to motorwekz.(6 hours driving) i wonder how much will this cost.

I do want to leave it the way it is. But, it annoys me to see an aftermarket camera. And, the rear camera is not working...

Now that you're on the hook, search the forum for various things...there are a LOT of good threads for work done on our cars...in the 10ish years since release, you can bet someone here has had similar thoughts as you... :)

I have a 1.5 with the KD-NX5000 JVC. If you have a older Apple device with the 30-pin connector, plugging in to the 30-pin cable works for both playing music and charging the device. When the audio input selection is set to iPod you have some control of the device from the JVC, but the UI is generally less convenient that just going to the device itself. You can also select the External Audio input on the JVC to just use the analog pins in the 30-pin connector.

If you want to connect a newer Apple device with a lightning connector you can get the 30-pin to lightning adapter. However that won't allow charging because the 30-pin connector uses the 12V Firewire charging convention while the new devices use 5V USB charging. You can get a CableJive dockStubz adapter which is a short 30-pin-F to 30-pin-M adapter that converts the voltage for charging. I have been using that with the Apple 30-pin to lightning cable for several years.

Received the canada roadster and also tested the charging cable. Super happy :)

I have 2 small questions.
Does the JvC support Bluetooth audio?
I think there is a small camera at the back kf the bumper. If so, how to turn it on?

Congrats! I see your taillights are the US style instead of the Canadian style, were they already like this or did you have to have them retrofitted to import? What about the speedometer, was it in km/h or mph? I know some people have had to go through an instrument cluster swap to import. Was this a car that started in Canada or one that was originally in the US and then made its way to Canada and is now returning?

I have a 1.5 with the KD-NX5000 JVC. If you have a older Apple device with the 30-pin connector, plugging in to the 30-pin cable works for both playing music and charging the device. When the audio input selection is set to iPod you have some control of the device from the JVC, but the UI is generally less convenient that just going to the device itself. You can also select the External Audio input on the JVC to just use the analog pins in the 30-pin connector.

If you want to connect a newer Apple device with a lightning connector you can get the 30-pin to lightning adapter. However that won't allow charging because the 30-pin connector uses the 12V Firewire charging convention while the new devices use 5V USB charging. You can get a CableJive dockStubz adapter which is a short 30-pin-F to 30-pin-M adapter that converts the voltage for charging. I have been using that with the Apple 30-pin to lightning cable for several years.

So, you are using two adapters. One to convert power and second one to convert to lighting for your iPhone. Interesting... this sounds like a good solution. Thank you for the trick.

Congrats! I see your taillights are the US style instead of the Canadian style, were they already like this or did you have to have them retrofitted to import? What about the speedometer, was it in km/h or mph? I know some people have had to go through an instrument cluster swap to import. Was this a car that started in Canada or one that was originally in the US and then made its way to Canada and is now returning?

It was made in the US and exported to Canada for the original buyer. I imported it back to US because i think 84k cad is reasonable. (Meter and everything is km) I didnt need to provide anything but a letter from tesla. The manufacture needs to issue a letter(email is okay) stating the car also meets USA standard.

Attachments

• 11C540FE-A97A-43BD-8161-D3B8E649ACD7.jpeg
    11C540FE-A97A-43BD-8161-D3B8E649ACD7.jpeg
    359.4 KB · Views: 121
went to DMV and registered the car successfully. I did the "right" thing and put 64k usd purchase price. over 6k sales (ouch) When the lady notice the purchase price, she suddenly got super curious. why this car is so expensive and why imported one from Canada...

The dmv experience was not bad but interesting. When I fill out the form, I put km. During the inspection, the digital meter showed on miles! It is odd, it was km in Canada. Of course, the physical speed display of course is on km. The inspector started asking me bunch of Tesla questions as well. I have never seen this model.

since the dealer personally know the previous owner. I asked the him to message the previous owner to solve the rear camera mystery.
So, the original owner "upgraded" the single din to another single din (fold out screen) with rear camera display. It stopped working. The previous owner swapped it back and never used the rear camera.

I am thinking I should take this opportunity to buy a double din conversion kit from Medlock&son. ($1,550) Then, get a double din stereo that supports bluetooth and ask them to fix the rear camera function. hehehe maybe they can help me install the ohms v3 as well. Executive Motorwerkz is 350 miles away. (about 6 hours) Do you guys think it is practical for me to drive there?

P.S.
The dealer gave me a new regular EV charger and an adapter. I assume I can use that adapter for my road trip? The Tesla adapter says 70 AMP. What kind of charging speed should I expect?

The dealer gave me a new regular EV charger and an adapter. I assume I can use that adapter for my road trip? The Tesla adapter says 70 AMP. What kind of charging speed should I expect?

I assume they gave you a J1772 charger and adapter (Tesla's J1772 adapter was marked "70 AMP"). You can use the adapter at most common J1772 stations but they are generally not very powerful. Most are 30A. Some of them don't work with a Roadster such as the new NRG stations, most ChargePro, and very old EVLink models made by Schneider Electric. Tesla Wall Chargers such as the Destination Charging Network usually provide faster charging using a CAN SR adapter. How long is your road trip?

