Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tokyo Showroom

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
Tesla in Tokyo: Palo Alto electric car maker opens first Asian showroom in Japan -AP

Tesla, the U.S. maker of electric sportscars, opened its first Asian showroom Monday in a fashionable Tokyo neighborhood, hoping to woo rich buyers before eventually widening its appeal with cheaper models.
20101025__ecct1026tesla%7E1_GALLERY.JPG

20101025__ecct1026tesla%7E2_GALLERY.JPG

20101025__ecct1026tesla%7E4_GALLERY.JPG

Yeah, I noticed that too, I wonder what it's VIN is. Does Japan have some large taxes on the Roadster or something? It starts at ¥12.76 million which is equal to almost $160k according to Google's calculator.
All of the cars in the pictures are LH Drive whilst Japan is RH drive, so they are probably demos that will go back to California once they have enough stock in Japan.
If you think the cost of a Roadster in Japan is high, I was quoted $Aus 225,000 for a Roadster in Australia. Most of the impost comes from our "Luxury Car Tax" and there are no federal incentives for low or zero emission vehicles in Australia just yet. Currently the $US and the $Aus are close to parity.

Last edited:
I live in Tokyo and just leased a new base model Roadster at 3.9% for a 7 year lease. The Japanese govt' has now cut the rebate to $32,500 which you get even with a lease -- when an unspecified amount of allocated rebate money for EVs runs out, the subsidy will actually end (hybrids also got rebates for a year or so until their subsidy money ran out a few months ago. Now you only get money back for full EVs). The 12.76 million base charge includes 5% sales tax, so actually the pre-sales tax number works out to about 9.5 million yen, or $111,000 in US dollars. However, if the yen/$ rates reverts back to the 90-100 range from around 80 yen now, the car really starts to look like a bargain here. All sorts of vehicle taxes (probably around $1000 per year) are waived for EVs in Japan, and free public charging stations are starting to appear. With gasoline at $5.50 per gallon in Japan, and off-peak electric rates at 10 cents per kw/H, EVs really look compelling in this market; Tesla is generating incredible interest here to say the least, and almost every person I know here wants to get a Roadster or Model S. The first Tesla store just had an opening party 2 days ago drawing droves of guests and completely packing the new showroom. Elon is probably correct that Japan will become Tesla's 2nd biggest market.

Thank You benji4.

A bunch of us in LA were interviewed for Motor magazine there. The call originated from Tesla and the writer and photographer were very very interested in everything about the Roadster. They sent me a copy and it was a 6 page spread so I saw this coming.

I hope you enjoy your driving!

The 12.76 million base charge includes 5% sales tax, so actually the pre-sales tax number works out to about 9.5 million yen, or $111,000 in US dollars. However, if the yen/$ rates reverts back to the 90-100 range from around 80 yen now, the car really starts to look like a bargain here. All sorts of vehicle taxes (probably around $1000 per year) are waived for EVs in Japan, and free public charging stations are starting to appear.

Ah, thanks for the info Ben. I guess the price really isn't too bad after all.

With gasoline at $5.50 per gallon in Japan, and off-peak electric rates at 10 cents per kw/H, EVs really look compelling in this market;

Wow. Having never traveled outside of the U.S. the closest thing I've seen to gas prices in that range was the $4+ per gallon I saw in Hawaii.

I've visited the new Tokyo store a number of times and it's gorgeous. Tesla is really aiming for an upscale image here in Japan -- no jeans and polo shirts for the store personel like the Menlo Park store, but rather 3-piece suits for the guys and business suits for the ladies. Lots of very rich-looking, well-dressed potential customers frequent the store as well. The location is one of the more upscale parts of Tokyo and as you can see in the photos, Tesla has built the store vertically as space is at such a premium here. I have no doubt that this store is by far their most expensive to operate so far. There are 4 parking spaces and at least one high-power charging station inside the building on the first floor, and owners can come and charge their cars there anytime for as long as they want. It's actually a great deal because if an owner is in that area of town and needs to park, they can do so for free and charge their vehicle for free as well. Tesla staff tells me free charging stations are going to start going up all over the city and many outside the city as well... The opening party was amazing, they had professional race car drivers and 3 demo cars driving people around the area, lots of great food, beautiful ladies walking around serving drinks, and various live entertainment including a DJ and a magician. Elon was at the event as well and gave a talk about Tesla's new business here, and he even sold a car to somebody right there at the event and signed the contract right there at the party! The first group of buyers here in Tokyo (including myself) were presented by Elon a framed signed letter of appreciation with Elon and Arnold Schwarzenegger's signatures. The party went on for something like 5 hours, the first 2 for customers, etc., and the final 3 opened up to the public at which time the whole building got incredibly packed. It was really quite a scene -- a great party, and great way for Tesla to kick off their business in Tokyo. By the way, I believe they have sold about 20 cars or so here so far (as they are just about to sell out of the Japan Signature series which was 20 cars, plus a few other ones such as the stripped-down standard version I bought!). Mind you, they sold these cars without even having the store opened really, so I think they are looking at some pretty good momentum as they kick it off. Model S is going to sell tons here, it will really be off the charts. It's great to see a US car maker getting into this market like this as you just don't see GM, Ford, or Chrysler at all here.