Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today's Roadster Orphan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the current environment that seemed low for a nice R80 (there’s an accident on car fax, but apparently it’s documented with the repair bill to have been cosmetic)

So i did a bit of math, trying to make sense of it. The listing doesn’t show CAC our estimated range. It states the upgrade was done in June 2017, so that’s about 4.5 years ago. That’s about 1,600 days.

Based on @bolosky ’s study that would put the CAC likely somewhere around 165, not that far off from a low mileage original pack (which show up between 145-155), so it would seem that there’s a lower premium on an older R80 conversion.

Of course, I realize I’m extrapolating a lot here out of one data point :)
Very well also could be the battery is not in that good of shape due to poor management, thus, they did not provide the information. If I was selling a car with a good battery, I would provide the information as a selling point. Absolutely no reason NOT to provide the information IF it would add value.

Very well also could be the battery is not in that good of shape due to poor management, thus, they did not provide the information. If I was selling a car with a good battery, I would provide the information as a selling point. Absolutely no reason NOT to provide the information IF it would add value.
Yeah - I thought it was quite strange that they didn’t respond when someone asked them for the state of the battery point blank in the comments. It was sort of evasive “when it was new it was rated at xxx”

I just checked my car. At about 5 and a quarter years and 62K miles on the 3.0 battery it has a CAC of 167. It first hit 167 about a year and a half ago at 58K miles (I'm driving it much less in the pandemic), and has bounced around since then. It may be that it's over-reporting because I haven't run the battery down low with long drives. But even if it is, it's clear that the rate of decline is much less than when the batteries were new.

I think it's time to do an update. It's been about a year, and we might have enough data on the "new" 3.0 batteries to see if they suck less.

2011 Tesla Roadster
VIN: 5YJRE1A12B1001237
Mileage: 38,000 mi
Price: $76,600.00 USD Starting Bid (with Reserve) and $100,000 USD BIN

Radiant Red (originally Twilight Blue) 2.5 Base up for auction on eBay. Black forged rims, painted CF top with CCF pattern wrap , soft top, CCF pattern wrapped hood veins and spoiler(?), clear CF front lip, blacked out hood "T", Premium light gray interior, infotainment pkg, UMC(?), SMC(?), CAN-SR(?), CAN-JR(?). @PV-EV's former car. Accident in 2014 discussed here. Rebuilt title following full restoration by Medlock & Sons in 2015.

5.jpeg

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    433.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 9.jpeg
    9.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 8.jpeg
    8.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    433.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    461 KB · Views: 63
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    446.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 2011 Tesla Roadster | eBay.pdf
    672.9 KB · Views: 83
2011 Tesla Roadster
VIN: 5YJRE1A12B1001237
Mileage: 38,000 mi
Price: $76,600.00 USD Starting Bid (with Reserve) and $100,000 USD BIN

Radiant Red (originally Twilight Blue) 2.5 Base up for auction on eBay. Black forged rims, painted CF top with CCF pattern wrap , soft top, CCF pattern wrapped hood veins and spoiler(?), clear CF front lip, blacked out hood "T", Premium light gray interior, infotainment pkg, UMC(?), SMC(?), CAN-SR(?), CAN-JR(?). @PV-EV's former car. Accident in 2014 discussed here. Rebuilt title following full restoration by Medlock & Sons in 2015.

View attachment 771558
I have never heard of the term, a "Rebuilt Title" before. Is that a soft way of saying it is a Salvage Title?

Reactions: IslandRoadster
In this case, rebuilt title means it’s been professionally repaired and the manufacturer has signed off on it being fully operational again.

@DeedWest, are you certain that Tesla has signed off on the work? I was under the impression that Tesla was not endorsing the work of 3rd party rebuilders like Medlock or Gruber. What documentation does Tesla provide showing they are comfortable with the work?

