Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Todd Burch's Delivery (S)tory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Todd,
Looks great!! We are thinking of the gray -- you love it? Want to take your first road trip up to Charlottesville? Come up on Sunday and I'll gladly provide you with a couple extra tickets the the UVA-UNC basketball game on Sunday night (we're going). :)

Scott

Thanks for the offer, Scott! Unfortunately, I'm going to have to pass this weekend as the Christmas decorations are coming down and I have a number of other chores to do (state inspection, take the kid to the optometrist, wash/wax the car for the first time, take the cats to the vet, etc.), not to mention the 2.5 year old I've got running around.

Do you have your reservation yet? Any chance you'll be in Hampton Roads before you have to decide on a color? I'd be happy to show it to you--just can't make the trip out to Charlottesville right now!

I do really like the gray. My wife loves it. I may possibly have been happier with black, or white if I got the performance version, but I do really like the gray. I actually haven't seen the black in person, but I just hear everyone telling me it's too hard to keep clean. I drove the white performance with the gray performance wheels and really liked it, but my wife didn't. Such a personal thing. Gray looks great--no regrets.

Got word I should get it Friday! Hope this is the first promise not broken ;) Looking forward to a little road trip on Saturday to Manassas...I-95 should allow some 'testing'.

9pm Thursday Update:

Nothing...silence. Tesla really needs to get some viable tracking method setup so they can actually tell people when their car is coming...If I sit around all day waiting and nothing happens I will be very upset.

11am Monday Update:
Still waiting...the Friday delivery promise was a "misunderstanding" by the DS and UPS...it was just getting picked up on Friday...not delivered. DS seems powerless with UPS...again Tesla needs to REALLY improve this process. If this were any other transaction I would have cancelled weeks ago...

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer, Scott! Unfortunately, I'm going to have to pass this weekend as the Christmas decorations are coming down and I have a number of other chores to do (state inspection, take the kid to the optometrist, wash/wax the car for the first time, take the cats to the vet, etc.), not to mention the 2.5 year old I've got running around.

Do you have your reservation yet? Any chance you'll be in Hampton Roads before you have to decide on a color? I'd be happy to show it to you--just can't make the trip out to Charlottesville right now!

I do really like the gray. My wife loves it. I may possibly have been happier with black, or white if I got the performance version, but I do really like the gray. I actually haven't seen the black in person, but I just hear everyone telling me it's too hard to keep clean. I drove the white performance with the gray performance wheels and really liked it, but my wife didn't. Such a personal thing. Gray looks great--no regrets.

Hey Todd,
We are normally a black or white car family, but liked the look of the gray. Still undecided. I do have a reservation but delivery won't be until late summer I believe, so I have plenty of time to decide. If I'm down in your neck of the woods I might just PM you to see the gray in the flesh -- always hard to make a $100k decision based on internet pictures!

Have fun with it!

Todd

Really enjoying this thread. Like many others, I struggled, until the very last minute, to justify a Performance 85, but in the end I couldn't quite do it. Like you, I slightly preferred the seats, the CF trim and the dark wheels on the P85, but on my rough loan numbers, that would have hiked my monthly payments by about $150, which I just couldn't justify. So, I've settled for the exact same spec as you, except I went for the matt obeche trim, and it's due in about a month. It's great to hear you think the non-perf is plenty fast enough, and that you're not having a lot of issues, spending any mount of time on the Tech/Mech issues thread is enough to scare anyone!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Todd,
We are normally a black or white car family, but liked the look of the gray. Still undecided. I do have a reservation but delivery won't be until late summer I believe, so I have plenty of time to decide. If I'm down in your neck of the woods I might just PM you to see the gray in the flesh -- always hard to make a $100k decision based on internet pictures!Have fun with it!

Us too, or silver. Based on months of indecision, we decided to split the difference and go with grey :) My current car is black, as have many of my previous cars, and the family SUV is silver. The latter shows no dirt even if it's unwashed for months, mine shows it about 10 minutes after spending 3hrs cleaning it. White cars are not my thing (I'm from the UK, and they went horribly out of fashion in the early 90s). So decided on the grey as I think it blends nicely with the rear lights, is dark enough to look nice and shiny when polished, but is silver enough to at least hide a little dirt.

Hi Todd,

Congrats on the car, looks fantastic. I was getting a gray 40kwh but decided to reconfigure with Red. My wife and I used to do our weekend training rides in Smithfield, starting at the visitor center but now we usually do a route in Williamsburg. We looked at some houses on Church street a few years back, but I could never convince her to commute by ferry. :)

-Aron

However, as others have seen on their cars, there were a few people having trouble getting the passenger door closed. (I think it's fine, but it does require just a bit more effort than the driver's door). I'll see if it can be adjusted, but if not it's not a big deal to me.

I second the passenger door issue. Not a huge deal, but it is different from all the other doors. My service guy made an adjustment, but it's still different. If anyone has had this problem and got it resolved, please share what the service person had to do to get it resolved? Thanks!

