Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Todd Burch's Delivery (S)tory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When cleaning the car again today (for tomorrow's newspaper interview), after the handles auto-presented I placed the key fob in my pocket and began to vacuum the inside of the car. Of course, after a minute, the handles retracted--although the car stayed unlocked. Naturally, as I moved around the car the auto-present triggered again and the handles presented again. This resulted in about 5 cycles of door handles popping in and out. Finally, I put the FOB on the roof. While stationary, it no longer continued to trigger the auto-present sequence.

I'd suggest that the door handles, after being presented, ought to just stay out until the car is either locked or put into drive or reverse. Not sure why they need to retract after 60 seconds.

Washed and waxed again today. Car looks great. I need to do the clay bar or Zaino thing, though. I looked for Zaino at Advance Auto Parts today and--no luck. They seem to be a Turtle Wax/Meguiars shop.

The car is still performing superbly.

Went to the grocery store and got a LOT of groceries in the frunk. It's so much fun putting groceries in there, because of all of the funny looks you get from people who think you're stashing your skim milk next to the fuel injector :eek:

Of course, after a minute, the handles retracted--although the car stayed unlocked.

If the handles are retracted, isn't the car effectively locked? Would unlocked doors allow you to press and open the handles without the fob? I haven't tried this since my car is always set on "lock when walk away," but this now makes me more nervous since I didn't realize that retracted handles don't necessarily mean the car is locked. Is the only way to tell if the car is locked when you have the fob by looking for the lights to flash once?

If the handles are retracted, isn't the car effectively locked? Would unlocked doors allow you to press and open the handles without the fob? I haven't tried this since my car is always set on "lock when walk away," but this now makes me more nervous since I didn't realize that retracted handles don't necessarily mean the car is locked. Is the only way to tell if the car is locked when you have the fob by looking for the lights to flash once?

If the car is unlocked, yes you can press the handles to extend them and enter the car, so retracted handles aren't effectively locked. And yes, it's hard to tell (from what I can tell) that the car has locked. I have several times been a LONG way from the car before it locks. 've requested (as have others) that the horn beep when the car locks, and the threshold for locking be closer to the car. That should help.

I also requested that when the car is parked, the door handles stay extended until the car is locked. That would provide a visual for you that the car is in fact locked.

Ran several errands today since I have the day off.

Took the cats to the vet in the morning. Woman behind the counter came out, looked at the car, and asked what it was. She had never heard of Tesla. She said it looked really sharp.

Later I took the car to get a state inspection (required in VA), even though I don't have a title or registration yet. I asked if it would be ok if I drove it into the service bay, since it's a bit different than other cars. (The truth is I don't want some random dude smearing his grease on the seat ;).

When I pulled in, all four service guys dropped what they were doing and came over to look at the car. Then the 2 people in the showroom came back (it's an a local auto dealer). Then the two women behind the counter came back. The entire place (or what seemed like it) was all in the service bay, snapping pictures of the car, texting their friends, and oohing and aahing at the door handles and touchscreen. They were smitten.

Lots of "that looks so sweet", "those headlights look mean", and other accolades. This car is so much fun. I offered a ride to them, but they all seemed afraid to touch it! What they didn't know is that the drive is even better!

Finally, they said they weren't sure what to inspect...they made sure the headlights/taillights were working and did the paperwork. All 4 of them stared at the car as I silently left the service bay.

Random driving dynamics observation: The regen tapers off to zero for the last few MPH before you're stopped. This means the car may coast awhile and you need to tap the brakes to stop. I'm thinking I might like the car to continue regen longer until it's nearly stopped, but wonder if you just can't get enough braking force at 2-3 MPH with regen. If so, I'd like this as an option (Regen To Stop: ON).

Random driving dynamics observation: The regen tapers off to zero for the last few MPH before you're stopped. This means the car may coast awhile and you need to tap the brakes to stop. I'm thinking I might like the car to continue regen longer until it's nearly stopped, but wonder if you just can't get enough braking force at 2-3 MPH with regen. If so, I'd like this as an option (Regen To Stop: ON).

As far as I know, all cars that have regen capabilities do this (regen cuts out at 6 mph on the Prius). There is not much braking energy at that speed and the friction brakes need to be scrubbed regularly to insure they will work when needed.

When cleaning the car again today (for tomorrow's newspaper interview), after the handles auto-presented I placed the key fob in my pocket and began to vacuum the inside of the car. Of course, after a minute, the handles retracted--although the car stayed unlocked. Naturally, as I moved around the car the auto-present triggered again and the handles presented again. This resulted in about 5 cycles of door handles popping in and out. Finally, I put the FOB on the roof. While stationary, it no longer continued to trigger the auto-present sequence.

I'd suggest that the door handles, after being presented, ought to just stay out until the car is either locked or put into drive or reverse. Not sure why they need to retract after 60 seconds.

Washed and waxed again today. Car looks great. I need to do the clay bar or Zaino thing, though. I looked for Zaino at Advance Auto Parts today and--no luck. They seem to be a Turtle Wax/Meguiars shop.

The car is still performing superbly.

Went to the grocery store and got a LOT of groceries in the frunk. It's so much fun putting groceries in there, because of all of the funny looks you get from people who think you're stashing your skim milk next to the fuel injector :eek:

I like PINNACLE Souveran Carnauba Wax. It's pricey but it works great! Q: Why are you claying your car already? Isn't clay used if you have imperfections in the paint surface i.e. bug/tar, oxidation, etc?

Pinnacle Souveran™ Carnauba Paste Wax shimmers on black paint, dazzles on red paint. World's Finest Carnauba Wax. Car wax, carnuba car wax, paste wax, pinnacle wax, paint protection, car wax for black car, wax for red car

Q: Why are you claying your car already? Isn't clay used if you have imperfections in the paint surface i.e. bug/tar, oxidation, etc?

Ummm.. I dunno? I think I've washed my Model S in one week as many times as I have previously in my entire life (not quite). I heard that claying a car will improve the look when waxing, even on a new car.

My car has microscratches here and there in the clear coat (I think pretty much all were there on delivery. Nothing dramatic or significant)--and from what I can tell Zaino will fill those in pretty good.

The black glossy surface on the top of the car has some microscratches that hopefully Zaino will fill in as well.

Took the CEO of a $750M company for a ride today. He LOVED it! (I think he's going to get one once the Model S goes to the UK!) OK, I've sold 3 cars in a week now. Where's that commission check, Tesla? :)

MVPA Page 3 of 4
Buyer acknowledges that Buyer is not now nor, as a result of this transaction will Buyer become, a dealer or distributor of Tesla Motor Vehicles.
you gotta read the fine print.