TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Todays test drive

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Majerus, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Majerus

Majerus Member

I placed my order yesterday for an 85 with standard suspension, and 19" tires. Woo hoo! Today I was able to test drive a similar 85, however it had 21's. During the drive I noticed the suspension felt very stiff didn't absorb bumps as I expected really, and the road noise on the interstate was very noticeable. Are these both symptoms of the 21"s? Am I just being too picky ?

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

It depends on the tires and options may have changed; but I noticed a difference when I went from 21 to 19. The 19s were quieter and absorbed bumps better. However, the steering is not as sharp with the 19s.

These differences were not huge. I think the Model S is tuned closer to a sports car than a luxury car, so there will be some noise and harshness no matter what wheel/tire combo you get.

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Comparing the Goodyear 19s with the Continental 21s, I had the same impression.

4. lloyds

lloyds Member

You should also consider that with the 21s, your energy consumption would be more as well. The tires are noisier so it comes down to what you are willing to trade off.

5. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Standard suspension's stiffer-feeling too compared to the air suspension. That was my impression when I drove loaners without air, all other things - including 19" wheels - being equal.

6. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

19's with air suspension for best ride and range.

I remember when a Porsche fitted with 225/50-16's was exotic.

7. Newscutter

Newscutter Member

19's with coil suspension for best handling and durability.

:biggrin:

Oh.... here we go again....

8. Liz G

Liz G P03056

I'm so glad to here. Congrat!. Look forward to seeing you and your soon to be new ride at the STL gatherings.