TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Told sudden permanent 15 mile loss of range is "normal"

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by aviators99, May 4, 2013.

1. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

I just got the car back from service (13,000 miles). I'm pretty disappointed to report that they say that there is no problem with the battery, and my overnight 15 mile range loss is normal function.

I have a 5.5% loss for max charge and 3.3% loss for standard charge. They claim to have run diagnostics and everything checks out okay.

2. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

I'm not too happy with that Vamp loss either. Last night mine was 9 miles from standard, which seems a bit higher than it has been.

3. aviators99

#3 aviators99, May 4, 2013
    Last edited: May 4, 2013
    I am not talking about vampire loss. I'm talking about range loss at the time a charge finishes (the maximum at either setting).

Edit: Sorry, realized my subject was confusing. I didn't mean that overnight I was losing range. I mean I lost capacity overnight, and from that point on, it has been 5.5% lower. I will see if I can get the subject changed to: Sudden permanent 15 mile loss of range is "normal"

4. Mnlevin

Mnlevin Member

that could be a real problem if you want to go on a cruise or vacation and leave the car at the airport. 10 * 15 means you would lose 150 miles of range. Could be a problem getting back to where you came from... that doesn't seem right to me

5. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

So you're seeing around 225 rated miles for a standard charge?

6. wstuff

wstuff Junior Member

I have found a few miles drop if I don't use the car after it has been on charge for a while, but I have backed the car out of the garage to get at things easier and then put the car back in and plugged back in and the miles mysteriously reappear, i don't think it's a case of degradation it may be more a case of battery temperature and gauge sensitivity that is actually measuring the charge.

7. markb1

markb1 Active Member

That amount of permanent range loss is pretty alarming. I'm still a little confused by what you mean by "overnight". Did you lose that 5.5% suddenly, in one night? That would be totally unacceptable, IMO.

8. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Remember the recent update that adjusted the range indication calculation based on pack temperature? Wonder if that's at play here and it's not actual degredation? It would go along with the idea that everything (cell/module voltages) checked out. Not sure the service guys really would know what normal degredation is.

This seems like an issue for JB to address.

9. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

What version are you running? (did they update you during service)

10. aviators99

No. 235 from 243. Rated now 258, from 273.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes.

- - - Updated - - -

They claimed that engineering checked it.

- - - Updated - - -

This started happening some time after the 4.4 upgrade.

11. Oside2lv

Oside2lv Member

I only have 3500 miles on my MS and I have noticed some change in overall charge from time to time. I attribute it to temperature and battery reporting. I'm sorry to hear about your issue. Keep us updated as I'd like to know the final outcome.

12. Oside2lv

Oside2lv Member

Do you charge to 100% a majority of the time or 80%? When I charge to 100% I get the battery longevity warning. Could this be a factor?

13. rlawson4

rlawson4 Member

Seems the common issue is the lack of information as to what the standard charge should be etc. Information would clear up a great many things.

14. aviators99

Very rarely to 100%. Only 3 road trips and 3 or 4 high local travel days, compared to many Standard charges in my 13,000 miles.

15. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I think I said this in an earlier thread, but it's hard to fault them for losing range they didn't promise in the first place. A normal full charge for a new car is 265 miles. If you got more than that for a while that was a bonus. They are certainly going to only start counting range loss from 265 miles. That's only a 2.6% range loss after 13000 miles, which does seem normal.

16. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

There's now word going around that rated range does indeed take driving habits into account. Someone on the Tesla Model S owners Facebook page said that a Tesla service employee from the factory told him this.

I don't believe it for a minute, but thought I'd toss it out there.

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I believe that's a widespread myth among Tesla employees. I'm pretty sure they're just confused between Projected and Rated.

18. rlawson4

rlawson4 Member

I have been told that as well. I do expect a decrease in range. I just want the best information.

19. aviators99

My understanding was that it would decrease somewhat gradually; not over one night. Do you really think that this is normal?

20. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I agree it's weird, but I'm not sure it's indicative of a problem. While I don't necessarily believe the thing of it taking driving into account, there definitely is software strangeness around showing miles remaining (look at the adjustment they made for reporting cold battery miles remaining in 4.3 that was entirely a software issue). If they say there's nothing wrong with your battery, I'd just believe them. If after another 12000 miles you've lost an additional 15 miles of range that's one thing, but otherwise I'd be inclined to just chalk it up to the mysteries of life. The fact is that your current remaining range seems normal. For myself I know the first time I did a range charge I got 273, and one month (and 1000 miles) later when I next did one I got 265. But since 265 is normal, I didn't really think much of it.