Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today's Roadster Orphan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Canada has a more strict safety compliance than USA. Since i imported one from Canada to USA, i read a lot about this. I think there was one person successfully export US roadster to Canada long time ago. Tesla sourced the parts from Canada for him and “upgraded” it for him in the USA. But… those are old Tesla days..

• Helpful
Reactions: Roadster
Can you expand on this for us?
Canadian rules fall into 2 categories:
1. If older then 15 years (date of manufacture), you can import pretty much any vehicle, no modifications needed (includes JDM RHD).
2. Less then 15 years old, have to consult riv.ca (some minor modifications needed), as far as the roadster is concerned:

Note-2: Admissible Roadster models include those built from May 4, 2009 to August 31, 2011 inclusively with last four digit VIN range starting #0501 (build week 5/4/2009) extending through #1420 (build week 8/29/2011).

Fully charged it’s at 139 so probably close to CAC 135-140 which is not outstanding but certainly very useable. The car turns out very nice so like everyone else I’m thinking it’s going to be a 125,000 car. Which once again raises the valuation on everyone else’s car. I think I got mine at a pretty sweet spot and waited quite a while to grab the one I really wanted. I can’t imaging wanting one for a long time and watching the prices slowly climb out of reach.
Interview me I can tell you the exact feelings : (. For a car purchased at 120K, for me at least I can't speak for others, it no sense to purchase a used Roadster then drop another 30k for an ESS. Cheaper and best route is to get the Roadster II which is under warranty, full support of Tesla, Supercharger access, better range, etc etc.

Some may scoff at me saying that but one of the attractive points to the Roadster was attractive alternative to the Roadster II, history, and perfect write off as company car. Over 100k, sort of hard to state I use this as a business vehicle. Begging IRS "look at me".

Canada has a more strict safety compliance than USA. Since i imported one from Canada to USA, i read a lot about this. I think there was one person successfully export US roadster to Canada long time ago. Tesla sourced the parts from Canada for him and “upgraded” it for him in the USA. But… those are old Tesla days..

A couple of people did it in the 'old' Tesla days (US to Canada).
I was one of them that did it during a very interesting time period (for me)...US$ to CAN$ parity!
The 'upgrade' was done here by Tesla Montreal.
I wouldn't attempt it today, even on the right year model 2010/2011...not enough spare parts floating around.

If you look at all the pictures on the BaT listing there is one old (~2013) picture of it in white with front end body damage before the repair/repaint. There is also an invoice from Tesla to repair the front end.
2011_tesla_roadster_16178396339ae085ebee9f0accident1.jpeg

Seems surprising that such an accident would result in a total write-off and salvage title.

Reactions: RobsJester
If you look at all the pictures on the BaT listing there is one old (~2013) picture of it in white with front end body damage before the repair/repaint. There is also an invoice from Tesla to repair the front end.
2011_tesla_roadster_16178396339ae085ebee9f0accident1.jpeg

Seems surprising that such an accident would result in a total write-off and salvage title.
It must have been the rad leak that caused the write off, you can see the big stain under the car in the attached photo.....

Jokes aside, 130k usd on BaT is big money!