6 hours away. maybe it is not the best idea. I was thinking when covid situation gets better, i can spend a week in LA and get some korean food hahahah.

Okay sounds like the best way to do road trip is is use PlugShare app and filter J1772. Hopefully there are hotels or shopping malls offer power outlet or J1772.

6 hours away. maybe it is not the best idea. I was thinking when covid situation gets better, i can spend a week in LA and get some korean food hahahah.

Okay sounds like the best way to do road trip is is use PlugShare app and filter J1772. Hopefully there are hotels or shopping malls offer power outlet or J1772.
Where are you located... San Jose area? I don't know about Executive Motorwerkz, but I would think there are reputable places in any large city. It would definitely be a trek and you would learn a bunch on the whole charging thing... I could help between San Luis Obispo and the San Fernando Valley. But, again I can't imagine that you can't find something closer.

I think there is a small camera at the back kf the bumper. If so, how to turn it on?
In theory the JVC supports Bluetooth but mine went out early and I replaced with a second Bluetooth that died after 6 months and tried a third that died after 6 weeks. So I gave up.

I've been lucky with pretty solid Bluetooth with 667 . . . that is, until I recently upgraded my phone (from Pixel 2 to Pixel 4). I've only driven 667 a couple of times since, but the JVC refuses to auto-reconnect / remember the phone and I had to re-pair each time I started the car.

I think she's angry that she's more the garage queen these days . . .

2010 Roadster Sport
VIN:
N/A
Mileage: 4,680 mi / 7,532 km
Price: $42,572 USD / ¥4,398,000 YEN
RHD Lightning Green 2.5 Sport for sale by LIBERALA in Iruma, Saitama Japan. Silver forged rims, soft top, CF ext pkg, CF int pkg, Exec Black / Black int, infotainment pkg.

U00033002215_18_001.jpg

Attachments

• U00033002215_4_001.jpg
    U00033002215_4_001.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 97
  • U00033002215_17_001.jpg
    U00033002215_17_001.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 68
  • U00033002215_6_001.jpg
    U00033002215_6_001.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 86
  • U00033002215_7_001.jpg
    U00033002215_7_001.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 70
  • U00033002215_8_001.jpg
    U00033002215_8_001.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 86
  • U00033002215_11_001.jpg
    U00033002215_11_001.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 75
  • U00033002215_13_001.jpg
    U00033002215_13_001.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 96
  • U00033002215_10_001.jpg
    U00033002215_10_001.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Roadster (Saitama) Used Car Details _ For Used Cars [Car Sensor Net].pdf
    574.3 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: drewski
^^This.
If you have still own your model 3, its mobile charger (or Tesla's wall charger for that matter), using the CanSr from Henry Sharp is your cleanest and simplest option for charging the roadster. The "charging cable adapter (to use with current generic chargers)" will likely allow you to connect to standard J1772 chargers if you were using one of those at home for your model 3, this would also be an option.

Here is my situation.
110v garage
Have a EV cable supports up to 16A
Have a tesla adapter supports up to 70A
Plan to get model 3 or Y next year

Purpose: charge faster and reduce risk
Thinking: install 220v outlet

Since i plan to get model 3 or Y, i would love to install 220 and tesla wall connector. Is there any roadster charging adapter for that?

Attachments

• 93B26A62-AF9E-4E40-B98C-F5EDCFDF9A8B.jpeg
    93B26A62-AF9E-4E40-B98C-F5EDCFDF9A8B.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 5D37EDDE-1016-47B0-8E36-F344308F6B33.jpeg
    5D37EDDE-1016-47B0-8E36-F344308F6B33.jpeg
    356.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 71107FC1-0BAB-4C5B-82D0-2579D304CD93.jpeg
    71107FC1-0BAB-4C5B-82D0-2579D304CD93.jpeg
    416.3 KB · Views: 53
Here is my situation.
110v garage
Have a EV cable supports up to 16A
Have a tesla adapter supports up to 70A
Plan to get model 3 or Y next year

Purpose: charge faster and reduce risk
Thinking: install 220v outlet

Since i plan to get model 3 or Y, i would love to install 220 and tesla wall connector. Is there any roadster charging adapter for that?
Or you can look up topics such as "new owner", "new roadster owner" etc and post your questions there. That's what I did when I got my roadster 2 years ago. I didn't post here (which is for "roadster orphan"). Your roadster is no longer an orphan...so again congrats and welcome!

Or you can look up topics such as "new owner", "new roadster owner" etc and post your questions there. That's what I did when I got my roadster 2 years ago. I didn't post here (which is for "roadster orphan"). Your roadster is no longer an orphan...so again congrats and welcome!

Yea you guys are right. I just realized im getting off topic in many ways. People following this thread are trying to find a roadster. My bad.