@DeedWest, are you certain that Tesla has signed off on the work? I was under the impression that Tesla was not endorsing the work of 3rd party rebuilders like Medlock or Gruber. What documentation does Tesla provide showing they are comfortable with the work?
As I understand it, you can pay for a certification after it’s repaired to ensure there are no issues with the HV battery and other electrical systems. If it doesn’t pass, they won’t work on it apart from simple servicing such as alignment & tire swaps. This one in particular was certified in 2015 according to the shop that repaired it.

Hi DeedWest, sort of off Topic. since you have owned many roadsters which one has been
your favorite. Do you like a certain color the best? What do you prefer 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 ?
are you still looking for the perfect roadster to buy. Will you buy a new Gen Roadster ?
Hey Lou,

I’m grateful to have owned a few since 2014, but in 2019 I found both of my forever Roadsters. I always gravitated towards the 2.5’s, as I spent the most time building Electric Blue 2.5 Sports on the old Design Studio while they were still in production. I did a ton of production research over the years, but was bummed to discover nobody ordered an Electric Blue with Executive Dark Gray and both exterior/interior carbon accent groups. So I kept searching for one I could piece together. I nearly bought 1457 before it bricked in Chicago, but I’m glad I didn’t. A few months later, the mythical Ion Blue VIN 1462 I’d never seen clear photos of, fell into my lap.
CEA2CBF5-1D5F-4619-ACE6-6B713A4FEEAB.jpeg

Had I been able to custom order my own car in 2011, I’d have built it identical to 1462. I’ve spent more time staring at it in the garage than I’d care to admit. It’s still not real to me, and I’m still trying to figure out how to live forever so I never have to live without it.

Between my 1.5 and 2.5, the 1.5 sees the most usage and gets daily-driven. I enjoy the sound of the 1.5 powertrain the most, and even with the Stage II Sound Reduction kit, it’s noticeably more enthusiastic sounding than the 2.X cars. The shifter is easier than the buttons during daily driving, and the prototype feel of the interior is just awesome. Plus, there’s no 12V battery to replace, no 1144 fan errors and the PEM stays cleaner for longer periods of time compared to the 2.X. However, I greatly prefer the 2.5 seats, the Sport is noticeably quicker, the 2.X cars have much better A/C for Texas weather, and the glove box is extremely underrated.

I don’t think there’s a Roadster color I dislike, but if I could grab another I’d kill for a Racing Green over Executive Saddle. I’ve always been a huge fan of British sports cars, and that spec is just iconic. It would have to be a 2.0 so I could complete the set. ;)

While I definitely respect the next gen Roadster, I’d much rather pick up a couple more original Roadsters instead. And now that they’ve finally updated the Model S tail lights after a decade, I’d love to have one of those. Plus, I probably need a “regular” vehicle at some point. :rolleyes:

Anyway, happy hunting for more orphans!

Last edited:
While I definitely respect the next gen Roadster, I’d much rather pick up a couple more original Roadsters instead. And now that they’ve finally updated the Model S tail lights after a decade, I’d love to have one of those. Plus, I probably need a “regular” vehicle at some point. :rolleyes:

#FirstWorldProblems. 😉

2010 Tesla Roadster
VIN:
5YJRE1A12A1000880
Mileage: 32,359
Price: $125,000
Twilight Blue 2.0 Base in Thousand Oaks, CA for sale on Tred.com. Base cast wheels, soft top, Base beige interior, aftermarket Kenwood, SMC, CAN-JR, CAN-SR. Previously listed as an orphan here.

2010_Tesla_Roadster_kzi2y.jpeg

Attachments

• CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2010 TESLA ROADSTER_ 5YJRE1A12A1000880.pdf
    229.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 2010_Tesla_Roadster_cfl1n.jpeg
    2010_Tesla_Roadster_cfl1n.jpeg
    467.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 2010_Tesla_Roadster_fwxmp.jpeg
    2010_Tesla_Roadster_fwxmp.jpeg
    433.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 2010_Tesla_Roadster_oy1tl.jpeg
    2010_Tesla_Roadster_oy1tl.jpeg
    566.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 2010_Tesla_Roadster_n01jz.jpeg
    2010_Tesla_Roadster_n01jz.jpeg