Hi Todd,

Congrats on the car, looks fantastic. I was getting a gray 40kwh but decided to reconfigure with Red. My wife and I used to do our weekend training rides in Smithfield, starting at the visitor center but now we usually do a route in Williamsburg. We looked at some houses on Church street a few years back, but I could never convince her to commute by ferry. :)

-Aron

Sounds like there will be about 4 Model S's in the Williamsburg area within a few months!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm now leaning to the 21"....

Hopefully not because of my pics ;).

OK, so an update for anyone who cares:

500 miles and almost a week of driving, no significant issues. Still loving EVERY mile, and still loving when I have to go out to do errands! :)

I've found that with a little bit of practice, it's fairly easy to find the "coast" point. At this point, you do not see the orange power consumption bar OR the green regen bar--you are coasting--which is the most efficient way to slow down.

Cupholder position is definitely not ideal. I picked up some Wendy's drive through Friday evening. With the Wendy's cups in the cupholders (they fit just fine), I had to keep my right elbow inside of the armrests. Not a huge issue as I don't often have liquids in the car, but this is a design issue that needs to be addressed in the next significant revision of the interior. Nobody's perfect, but surprised Tesla dropped the ball on that.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm finding the open space between the driver/passenger seats to be useful, but some enclosed storage would be nice to keep things from rolling around.

Still no squeaks or rattles. VERY solid feeling/sounding cockpit.

I gave my punch list to Tesla ownership today. (Called).

Here's the punch list of issues with my car:

• Passenger door requires some extra oomph to close. Every single person who's ridden in the passenger seat has initially closed the door with insufficient force to close it completely. Not the end of the world, but an adjustment to improve this would be nice. This issue has been widely reported.

• Pano roof requires several "Open" commands to actually open. After several repeated attempts I can get the roof to open on the first try. Still not clear to me if this is a software threshold issue, an adjustment issue, or an "adhesive" issue. This issue has been widely reported.

• Ambient lights cause buzzing when the touchscreen brightness is below about 90%. This issue has been widely reported.

• My frunk cubby has a poor looking unfinished surface. (Looks like the finish has been scuffed off, see earlier pictures).

I live in a somewhat rural area and only get 1 bar of 3G coverage, so I have a cellular repeater to boost the signal in my house. In order for the car to use it, I need to provide the car's phone number to the repeater. I have requested it, but am not confident I will receive it from Tesla.

I also submitted a list of suggestions and bugs to Tesla:
  • Suggestion: Tesla needs a suggestion/bug reporting system for customers. (It needs one for this suggestion, ironically!)

• Bug: A faint, brief bit of static can be heard when changing volume levels. Very slight.

• Suggestion: Voice control should control other things like pano roof opening, climate control, etc. Very likely already penned for a future update.

• Suggestion: The trip meter needs elapsed time since reset. I like to compare multiple routes to get to work to see which one is the fastest, shortest, and most energy efficient. Having an elapsed time on the trip meter is easy to add and helpful in this respect. Or: How long has this trip taken? I would like the trip meters to either have a "pause" button or a way to store the values. So, if I take route 1 to work, I can "pause" the trip meter when I get there, and the distance/energy used/time elapsed pauses. When I get home, I can write these numbers down.

• Suggestion: Voice control music search should include other sources than Slacker--bluetooth and USB, for instance. Very likely already penned for a future update.

• Suggestion: Music metadata (album, artist, year, etc.) should be displayed on media screen. Currently I think this is only done with internet sources. Should work for MP3s and AACs as well. (Note: album artwork isn't pulled for all formats that support it either--at least I don't think so. Need to investigate further). This is likely already planned for a future update.

• Suggestion: Playlist support is needed. (Probably already planned).

• Suggestion: When playing from a USB source, remember where I stopped off, even if car has gone to sleep. I keep having to scroll through to find the song I was playing when I parked and continue from there.

• Suggestion: Support ALAC. For someone like me whose music library is in iTunes (FLAC not supported--argh), I'd like to have a lossless music source that I can still manage in iTunes.

• Suggestion: The web browser needs code optimization. It pans/zooms slowly.

• Suggestion: It's a bit tricky to place the cursor with your touch when editing a text field. The interface needs a "loupe" a la iPhone.

• Suggestion: The walk-away door lock distance threshold is too high. The other day I had to walk completely across the grocery store parking lot (parked far away to protect against dings) before the walk-away locks engaged.

• Suggestion: There needs to be an option for the horn to beep for walk-away door locking. In the previously mentioned grocery store parking lot situation, I had to stare back at the car and look at the lights to see that it locked. Without it, while walking away I have zero confidence that the car is actually locked.

• Suggestion: The threshold for presenting the door handles is a tad too close. I have to be within about 4 feet of the driver's door for the handles to come out. I'd prefer something like 8-10 ft.

• Suggestion (bug?): If the touchscreen is out of signal coverage for awhile, when brought back into a coverage area it takes a long time to pick the signal back up.

Hope somebody finds this useful, for some reason or another :).

• Suggestion: Voice control should control other things like pano roof opening, climate control, etc. Very likely already penned for a future update....
  • Suggestion: Voice control music search should include other sources than Slacker--bluetooth and USB, for instance. Very likely already penned for a future update......

Both demonstrated by Elon long ago?